Realistic 400 direct drive turntable.

RichTassoni

I really like my pioneer semi auto PL turntables, I seen a Realistic 400 turntable there full auto with some neet functions. And they look nice anyone ever use one, I looked it up some pretty good reviews on them solid table. And I'm not the biggest fan of fully auto, but if the price is right I might.

I have one in daily use and love it. It's all original except for needle replacement. Reliable, precise, and great looking, too.
I have a pioneer PL 514 that works great, I've been after good pioneer PL 518 but they just keep getting pushed out of my range or they have some issues with them that I don't want deal with. How would you rate the Realstic Lab 400 against these two, welcome your input thanks.

I have a pioneer PL 514 that works great, I've been after good pioneer PL 518 but they just keep getting pushed out of my range or they have some issues with them that I don't want deal with. How would you rate the Realstic Lab 400 against these two, welcome your input thanks.
I have no experience with Pioneer tts except for a friend who has a PL71, which is real nice. His hasn't been shut off even once in more than 10 years. His only problem has been a burnt out neon speed bulb, which I guess is normal given the circumstances.

Thanks for all of your input on the Realstic Lab 400 I've been looking at, I made the purchase it looks mint owner said it's was serviced and tested with a new cartridge.

The Marantz fanboys hyping their 6300's beyond reason don't realize the RS Lab 400 is nearly the same unit to be had for $300 less:eek2:.

The Marantz fanboys hyping their 6300's beyond reason don't realize the RS Lab 400 is nearly the same unit to be had for $300 less:eek2:.

Don't believe in everything one reads on the internet.

The Marantz 6300 and the Radio Shack Lab 400 have completely different tone arms for one thing.

marantz-6300-platter.jpg

417491-realistic_lab_400_turntable.jpg

Check the tone arm pivot.

Check the specifations, they are completely different too.

Marantz 6300
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/marantz/6300.shtml

Radio Shack Lab 400
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/realistic/lab-400.shtml

The Marantz 6300 and the Radio Shack Lab 400 have completely different tone arms for one thing.

marantz-6300-platter.jpg

Check the tone arm pivot
A day late and a dollar short as my mom would have said lol.

I bought a Lab 400 in 1978. It has been my primary turntable continuously since then without any trouble at all. Of course it no longer gets the regular daily use that it did early in its life. I still expect that it will perform as well the next time that I play an album just the same as it did last week.

Whether or not same turntables is not the issue from my perspective. It is the fairly low and 5 db difference in rumble specs that puzzles me. Specs such as these were not and still are not standardized enough for a consumer to make a judgement concerning performance.
My Scott amp is about 36 WPC RMS. But, if you go by some other silly ratings of the day, it can be considered a 500 WPC [possible lots more] power-house. I remember 500 WPC Electrophonic combination components with such inflated ratings.

marantz-6300-platter.jpg

Marantz 6300

Radio Shack Lab 400

They have differences in tonearm, but do share the same basic CEC Japan DD mechanism. The LAB 400/LAB 420 is simpler to fix of the two on the arm mechanism. Same level of performance (the Marantz is a little nicer). But for that nicer, you do pay the Marantz tax.

marantz-6300-platter.jpg

Marantz 6300

Radio Shack Lab 400
I bought a lab 400 this year mint condition thinking I would like a fully auto but I sold it and used the money towards a mint pioneer PL 518 outoreturn I had been looking for to go along with the pioneer PL 514 I have.

I really like my pioneer semi auto PL turntables, I seen a Realistic 400 turntable there full auto with some neet functions. And they look nice anyone ever use one, I looked it up some pretty good reviews on them solid table. And I'm not the biggest fan of fully auto, but if the price is right I might.

Sold many of those when I owned a RS franchise, very reliable. Classy looking TT and came with a 2 X 7 Shure made elliptical stylus. Enjoy it!

The Marantz and the Realistic are both built by CEC. The drive units are likely very similar even if the tonearms are not. The 420 has a slightly better motor than the 400.

The CEC/Visionik branded DD-8200 (also sold under the Project/One and Quadraflex lebels here in the states) has another relative of the same direct drive motor.

I believe that all of the 20 pole version of the motor (DD-8200, LAB-420, maybe the Marantz? Can't tell from the specs) utilize the same stator and bearing design, but there are differences in the servo feedback system. The DD-8200 has a secondary coil built into the primary winding that picks up the rotor speed, whereas at least one of the LAB models has a secondary set of coils with a secondary set of magnets to pick up the speed. The difference between these two systems could account for some of the spec differences.

Back
Top Bottom