Realistic Lab 440 vs Technics SL 23

dpg3

I have a Technics SL 23 that works fine but a Realistic Lab 440 came up for sale locally at
a decent price. Would the Lab 440 be a step up from my SL 23, is it a better TT?
**There was no info on the cartridge or stylus but I am going to find out.
$_27.JPG $_271.JPG

Probably equal. Have serviced quite a few SL-23s. They work well for what they are. I was quite surprised when I replaced a motor on a Technics. It was very small. But works very well. Not sure you would gain much. The game changer for me is the arm on the Lab 440. It has a half inch mount allowing you a much wider choice of cartridges. Your Technics uses a P mount, limiting cartridge choice. That said, if the price is right, I would get it.

I had an SL-23 for a while, and it had a standard removeable 1/2" headshell. Great table in my opinion. You'd probably be better off upgrading stylus or cart on the technics rather than spending money on the realistic that may need a new stylus anyways.

Why not both?

I have never owned a belt drive Technics, but their direct drive models from that era are about as reliable as you can get. The SL-23 was a rather low end model in the Technics line up, but it has stood the test of time. The tonearm on the SL-23 looks identical to the one on my MCS 6601 (basically an upgraded Technics SL-2000). I run a couple different vintage Shure cartridges (2215 - same as M75ED and R47XT - slight variant of the M95ED) and it seems to be a good match for these vintage Shure cartridges. I'm sure an M91ED would also be a good match, as would most any medium to low compliance cartridge.

At the time it was new, the LAB 440 was a higher end model, fully automatic, direct drive table made by CEC. I have one, and like the Technics direct drive models of comparable age it is the epitome of reliability. It has a lower mass tonearm, so a medium to high compliance cartridge will work well with it. I have run both the R47XT and a Signet TK10ML on mine and really like it with the Signet.

I was only half joking on the "both" comment. That's exactly what I do. I run the MCS with the 2215 and an EVG stylus for my used and questionable quality albums and save the LAB 440 with the Signet for my new and pristine albums. Of course, you could do the same with multiple headshells and cartridges/styli on a single table, but once I get things set up, I like to be able to just put on an album and let it play without constantly swapping things back and forth.

You can't really go wrong with either table, assuming the price is right. It really comes down to your preference in cartridges and styling.

I would pick the Lab 440. I have had a couple belt drive, p-mount Technics and while they performed just fine, they were definitely low end. I own a CEC made direct drive TT with what appears to be the same ADC style arm (mine is HH Scott branded) and it is a fine performer. As mentioned, the 1/2" mount is much more versatile than the p-mount. Personally, I prefer direct drive to belt drive.

Probably equal. Have serviced quite a few SL-23s. They work well for what they are. I was quite surprised when I replaced a motor on a Technics. It was very small. But works very well. Not sure you would gain much. The game changer for me is the arm on the Lab 440. It has a half inch mount allowing you a much wider choice of cartridges. Your Technics uses a P mount, limiting cartridge choice. That said, if the price is right, I would get it.
I talked to the owner, he didn't know what cart was on it or stylus and said he hadn't used it in awhile. Too many things to go wrong on a dormant table, I think I'll pass on it.

I had an SL-23 for a while, and it had a standard removeable 1/2" headshell. Great table in my opinion. You'd probably be better off upgrading stylus or cart on the technics rather than spending money on the realistic that may need a new stylus anyways.
I already upgraded the stylus on the SL 23 and it has an ADC XLM lll cart, so I agree I'm going to stick with the Technics.

Why not both?

I have never owned a belt drive Technics, but their direct drive models from that era are about as reliable as you can get. The SL-23 was a rather low end model in the Technics line up, but it has stood the test of time. The tonearm on the SL-23 looks identical to the one on my MCS 6601 (basically an upgraded Technics SL-2000). I run a couple different vintage Shure cartridges (2215 - same as M75ED and R47XT - slight variant of the M95ED) and it seems to be a good match for these vintage Shure cartridges. I'm sure an M91ED would also be a good match, as would most any medium to low compliance cartridge.

At the time it was new, the LAB 440 was a higher end model, fully automatic, direct drive table made by CEC. I have one, and like the Technics direct drive models of comparable age it is the epitome of reliability. It has a lower mass tonearm, so a medium to high compliance cartridge will work well with it. I have run both the R47XT and a Signet TK10ML on mine and really like it with the Signet.

I was only half joking on the "both" comment. That's exactly what I do. I run the MCS with the 2215 and an EVG stylus for my used and questionable quality albums and save the LAB 440 with the Signet for my new and pristine albums. Of course, you could do the same with multiple headshells and cartridges/styli on a single table, but once I get things set up, I like to be able to just put on an album and let it play without constantly swapping things back and forth.

You can't really go wrong with either table, assuming the price is right. It really comes down to your preference in cartridges and styling.

Why not both?

I emailed the owner and he wasn't sure of the cart or number of hours on the stylus, said he hadn't used it in awhile. That makes me nervous a TT sitting around, could have lots of problems. Sounds like I'd probably have to get a new stylus at the least and having just done that with my SL 23, not sure I want to spend more money on the Lab 440.

I would pick the Lab 440. I have had a couple belt drive, p-mount Technics and while they performed just fine, they were definitely low end. I own a CEC made direct drive TT with what appears to be the same ADC style arm (mine is HH Scott branded) and it is a fine performer. As mentioned, the 1/2" mount is much more versatile than the p-mount. Personally, I prefer direct drive to belt drive.
My SL 23 has 1/2" mount on the arm. But I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Lab 440!!
IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0166.JPG SL-23_3_zpsajgutvge.jpg

I just have a question about the Lab 440, I saw it compared to the Technics SL -1200 on another post here on Audiokarma. Was it really as good as or comparable to the 1200, I'm thinking of build and sound?

I emailed the owner and he wasn't sure of the cart or number of hours on the stylus, said he hadn't used it in awhile. That makes me nervous a TT sitting around, could have lots of problems. Sounds like I'd probably have to get a new stylus at the least and having just done that with my SL 23, not sure I want to spend more money on the Lab 440.

My LAB 440 sat unused in someones garage for over 20 years. If was filthy as heck on the outside and the cartridge was missing the stylus. I wiped it down on the outside, installed a new cartridge and it fired right up and worked 100% without any further maintenance. I wouldn't recommend leaving a turntable sitting around in an unheated garage for 20 years, but I was surprised how everything on this one, including all the automation features, just worked without any cleaning or lubrication of the mechanisms.

The worth of the table will depend on the cartridge, but I'd try to use the fact that the stylus may need replacing as a bargaining point to see if the seller will come down a little from his asking price. It's a legitimate concern with an older table, especially when the seller doesn't know the condition of the stylus.

I just have a question about the Lab 440, I saw it compared to the Technics SL -1200 on another post here on Audiokarma. Was it really as good as or comparable to the 1200, I'm thinking of build and sound?

I've never owned an SL-1200, but it's a legend. That said, I read a lot about the LAB 440, in several different forums, before I bought mine and could not find one person who had anything bad to say about it. It may not have the legendary status, and probably not the same build quality as the SL-1200, but its still a very well made, reliable table that will run a fraction of what an SL-1200 in comparable condition will cost.

MCM_Fan,

The SL-1200 is a baby Technics SP series turntable. Built for 18 hour a day use, easily built to be serviced and maintained (not a sealed motor). A trickle down studio machine. That is why I rated it better. And this is not dissing the LAB 440 (itself a very excellent CEC Japan made DD classic). The SL-1200 is fine enough, precision enough, and durable enough you'd never need any other turntable over your lifetime, it is that durable and reliable, and they perform to the highest studio standard in demanding environments.

The SL-1200 is a tank, that is why so many DJ's use them. They abuse them and they just keep going. That does not mean it sounds any better or will hold up any better than the Lab 440 in normal home use. I have a Technics SL-D2 direct drive and a CEC built HH Scott direct drive TT. I would give the nod to Technics for build quality, but the CEC performs equally well and I actually seem to use it more.

Back
Top Bottom