Realistic is usable.

quiet

Addicted Member
The quick guide to the Shack. Let's start at 40 watts and cut it at 1980.
If it's not on the list you may not want it if you have thirsty speakers.
If you want pictures and info go to the catalogs.
Avoid the STA-250!
MODEL-------------YEAR-------RMSx2-------RETAIL
STA-180---------------72---------60--------------400
STA-120B-------------73---------40-------- -----300
STA-150---------------74---------35--------------350
STA-225---------------75---------50--------------400
STA-250 --------------75---------44--------------320
QTA-770---------------75---------65x2-----------600
QTA-790---------------74---------70x2-----------600
STA-90-----------------76---------44 -------------360
STA-2000&D----------77--------75 --------------500
STA-235&B------------77--------55 -------------400
STA-2100&D----------79--------120------------600
STA-2200--------------80---------60-------------600
STA-240----------------80---------60------------430
STA-95------------------80---------45------------400
STA-960----------------80---------50------------?
STA-240----------------80---------60------------430
STA-820----------------80---------40-------------360

Last edited:
How about adding a ranking? I'm pretty sure the 2100 is #1 but I would be interested in how you rank the others.

Thanks!
Robert

I would but don't know anything about them, but would like to have one.
So I went though the Shack catalogs from 1974 when the first 40 watt rms Realistic receiver came out to 1980 when the slide rule dial started to fade away.
I listed them here so others could quickly decide if they are interested in a unit they find.
Now you know what it is and where to find it.
I have no interest in 10 to 30 watt Realistic receivers and assume few others do.
To tell you the truth I was hoping somebody else brings us up to speed on list.
From what I can tell the STA-90 looks like the real deal for mid-fi.

I will be happy to take the 10-30 watt units off your hands. For people that listen in the ~1watt range they are great. They may not drive a pair of inefficient speakers, but paired with a set of Realistic speakers from the same era they can be extremely enjoyable.

I have a STA-65 that runs Mach Ones just fine. It's a nice little unit. You are welcome to it.

Then one has to ask, what do you base "usable" on without any hands on use of the list you posted?
Pre-1980 and 40wpc minimum as stated. It is his criteria and we only know that much about the definition. Guess we roll with that for this thread.

I think they are better than some would have use believe. Some would have us believe that they are generally inferior compared to other units and are only to be used in the garage.

As I said the list is to help myself and others find information quickly.

If you want to have a unit as a representative you might as well start at 40 watts.
Hunting.shipping, repairing.............
If someone were to go though the catalogs and list the 40 and under that would be nice.

Last edited:
Me being a Realistic fan (most my gear is Realistic), would rank as follows:
And caveat this by saying, the 2100 is #1 only because of the power and perceived value (popularity as the BIGGEST/BEST RS receiver)...my personal fave is the STA-2000.
and one more caveat.. this is all "opinion" and highly biased...
Annnnd I think I went past 1980 on a couple

1) STA-2100
2) STA-2100D
3) STA-2000
4) STA-2000D
5) STA-2080
6) STA-90
7)STA-2200
8) STA-2300
9) STA-95

Just my worthless .02

Ben

Me being a Realistic fan (most my gear is Realistic), would rank as follows:
And caveat this by saying, the 2100 is #1 only because of the power and perceived value (popularity as the BIGGEST/BEST RS receiver)...my personal fave is the STA-2000.
and one more caveat.. this is all "opinion" and highly biased...
Annnnd I think I went past 1980 on a couple

1) STA-2100
2) STA-2100D
3) STA-2000
4) STA-2000D
5) STA-2080
6) STA-90
7)STA-2200
8) STA-2300
9) STA-95

Just my worthless .02

Ben
Only a couple,the 2300(120 watts) from 82 and 2080(80 watts) from 81.
I think I would like the big ones too but if everyone wanted a big one someone would get left out.
So I'm looking at midway stuff that's comparable to say Sansui 5000a, Heath AR1500a, Rotel RX800, Pioneer SX780.........That I'm using now.

Attachments

• P2160003.JPG
    P2160003.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 60
There was an integrated amp or two above 20 wpc also. I have a 20 wpc SA-1000A integrated with matching TM-1000 tuner and Optimus 2B speakers I use in my garage. It was the first system i ever bought new back in the 70's. I recapped it and it sounds pretty good. The bigger 40 wpc gold faced integrated had two power meters and the TM-1000 tuner was the matching tuner also. 1976 I think.

I'd like to hear one of these early Radio Shack receivers sometime. I worked at Radio Shack in the 90s for a few years which was after all of of this cool classic gear was long gone from the catalog. The Mach speakers were still in production though. We had mainly moved on to AV type receivers at that point with most of them being re-branded Pioneers. We did have a cool line of speakers at the time with the Linaeum Dipole tweeters. I still have a pair of the Pro LX8 with the peerless mid/woofer, a pair of Pro LX5, and a pair of LX5 that are later RCA branded that have an improved woofer and sound better to my ears. I haven't broken the LX8s out in a few years though because with the Linaeum tweeter they take more power to drive and I have always found the midrange lacking. Still a nice sounding speaker though if you give them a little EQ or have a mid control on your receiver. I know a little off topic but since we're talking Radio Shack, thought I'd chime in. Definitely have a fondness for Radio Shack stuff. My opinion as a former employee is that there were always "gems" in their line if you knew what products were good, either by testing them or word of mouth. We had plenty of time to play with things and test them because the shop I worked with in a mall was DEAD during most hours of the day.

There was an integrated amp or two above 20 wpc also. I have a 20 wpc SA-1000A integrated with matching TM-1000 tuner and Optimus 2B speakers I use in my garage. It was the first system i ever bought new back in the 70's. I recapped it and it sounds pretty good. The bigger 40 wpc gold faced integrated had two power meters and the TM-1000 tuner was the matching tuner also. 1976 I think.
I saw the integrated units. I haven't moved in that direction because of the space they need.
I would not be able to get as many comparable maker in the mix to play with.
Right now I'm looking for a 40 to 60 watt Shack unit to see if it can hold it's own against the rest. So instead of a good one I want a better good one.

I worked in one in the 70's for a short time in a mall that was pretty dead when new. Now it's closed up for good. Two levee breaks and floods did it in for good. The store was at the far end so we tended to blast music down the long hall with the Mach 1's. I didn't stay long though. Just when you sold enough to get commission the quota would change.

I worked in one in the 70's for a short time in a mall that was pretty dead when new. Now it's closed up for good. Two levee breaks and floods did it in for good. The store was at the far end so we tended to blast music down the long hall with the Mach 1's. I didn't stay long though. Just when you sold enough to get commission the quota would change.
You were there at just the right time.

I keep an eye out for the SA-1000 non A version. I was direct coupled. Then the SA-1000 came out and it was cap.coupled. the DC version was short lived. I never understood going to cap coupled over the DC version.

I keep an eye out for the SA-1000 non A version. I was direct coupled. Then the SA-1000 came out and it was cap.coupled. the DC version was short lived. I never understood going to cap coupled over the DC version.
What year and watts?

Back
Top Bottom