Re-Painting a CD Player Case?

Fury161

Checking in to see if anyone has any experience with this?

I have a Sony CD player, metal case, that has a few scuffs and whatnot. I'd like to tinker with cleaning it up and re-painting it but not put a ton of work into it either. I'm thinking I give it a quick sand with a light grit (220-sh) sandpaper to allow for adhesion, then hitting it with a couple light coats of a hammertone spray paint.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?

Yes, personal experience with this type of project. Be sure to wipe down the case with mineral spirits to remove any traces of dirt, fingerprints etc. Results can be very satisfying. :)

@BigElCat I just found an old solid steel industrial table out in my dad's long-abandoned shed. Going to get some small shelves welded underneath it, remove all rust and pitting, and likely paint. I believe the paint you linked to would be amazing for results.

This steel table is about 150 lbs. Even has holes to anchor to floor. Serious stuff, going to clean it up for my top-shelf gear (aragon 18k pre, Threshold amp, Technics SL-1400mk2 table).

Should turn out great.

@BigElCat I just found an old solid steel industrial table out in my dad's long-abandoned shed. Going to get some small shelves welded underneath it, remove all rust and pitting, and likely paint. I believe the paint you linked to would be amazing for results.

This steel table is about 150 lbs. Even has holes to anchor to floor. Serious stuff, going to clean it up for my top-shelf gear (aragon 18k pre, Threshold amp, Technics SL-1400mk2 table).

Should turn out great.
Post 558 to see my commercial /retail shelves

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/gear-rack-stands.404390/page-28

if you don't use thick paint, the scratches will not be filled in with paint to the level of the surrounding area. Need to make the box smooth all over and then clean properly and paint. I don't know if hammertone will let the old scratch peek through the paint in the form of a low spot.

if you don't use thick paint, the scratches will not be filled in with paint to the level of the surrounding area. Need to make the box smooth all over and then clean properly and paint. I don't know if hammertone will let the old scratch peek through the paint in the form of a low spot.

The scratches and scuff aren't really too deep, just kind of obvious. For this starter project, I'm content with just disguising them a bit and giving the cover a bit more of a uniform black appearance.

I use enamel - i bit tougher - I've used it over hammer paint - flat black, turned out nice - satin is too shiny, IMHO

Back
Top Bottom