Realistic LAB-440 Table

I'm not sure how close to the 440 it is, but I've got a Lab 430 that I use frequently. I'm sure there are much better tables out there, but it does a great job for me (though I'm not the most discrimminating listener in the world :stupid: )

Prior to the 430, I had a Pioneer belt-drive table that I liked a lot. But as the turntable began to age, the belt began to slip. Not all at once, but over time. It turned into a major pain in the butt, as replacement parts were not as easy to locate back then as they are now (with the internet).

One day, I finally had enough of the belt-slippage problem, and in utter frustration went down to the local Radio Shack (it was the only place nearby) to see if they had any direct-drive tables. I wound up getting the Lab 430 with a Shure 5X cartridge, and have not had to worry about belt slippage since.

Okay, so the platter weighs only slightly more than a frisbee, but the continuous stroboscopic speed monitor on the turntable's rim is very comforting -- you know at a glance if the speed is correct -- and the pitch control is right up front and easy to adjust. Also, this table has end-of-record return and shut-off.

FWIW

I got a picture of it if this might help. Looks like an old model just debating if i should get it off this guy.

pac2072627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom