Realistic mach 2 speakers ...opinions wanted

JohnnyBoy83

I can get a pair for 30 bucks..anyone have any experience with them?

Are they better then Mission Renaissance 737R Speakers (current speakers)

The Mach 2's are a different animal than the Missions.
Alot more bass, what one could call a "party speaker", made for really turning things up.
The Missions will have a clearer and better refined high end.
Thought about stacking them? Both have their strengths.
Personally, I'm a fan of Mission speaker sound.
If you're cranking ACDC go with the Mach 2's

Far, far better sounding to me than the Mach Ones. YMMV, of course.
The midrange driver has a foam surround which is likely in poor condition and, as I recall, not the easiest thing for which to source a replacement.
That tweeter is actually quite nice -- best thing about these loudspeakers, IMO.

I suggest that you spend the $30 and see for yourself. Before judging them be sure to replace the capacitors in the crossover's since they are likely to be out of tolerance.

For some reason when I hear "realistic" im hesitant on anything ...im sure they have some decent things.

It's should be noted that some Realistic equipment was the name brand it was sold under and not the actual manufacturer of the product.

I had the Mach 2s and I would consider these to be a beginner speaker at best and I find the bass to be muddy/boomy sounding. I also feel that if Realistic made the Mach series with 12" woofers instead of the 15s I wonder how they would sound? I guess we will never know.

Last edited:
If you have a use for a speaker that plays best LOUD, Then you might want the Mach Ones. I bought a new pair in 1977. Sounded great with "Aerosmith" and "Rush" played at party levels, But for more laid back music you listen to at reasonable levels, I think your Missions are in a whole different league. Much more balanced.

I have always been a fan of Realistic equipment and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products if I wanted it. I'm glad many folks won't, Keeps these hidden gems price reasonable. I found them to be an outstanding value overall. Although their Mach ones are one of their most recognisable speakers, I think their Nova series speakers and T series towers are a far better choice. Much like the Missions, a smooth and well balanced sound at any volume,

For $30 and a potential refoam of the woofers, that's a definite yes. Listen to them for awhile and move them on if you don't like them. At least you'll know what they sound like in your surroundings and gear and could give an opinion down the road for others. I've owned both the Mach 1's and Mach 2's neither of which I've kept....but they were fun for short while.

I noticed "I had" is being used more than "I Have" but for $30 plus refoam and maybe a recap as well they would still be in the starter section for speaker selection! There is a thread on a custom Mach 1 including upgrades which included a bigger cab which I am sure did that speaker justice. If they would have only done this when originally manufactured like I said before...

"I had" is a pretty good indicator that said speakers weren't that satisfying. The speakers to watch for are the ones people keep.

A too large woofer (15") in too small a cabinet always results in boomy bass with no deep bass. Mach 2's are a perfect example. This is one of the problems with "Kabuki" speakers. However, they will play quite loudly with little amplifier power.

FWIW: I place Mach 1's in the same category.

@JoeESP9 gives a good overall description above. I say that if you have not experienced the Mach 2's and they are in overall good condition, and you have the time to perform a quick and cheap restoration go grab them. You should easily be able to get your money back if you decide they are not to your liking. Sell them and take any profits and apply them towards your next purchase, and the next, and the next. Most of us buy and try, decide to keep or move along, that's a part of the hobby.

Have often thought the best mod might be an extension of the cabinet in the form of a hollow "stand" attached to the bottom to increase enclosure volume.

- I think time is showing that Realistic/Radio Shack products from the 70s and 80s were actually worthy products. Some more than others, and for different applications. But worthy none the less. I routinely see "name brand" products from the same era that are not of equal quality.

- I remember seeing the Mach 1 speakers new in the store back in the early 80s and thought they were completely bad a$$. But I agree with others here when they Mach line is best suited for high volumes (party speakers) and the sensibilities I had back in the early 80s.

- From a collector perspective the Mach II could be fun to own, even though the application for their use is a little limited. And they are large speakers. But for $30, it sounds like a fun opportunity.

Good luck!

The Mach series is for sure a loud party speaker. The problem with them for me is that I dont listen at those levels and the speakers themselves are too big. If they were truly exceptional I would find a way to make them fit but alas they are not. Now the some of the Nova and Optimus series are hidden gems. My all time favorite is the Nova 6. I am kicking myself in the ass for selling them last month. I had them at the same time as Small Advents and they kicked their ass in all areas except for how deep they would go. I sold the SAs first and dont really regret doing it. The Novas I sold as a package deal with a Realistic receiver to a friend that wanted the set really badly.

I have a set of Marantz Imperial 6s that I sent out yesterday to get re capped and I put my old set of Nova 7s out to replace them til they are back. I expected them to be pretty mediocre with the 1060 amp but they surprised me: They are simply damned good speakers. Solid and tight bass with clean and clear mids and highs. All I have done to them is clean the pots and tighten up the cabs......not bad for a 45 year old speaker.

It is a shame that a lot of people's impression of Radio Shack speakers are influenced by the Mach series......there were many fine speakers besides them sold by RS.

20180821_100927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom