RCA shorting Plugs

CDFixer

Number 1 USC Trojan Fan
I have found a source for the RCA Shorting Plugs used in the unused phono jacks of the Sansui receivers. I have not seen these but I am ordering a couple to see what they look like.

Here is a copy of the e-mail from Allen and Heath

Hi, Jim
The part you requested is in stock right here outside of L.A. The plugs, part #AL4396, retail for $2.30 each US. We can ship UPS COD or accept Visa or MasterCard for prepayment. Contact me in the parts department at the 800 number below to place an order.
Thanks
Charlie Nickrenz - Parts
Allen & Heath USA Service
5304 Derry Ave. Unit C
Agoura Hills, CA 91301
800-431-2609

I talked to Charlie he is sending me a couple of samples. I will post pictures of them once I receive them.

Are these Sansui Specific? Just curious if there is a 'universal' spacing other int's might share.

Cheers,
Russ

These are universal, they are a single RCA plug with the center pin shorted to the outer shell. They are used to terminate the phono inputs on Receivers and Amps.

Anyone got a picture of one of these things ?

Not yet I have they are sending me two samples. As soon as I get them I will post a picture of them. I should have them in a couple of days. They are here in the LA area.

:yippy:

I've got a bunch of pairs that I've done that to....but the idea is to have something that looks nice.

This guy from allen and heath was really quick. I received the two samples from him today ( talked to him at 3:00pm yesterday).

Here is a photo of the shorting plugs.

Ok, I'll play the village idiot.

I thought we were talking about pre out / main in jumpers.

What's the purpose of these shorting plugs? Why would I want to 'short' the phono (only) inputs?

Cheers,
Russ

Unused phono inputs should be shorted...the high gain of a phono stage introduces noise that can and does increase noise levels on other input stages...

...most gear with more than one phono input came from the factory with them, but have been lost over the years, along with the little 'warning tag' to not use them on the tape jacks.

Last edited:
Originally posted by CDFixer
Also here are some that I have been making recently.
You made those??? They look storebought....

Anyway, the ones from Allen & Heath look most excellent.

Ok guys, here's the secret

I buy bulk RCA jacks at my electronic store along with 1/2" shrink tubing.

I also buy some 1/2" bumpers from the electonics store.

I unscrew the connector and short the two connections together.

I then use a boxcutter and cut the barrel in half.

I screw the barrel back on the connector and seal the open end with one of the bumpers

I cut a piece of shrink tubing the length to cover the entire barrel area, and shrink it with a heat gun. I start at the top so it folds over the bumper then shrink the sides.

I have attached a collage of pictures.

The shorting plugs are used on the "unused" phono inputs. With out an input load these high gain amps can radiate noise throughout the system and raise the noise floor on the outputs. These shorting plugs can reduce hum and all other kinds of noise. You do not want to use them on any other inputs.

Back
Top Bottom