Re-kindiling need a lttle direction.

Earth Juice

I'm new here and looking for a little guidance/direction. I'm looking to get back into some vinyl listening. I would like to know what components I should be looking for. I'm not looking for a crazy system. Just a good solid 2 channel system. It needs to be able to play at somewhat louder levels since: It will be in my 30x31x12 garage. Thanks for your Time.

Location?

Also, why don't you drop $25 for a one year subscription and that red banner under your name. This opens up more forums, including Barter Town the buy sell trade wanted forums for all things AK and then some. If the ads don't show what you may determine you need, just put of a WTD and gear will come flooding out of the collections of those that have too much.

You need 60wpc, reasonable speakers and a turntable that won't suffer when hit with the sound waves. Receiver with tuner or integrated amp without or separate preamp and power amp and tuner if you want a fancy stack.

That system starts at 300 or less, very well bought* or a couple hundred more for good gear at fair prices. Sky's the limit. * a good turntable with a decent cartridge in nice working condition is a couple bills these days.

Reactions: ESP
Power requirements are largely dependent on the speakers chosen. Nobody can just throw wild-assed guesses as to how many watts you"ll need to achieve your desired results. You could be fine with less than ten watts or you may need a couple of hundred to get "there." I've had systems with 15 watts get me to the "call the cops," bring on the eviction notice levels and I've also had systems where a hundred watts wasn't enough for me. Blanket generalizations are of little value in the real world. :)

What these guys said above. I would also try your local CL and get an idea of what is available in your area. If your not sure if the prices are reasonable for you, cross reference them with completed listings on that auction site.
Good luck.

Budget I'd say about 1g. I right now have a 5.1 set up that has a nice sound to it. Yamaha RX-V665 with a full sapphire audio(towers, sub, sat's, center). I guess it's what you would call the boston sound. By the way I live in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach. CL suggestion is really not that great of source in these neck of the woods.

But willing to consider used gear if it was available and good quality?

Do some reading in the Speakers forum, especially threads with "Which speakers?" in the title. This will get you some ideas. There are quality bargains out there, and there is a lot of crap too.

CL does not look THAT bad. There's a pair of Vandersteens on there right now, although perhaps a bit high priced. I'm sure something decent and affordable will show up. Is it too far to Wilmington or Charleston?

There's a pair of Klipsch Kg 5.2 on Charleston CL for $250 right now. That's a super price for those. Their slightly smaller brothers, the 4.2, are going for that much or more. Very efficient, so 50-100wpc would be plenty.

Power requirements are largely dependent on the speakers chosen. Nobody can just throw wild-assed guesses as to how many watts you"ll need to achieve your desired results.
Well actually you can give a general wild-assed guess at what power is needed, but you are right in that the power requirement is driven by the speakers used. That 60wpc will do about 15 or so dB above the 1watt/1meter sensitivity of the speaker and the entry level for the more inefficient speakers is about 85dB meaning the 60watter will give a nice 100dB as a viable maximum. Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have those "call the cops" speakers, CV, Klipsch and a number of other horns or the Sadism and Masochism speakers from Infinity SM line that get loud easy and will produce 110-115 dB with that same 60 watts so if he has 60, buying a receiver or amp first, he is not limited to LOUD speakers and can consider most anything.

It is a completely different world than when we were buying this crap new. One does not walk into the local store and put together a system. One needs to jump when a good opportunity comes by on CL or where ever. Not like you can insist on buying a certain collection of gear and have it happen easily. Sure some time spent here, cl and the bay may allow one to gather that collection but at what eventual cost compared to just getting some nice gear that works well together.

Last edited:
All good stuff I'm hearing. I didn't think I was just going to buy and be done with it. I know used gear it is but, I haven't the slightest in manufacture's. I mean I know Pioneer, Marantz etc, etc... When I was a kid I had a nice Pioneer receiver. I think it was around 80 watts per. A neighbor had just put it to the curb it had static when you turned the volume knob. We had a place in town that serviced audio equipment cost 50 to have it fixed. The guy told me it would cost 300 for something that would match it. Had a set of EPI's which ones couldn't tell you. A cousin gave them to me. A Technics linear tracker the nicer one I remember saving up for it and installed a nice Stanton cartridge. I later added a Sansui graphic eq. Then a Technics 5 disc carousel. I can't remember the tape deck. I knew nothing then. It was all just thrown together equipment. It worked and from what I can remember pretty darn good. Now that I know just a little bit more and my ear is a little more discernible. I'm wanting more out of my listening experience.

One nice thing is that most vintage gear plays nice with each other. I have one system that is all one brand just because I wanted at least one of my systems that way (Marantz). But my other mixed systems sound great as well.

For a great setup, I’d recommend getting an Adcom system. For the price you pay, you get a lot for your money. Not so sure about their new products but I’m sure they’re similar in quality and performance. A good setup, still allowing you to plug in your turntable, would be getting their gfp 555 preamp and their GFA 555 amplifier. A bit costly, but it is a great setup that will last. My Adcom system, the tuner, cd player, surround, pre amp and power amp is still going strong, so I highly recommend it.

I was thinking maybe something like my old system I had. With an upgrade in the speaker department something in the KLH/AR/Advent brands. They would have to be able to play at louder levels. Like I said before they would be in my shop.

I was thinking maybe something like my old system I had. With an upgrade in the speaker department something in the KLH/AR/Advent brands. They would have to be able to play at louder levels. Like I said before they would be in my shop.
I just don't know what to be looking for. Which are better units and, which should I just dismiss. I see a lot of vintage stuff on shopgoodwill for good money. There is some cheaper stuff but, I don't know If I should go after It or, valuation.

Those are good speaker brands, good reputation. Have you ever considered Polk speakers, especially the vintage ones. Their Monitor 10’s are pretty good and affordable

I just don't know what to be looking for. Which are better units and, which should I just dismiss. I see a lot of vintage stuff on shopgoodwill for good money. There is some cheaper stuff but, I don't know If I should go after It or, valuation.

I’d say to avoid making the mistake of getting “cheap” vintage stereo gear. I’ve made that mistake countless times, finding stuff at the GW or thrift shops and it usually ends up breaking down shortly after. It may seem like a steal at first, but when the problems start to appear, it’s not good. I’d say you should get something that you know will last for a long time, is reliable and will perform the way you want it to.

Dont dismiss Realistic speakers. for the most part they are pretty decent and can be had fairly cheap. I have had a bunch and just picked up a set of Optimus 5s and they are freaking incredible. Very similar to my recapped and rebuilt KLH6s, which are also an excellent choice. KLH speakers along with Advents are usually safe bet as are the Marantz Imperial 5 and 6 along with the HD series. Some of the favorites on here like the Dynaco A 25 (which I own) can be a little over priced sometimes in my opinion but are really nice if you have a space problem.

Speakers that look nice often sound nice because they have not been sitting out in the shed subjected to cray temperature and humidity swings.

That's a big room you are talking about filling up. And I suspect the acoustics in a garage that large to be challenging at best. The vinyl isn't going to serve up the extreme high or low end response that digital or even tape would. So super reveling speakers aren't needed, and may be a waste. But they will display every pop and tick on the record.
I suggest you consider something like the very common $200 Kenwood KL777 series. I'm very happy with my KL777A for loud, clean, fast, rock, jazz, voice...….even acoustic piano. Affordable, 98 DB sensitive, good range, handles 100 watts and parts are available at good prices. You will need about 80 watts on occasion with the Kenwood. It's not one of the little darling speakers but has it uses. And this is it.
I don't think the little KLH, Advent, Ar...…... type bookshelf speakers will step up to the job on this one.
The big throaty Wharfedale and Bozak will if that smooth sound doesn't get lost in the bright room. This is not a job for the mighty Rectiliner 111 either. They need to much power but wont handle enough of it. Then boom goes that fine pricey mid driver.

P1140009.JPG P1140008.JPG

Or try the infamous Realistic MachOne by default.

I’d say to avoid making the mistake of getting “cheap” vintage stereo gear. I’ve made that mistake countless times, finding stuff at the GW or thrift shops and it usually ends up breaking down shortly after. It may seem like a steal at first, but when the problems start to appear, it’s not good. I’d say you should get something that you know will last for a long time, is reliable and will perform the way you want it to.
I've been buying electronics from GW for years and have had good luck. Granted, the low-end stuff is not generally built to the same quality standards as better equipment, so I wouldn't expect the same reliability or longevity. Much of the equipment I'm finding was likely donated because the previous owner upgraded and didn't want the hassle of selling it or maybe didn't feel safe meeting strangers to sell. They don't make money donating to GW as sellers do on eBay and CL. I've seen a lot of junk, but I've also seen and purchased very good equipment at amazing prices - Dynaco ST-70 tube amp, Sony ES receiver, smaller Klipsch KG's of some model, Denon stereo receiver, Epson projector (almost new). All those have been purchased from GW for prices way below CL or eBay and are perfectly performing.
I will say that the quality and selection of GW electronics varies from place to place depending on the demographics of the area. The one that I try to visit once a week has an area for things to be tested, though most pieces generally get some sort of basic testing before going onto the shelf. I have a really small pair of speakers with wire that I take with me when checking out amps and receivers. My iPhone with an 1/8" to RCA cable provides the source. There's even a GW online store that ships. I'm not saying that GW is the end-all of used electronics, but it's just one more source that one can use.

That's a big room you are talking about filling up. And I suspect the acoustics in a garage that large to be challenging at best. The vinyl isn't going to serve up the extreme high or low end response that digital or even tape would. So super reveling speakers aren't needed, and may be a waste. But they will display every pop and tick on the record.
I suggest you consider something like the very common $200 Kenwood KL777 series. I'm very happy with my KL777A for loud, clean, fast, rock, jazz, voice...….even acoustic piano. Affordable, 98 DB sensitive, good range, handles 100 watts and parts are available at good prices. You will need about 80 watts on occasion with the Kenwood. It's not one of the little darling speakers but has it uses. And this is it.
I don't think the little KLH, Advent, Ar...…... type bookshelf speakers will step up to the job on this one.
The big throaty Wharfedale and Bozak will if that smooth sound doesn't get lost in the bright room. This is not a job for the mighty Rectiliner 111 either. They need to much power but wont handle enough of it. Then boom goes that fine pricey mid driver.

View attachment 1456575 View attachment 1456576

Or try the infamous Realistic MachOne by default.

KLH models like the 17 may be too small but the 6s with 60+ will rock that garage to the foundation. The same with my Optimus 5s.....when I had them on my Marantz 250/1060 with 125 wpc was rattling the paint off the walls. Small Advents have a ton of oomph but will need a really good condition unit to drive them. The OLAs will be a fine choice as well. Also speakers like your CS99s or my CS 88s would be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom