Realistic LAB-400

Yamahaha

I just bought a LAB-400 while buying a record collection. It looked like a decent table and I vaguely remember these being sold at the Shack. Anyone know who actually made these?

I also need to fix one of the lid clips. the inner part came off thus the lid has only one functioning. No cartridge but judging by the cleanup I have to do I am sure if it had one it would have been toast anyway. Its actually in really good shape except for the fact you can tell its been sitting in the same corner of the same room without even a casual dusting now and then and in a smokers house. Myself I cannot handle this and it will get a complete in and out cleaning just to remain in my presence. Before I go thru to much trouble though any comments are appreciated as to if this table is worth several hours of my time. I have a few good table already.

The Lab 400 is an excellent turntable. It is made by CEC of Japan. They also made excellent turntables for Marantz. I have had mine since it was new and it has served me very well over all those years without any trouble at all. There is a lot of information on AK about the Lab 400, including sources for the owners manual and the service manual. Use the Google search function to search AK for lots of good reading.

And welcome to AK!

Nice turntable. If you are looking for a cartridge, those came with the Realistic by Shure R1000ED cartridge which was a rebadged Shure M75ED. Either of those or a Shure M91 would work great in your new turntable.

I had bought one from Radio Shack when new and got years of good service from it. I had it hooked to my Pioneer SX-450 with a pair of Zenith Allegro 3000 Speakers my father had got me in the late seventies. Listened to lot's of great albums on that Turntable-some things never change.....

Thank you for the replies thus far. I had a feeling about this one. Even in its grime coated state. The seller claimed he bought it new as a radio shack employee.

Sorry to chime in so late, OP.

Yes, agreed. You have a fine table there.

I too acquired a Lab-400 when they were produced. It was my first "Decent" table coming off a BSR budget table. I bought it as a Senior in High School and had it until my Senior year of College, when I upgraded to a direct drive Yamaha with Ortofon MC Cartridge to match my Yamaha CA-810 Amp, both of which I still have today.

The LAB-400 was a fine table. Upgrading to the Yamaha did nothing for Audiophiles sake, but elevated me in my Dorm-mates eyes. ;)

I wish I'd kept it, just for nostalgia. Like previous posters, a lot of wax was spun on that table before I upgraded.

when I upgraded to a direct drive Yamaha with Ortofon MC Cartridge to match my Yamaha CA-810 Amp, both of which I still have today.

Which Yamaha? I have a Yamaha YP-511 I have been enjoying. Another original owner find that was covering in a layer of filth when I got it with a Technics SA700

am currently running a new Yamaha As700 right now and its a fine amp as well.

I agree with the above posters as far as this being Realistic's best table. I own two, and im very happy with them. Well worth the elbow grease your about to put into it.

I agree with the above posters as far as this being Realistic's best table. I own two, and im very happy with them. Well worth the elbow grease your about to put into it.

I appreciate the posts. I am excited to get this thing cleaned up. Have to say I love the super 70's look of it.

Here it is DIRTY
IMG_0058_zpsb0da4d02.jpg

Here are the cover hinges. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement for the broken one please let me know.

IMG_0059_zps5e720ab4.jpg

4 cleanings later and the nicotine film is off. The loose switch was just a loose nut inside. Everything works. I stole the cartridge of my Yamaha YP-511 to test and I cant really tell a difference between the two.

One issue is the drop is really fast on the LAB. My other tables let the needle down easy. This seems to start that way then BAM its down.

IMG_0063_zps70ce8486.jpg

There is an adjustment for that. Damn, its escaping me how to do it right now. But my two LAB-400's drop as slow as can be.

Back
Top Bottom