Re-Vinyl Pioneer BS22 Bookshelf Speakers

Tharbamar

This is my first post here on speakers forum but I've been reading here for long time. I changed the color on my Pioneer BS-22LR speakers inspired by this thread "Painted My Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs Orange"
I've been thinking of doing the same since the day I've got these speakers, never was a fan of black speaker boxes.
I choose 3m Red Gloss vinyl as my color of choice, also very easy to apply and only took about 30 minutes on each and I get rid of the grill holes.

Treated with Dynamat on top and bottom and ( 4 ) 1.5" braced on the sides and Sonic Barrier acoustic foam as Dennis Murphy mods but I did not change the tweeters or crossover because I wanted to keep original design.
Also these speakers are perfect match with my Denon PMA-2000MK IV in my second system and it sounds better with Denon than using with my Parasound Halo separates.
I'm planing to use these speakers for long time, at least they look and sounds better than before.
Thanks of viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. Makes the Pioneers look much more expensive than they are. One could mistake those for a high end boutique brand.

That looks terrific! Is that a vinyl wrap? Any specifics on applying it? I like how you got rid of the grill sockets and left the backs black.

Pretty high end back end for $100 speakers! No wonder they sound good!

Completing the DMurphy mod takes them to the next level though. Plain difference when testing with one speaker upgraded and the other not.

That looks terrific! Is that a vinyl wrap? Any specifics on applying it? I like how you got rid of the grill sockets and left the backs black.

Yes, It's vinyl wrap. This is my first ever vinyl wrapping experience of any kind but I use my experience with applying iPhone/iPad screen protectors and work out great for fist timer. Thank you.

Those turned out great! I'm seriously tempted to try it on my own.

How did you cut the vinyl to make it look so seamless on the curved corners where the sides meet the top? Is there any overlap between pieces?

Thank you, you should try it for sure.
I use very sharp razor blade and steady hands to cut it nicely, no over lapping at the corners but these vinyl wraps are very easy to cut through.
I use 12"x50" vinyl sheet for each speaker, at first I wrap one big sheet from the bottom of the box to the top around the front and cut excess vinyl and apply the sides. One tip to makes it easier to cut is apply the heat before you cut the edges, it should make it easier to cut.

I made a youtube video of the speakers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom