Realistic is usable.

I think OP's original list leave out lots of great Realistic gear.
And it is far more than 'usable'.

I bought a (near-BOTL) STA-430 receiver a couple of years ago at GW's buy-the-pound.
It made 10 W/ch, and it sounded great! I really liked it. It sounded BIG!
I gave it to a kid who wanted to get into vinyl.
He has been using it for a couple of years now.

I recapped an STA-90 that I drug out from under a pile of damp clothes at a thrift store.
That receiver is truly excellent. It feels way more powerful than its power rating indicates.

I currently have Optimus 5B speakers in the living room system, and supplement them with a pair of Minimus 7s for songs that benefit from a little more emphasis of mid- and high-frequencies.
I run a pair of Optimus 1Bs in my bedroom system.
Both Optimi are excellent speakers.

The Minimus-7s are excellent as well for being such small speakers. For music without a strong bass line, they are all you need.

Last edited:
Yes, I did intentionally omit lots of fine under 40 watt units. I have a very nice STA-65, not enough power. That's the short list I used to speed my search for a unit with more capabilities. It was placed here for use by anyone else with the same desire.
I was hoping to get an STA-90 but it just wasn't coming to the door for $100 like this most excellent 40 watt STA-120B did.
It would be very nice of you to go through the catalogs and index all of the under 40 units. So they can be added to the list.
Should be at least 50 I would think.

I wasn't knocking your efforts on the list.
I was simply pointing out that there are many worthy receivers from RS that were below your 40W/ch power level.
I have had several sub-20-watt receivers (one was Realistic) that delivered outstanding sound quality.

Yes absolutely. Lots of outstanding sub 20 receivers. I was out to get a 40 watt Realistic receiver that was competitive with other 40 watt receivers from Pioneer, Sansui, Sherwood, Kenwood, Sony, and so on. So far it looks like the STA-120B definitely is.
It would be nice if the list had all the receivers on it.

There were some pretty good 100wpc receivers in early mid 80s.

STA2500
STA2600

I am sure there were others.

Why not include some 80s realistic gear?

Give me a year and watts so folks know right off the bat what it is and where it is so we can stick it to the list.
Thanks.

As much as I dislike volume sliders I’ve always wanted to check out the STA-225. 50 wpc RMS @8 ohms from 1975.
1_f0ee19cfefbb7145766bb1d5eb87c0cc.jpg

I have an STA 85 arriving tomorrow....did not plan on getting one but snagged it uber cheap on eBay when nobody else bid on it. I had one before and gave it to another AKer when it got fried. Rated 35 wpc, it was closer to 40 I think. And unusual for the 70s it was black metal faced.

s-l1600.jpg

I have had an STA 95 that I sold and kick myself in the ass for doing so since it was my uncles since new and he gave it to me in perfect condition.

I liked how the STA 90 sounded but did not like the plastic faceplate.

STA 82 and 84s were well made and sounded nice, but not a lot of power. They looked like Cadillacs next to my Pioneer SX 680. The 680 had more power but did not sound better and the case was pure crap.......the Realistics were a step down and still looked and felt better.

There is a cherry STA 2000D on eBay right now that is near me and I could pick it up but I think it is too much by about a hunsky.

I ALWAYS stop and look for anything Realistic. Even if I dont want it, I am still interested in it.

Know let me get this straight. Your loving uncle gave you a perfect condition STA 95 that he had used since he bought new and you sold it. I can see where you might no be happy about that.
Go get another one and forget about it.. You will fell much better.

I have an STA 85 arriving tomorrow....did not plan on getting one but snagged it uber cheap on eBay when nobody else bid on it. I had one before and gave it to another AKer when it got fried. Rated 35 wpc, it was closer to 40 I think. And unusual for the 70s it was black metal faced.

s-l1600.jpg

I have had an STA 95 that I sold and kick myself in the ass for doing so since it was my uncles since new and he gave it to me in perfect condition.

I liked how the STA 90 sounded but did not like the plastic faceplate.

STA 82 and 84s were well made and sounded nice, but not a lot of power. They looked like Cadillacs next to my Pioneer SX 680. The 680 had more power but did not sound better and the case was pure crap.......the Realistics were a step down and still looked and felt better.

There is a cherry STA 2000D on eBay right now that is near me and I could pick it up but I think it is too much by about a hunsky.

I ALWAYS stop and look for anything Realistic. Even if I dont want it, I am still interested in it.

I just gave a beautiful STA-85 to a friend of mine last summer. I picked it up a long time ago for next to nothing because the power switch was fried. I recognized the symptoms right away and knew what was wrong (sizzling noises, panel lights flickering and buzzing coming from the amp) so the first thing I did was take apart and clean the power switch then install a relay to take the load off of the weak switch. Nowadays I use a TRIAC to do this but back then I used a small relay. Never had a problem since and it was a very nice unit but I wasn't using it so I passed it on.

Note that the power switch is a problem on this model, so if it starts giving you trouble do sparky's mod or put in a simple relay and you'll be fine. Probably best to do the mod before the power switch goes bad, it's gonna happen anyway (just like the switch on a Kenwood 4070).

Know let me get this straight. Your loving uncle gave you a perfect condition STA 95 that he had used since he bought new and you sold it. I can see where you might no be happy about that.
Go get another one and forget about it.. You will fell much better.

Yep, there is a thread about it somewhere. At the time I was buried in stuff and a friend fell I love with it. So I sold it along with a pair of Small Advents. A great combo. I thought I was moving from receivers and into integrateds .....because all the cool AKers like those better right? Well now I decided I need both and screw what people think.

I just gave a beautiful STA-85 to a friend of mine last summer. I picked it up a long time ago for next to nothing because the power switch was fried. I recognized the symptoms right away and knew what was wrong (sizzling noises, panel lights flickering and buzzing coming from the amp) so the first thing I did was take apart and clean the power switch then install a relay to take the load off of the weak switch. Nowadays I use a TRIAC to do this but back then I used a small relay. Never had a problem since and it was a very nice unit but I wasn't using it so I passed it on.

Note that the power switch is a problem on this model, so if it starts giving you trouble do sparky's mod or put in a simple relay and you'll be fine. Probably best to do the mod before the power switch goes bad, it's gonna happen anyway (just like the switch on a Kenwood 4070).

The receivers I use are in the bedroom (two systems) and are hooked up to Sansui timers so their power switches are rarely used.

The 85s are super handsome and well built.

Last edited:
Yep, there is a thread about it somewhere. At the time I was buried in stuff and a friend fell I love with it. So I sold it along with a pair of Small Advents. A great combo. I thought I was moving from receivers and into integrateds .....because all the cool AKers like those better right? Well now I decided I need both and screw what people think.

Dad gave me a rtr. Best friend loved it. Gave it to best friend. Dad still brags about rtr to best friend . Everyone's happy.
And we still have three rtr's in the house I have to keep running for Dad. Need more best friends.

As much as I dislike volume sliders I’ve always wanted to check out the STA-225. 50 wpc RMS @8 ohms from 1975.
1_f0ee19cfefbb7145766bb1d5eb87c0cc.jpg

My STA-225 came back home recently from repairs at a local shop. It's been with me quite awhile as I bought it new in the mid 70's but had been stranded in a closet the last decade or so as I cycled through some of the more well known brands. Now that I've had it back playing music for a couple of weeks, I'm reminded of why I was satisfied with it as my #1 receiver for all those years. Connected to a pair of Smaller Advents, it can really rock. Swap in a pair of EPI 100 speakers and it does classical with a sweetness that can bring tears to my eyes (thank you KMFA 89.5). Not saying that it surpasses the lovely Pioneer SX-828 but it doesn't take much of a backseat either.

I sure wish I still had my old Radio Shack Nova speakers. I recall those as being a nice pairing with the 225.

The 120B I picked up continues to perform as desired in the 40/50 watt class. It gives up nothing in general to the other brands but the sliders aren't the hot setup for me. The Optimus 5B speakers work very well with it. I can't fault the 5B speaker in it's class. This combo would have put good music in a lot of homes at a price point.
That's what it's doing right now, all I have to do is let it happen. Realistic continues to do what it's always done. Good sound at a good price.
I want a STR-180.

Be careful what you wish for...

I worked at RS from '69 through '74. The STA120 was the big gun until the 180 came along (disregarding some of the lovely Allied receivers we had for a short while)...almost immediately we were told the switch panel was "unservicable," and I recall at least one with a bad tuning wheel. Those push button switches were very stiff, could see how they could be trouble.

There is a thread here somewhere on restoring a STA180, a good read...and a lot of work. Get an STA65C, that was the workhorse ;)

If a 180 turns up that is working good I'll just have to take my chances and hope for the best.

I keep an eye out for the SA-1000 non A version. I was direct coupled. Then the SA-1000 came out and it was cap.coupled. the DC version was short lived. I never understood going to cap coupled over the DC version.
I believe I just bought a non-a version?
Found the matching tuner on eBay for cheap too!

Back
Top Bottom