Realistic mach one. Just over hyped?

Why don't we agree to disagree rather than thread crapping on it.

I owned a pair recently (they were given to me) and I recapped them because I thought they sounded shrill to my ears. They were better after the recap, but not fantastic. I still think the Optimus-1 is a far better sounding speaker (as far as Radio Shack speakers go). Mach Ones are a horn loaded speaker and horns don't always sound good with certain equipment, not everybody's cup of tea either. There are those who dislike Klipsch K-horns and their decendants/derivatives too and we all know how glorified those are here. Face it, horns aren't for everybody. Neither are acoustic suspension, but those are the type of speakers that sound best to ME. Everybody has an opinion and they are entitled to it. I think more people remember the Mach One with rose tinted glasses rather than their ears though.
Quoted for truth...

But you also stated this comment, to try and stereo type people you don't even know, or know anything about them. Sometimes people feel that way, or that people are doing it to them from their own insecurities.
That was said as a joke, so maybe I should of had this posted also. :p

But I really get a kick out of those that can't resist crapping on Mach 1's, guess it gives them purpose.

But I really get a kick out of those that can't resist crapping on Mach 1's,
Or anything really,

guess it gives them purpose.

However we generally get it in threads where the equipment is out of reach or the people doing it think it's a wast of money.

I find irony in bodyblue getting all hot and bothered here, but go see all the threads he closes that are expensive equipment, cables and wires. You know all that snake oil stuff that his equipment is just as good .....or better and his reference point is never trying any of it, but is quick to bite the heads off on others hear that stated they never bought M1s

When I was young I owned a Radio Shack receiver and speakers that I purchased there. My sister lived in a huge wonderful home where they had Mcintosh Speakers, ML-4M's. and complete Mcintosh system. I much preferred my Radio Shack system as the Mcintosh system and speakers sounded very dull and muffled to my ears. But I was a young then and I am not sure I would have the same impression today as I did back then.

Last edited:
PS: That's good as my pet peeves are people belittling other equipment and eat the rich postings. That's why it caught my eye.
#1 pet peeve for me on AK is people bashing brands or models because they just happen to own something better. As Tom B. mentioned earlier, there are a lot of people that haven't listened to super high end speakers, and are happy with less. I moved on to much more expensive, and better sounding equipment, but never forget where it all started.

When I was young I owned a Radio Shack receiver and speakers that I purchased there. My sister lived in a huge wonderful home where they had Mcintosh Speakers, ML-4M's. and complete Mcintosh system. I much preferred my Radio Shack system as the Mcintosh system and speakers sounded very dull and muffled to my ears. But I was a young then and I am not sure I would have the same impression today as I did back then.
Between the huge catalog, and the beautiful blonde Radio Shack manager at our local store, I really had no choice back in the day. :biggrin:

It was actually my first established credit also.

#1 pet peeve for me on AK is people bashing brands or models because they just happen to own something better. As Tom B. mentioned earlier, there are a lot of people that haven't listened to super high end speakers, and are happy with less. I moved on to much more expensive, and better sounding equipment, but never forget where it all started.
For sure, people look at my sig and think I started there and don't know or have used anything else. Hell I still drag home the damnedest crap just because I have to try it. :p

Hell if we want to talk vintage, anyone else in this thread have a 1915 victrola?, how about a 1930 radio/ record player? To old :idea: how about a 1956 Zenith console with a Cobramatic? HiFi baby...ha ha ha I like the sound quality of our past audio, it's in my memories and my house so I can still listen to it today and not go by my memories alone.

I have a 1957 Zenith console. I'm putting a nixie clock in the top behind the dial glad and turning the bottom into a wine rack. I actually prefer the Mach 3's over the Mach Ones. The bass seems to come easier at low volume, I'm assuming the port helps. I do love to bring home gear on the cheap and mess around with it. I've been impressed with some equipment that should otherwise not sound so good. I AB'd the fully modded Mach Ones with a set of Heresy 1's. The Heresy's had a Dynomat treatment on the horns, some damping material on the inside of the cabs and a cap upgrade using the correct value 2.0uF. The Mach 1's seemed to cover everything better especially the lower end, although the music did sound like it was coming from a flat surface. The Heresey's did one thing really well, they made the music sound like it was coming from a broad space deep behind the speakers, a very live sound. It was fun listening to different genres back and forth on two iconic speakers coming from very different backgrounds.

For sure, people look at my sig and think I started there and don't know or have used anything else. Hell I still drag home the damnedest crap just because I have to try it. :p

Hell if we want to talk vintage, anyone else in this thread have a 1915 victrola?, how about a 1930 radio/ record player? To old :idea: how about a 1956 Zenith console with a Cobramatic? HiFi baby...ha ha ha I like the sound quality of our past audio, it's in my memories and my house so I can still listen to it today and not go by my memories alone.

No but I started off with one of those old 7' long bench systems with builtin speakers, turntable, 8 track, cassette deck, and radio. Quadrophonics. It wasn't even good enough to qualify as furniture and didn't sound all that great either. I'm not sure where my grandfather picked it up from but I listened to it incessantly for years.

The Mach 1's were a little before my time, but the Mach 2's are still some of my favorite speakers from back then.

Look at the title of the thread. I'm simply pointing out that there is a reason for RS's demise. Brand bash? They did an excellent job of that themselves.
RS is still going, not as strongly as they once were however. I don't recall RS brand bashing themselves. What exactly are you saying here?

RS deserves some respect for what they did for the home stereo industry back in the stereo glory days. Love them or hate them, they deserve respect.

I am not their biggest fan, but some of their speakers and receivers are some of the best bang for the buck out there.

RS is still going, not as strongly as they once were however. I don't recall RS brand bashing themselves. What exactly are you saying here?

RS deserves some respect for what they did for the home stereo industry back in the stereo glory days. Love them or hate them, they deserve respect.

I am not their biggest fan, but some of their speakers and receivers are some of the best bang for the buck out there.

Since the name and IP was just auctioned off for $15 million, I'd say they're pretty much gone. What they once were is no more and that's the sad part. A lot of analysts place the blame on the rise of online marketing; however, I feel that RS was uniquely positioned, but through the utter and repeated mistakes by management failed to take advantage of that position. That's what I meant by bashing themselves. Do you remember their Incredible Universe stores of the early 1990s?

Yea I think this thread has gone way off course. It's almost like I started one of those wire and fancy cable debates. I wouldn't say the mach one is worst speaker or the best. However for what they are there is nothing wrong with owning a set. Overall they are fine speaker for most people. Audio gear is all about what you like and these are not what I like.

The new owner which bought them today sent me a message that he's happy with them.
20170803_131720.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I think this thread has gone way off course. It's almost like a started one those wire and fancy cable debates. I wouldn't say the mach one is worst speaker or the best. However for what they are there is nothing wrong with owning a set. Overall they are fine speaker for most people. Audio gear is all about what you like and these are not what I like.

Overall I did like the looks of them and the new owner which bought them today sent me a message that he's happy with them.
View attachment 980046

I'm glad you found a buyer. That is an upside to Mach 1s. I apologize for taking your thread into the corporate problems of RS. IMHO, this thread did not rise to the level of a wire and cable debate.

Since the name and IP was just auctioned off for $15 million, I'd say they're pretty much gone. What they once were is no more and that's the sad part. A lot of analysts place the blame on the rise of online marketing; however, I feel that RS was uniquely positioned, but through the utter and repeated mistakes by management failed to take advantage of that position. That's what I meant by bashing themselves. Do you remember their Incredible Universe stores of the early 1990s?

Yes, Radio Shack is gone and done NOT still going as someone else said. ALL of their stores are now closed. The end of an era with nothing around to replace it.

Yes, Radio Shack is gone and done NOT still going as someone else said. ALL of their stores are now closed. The end of an era with nothing around to replace it.
Sorry, not true, our local Radio Shack is still open, just bought some capacitors and deoxit there the other day. But not much to choose from anymore, I'm sure the end is near.

The Shack,

I would go in there stores when I was a kid and liked there flyers for DIY projects, never did any of them but just the thought was cool.
They would have speaker cloth and everything, Oh the wonder as a child its part of what got me going in this hobby.
Then later on they always had the crazy adapter I would need in a pinch. They will be missed.

The Mach speakers: A buddy of mine bought a pair new, they sounded just OK to me and did not last.
( I vote for hype.) YMMV

Best-

Boozehound

Back
Top Bottom