Realistic Mach One Mid-range help

dneu201

I was hoping someone could help me. I did all the Tier one upgrades for my Dad's Mach One 4024a's based on Videolady's modifications. Upon listening to them I noticed one of the speakers' mid range didn't sound right. It sounds almost the same as the tweeter and not how the opposite mid range sounded.. Im not sure if its the felt under the mid range I added or if It was an issue with the recap. I did the unwind on all the coils and replaced with capacitors recommended on page 55 of the Mach One upgrade thread.

I checked my connections on the crossover but they all look correct. I checked the impedance of the mid range and it also looked fine. Any recommendations on what to check next?

Thanks.

Nevermind. I fixed my issue; the midrange had to be centered perfectly within the magnet. I noticed when I moved it around with the plastic cover off I could hear a change in the sound. I just put everything back together and it sounds just like the other speaker.

No. Neither one had it. I was able to get it perfectly aligned by listening to it while screwing back together.

This is probably a dumb question, but how does one go about unwinding the inductors? I've tried googling and searching the forums for a proper method, but I am just not well-versed in that as much. Do you just remove the wire the recommended amount of turns?

dneu201: Did you add the felt to the midrange as well as change out the caps with the newer recommended values? (i.e. change out the 22uf with 14uf, the 10uf with 8.2uf, and the 2.2 with 4) Also, what type of caps did you get?

Thanks!

Yes. Unwinding is EXACTLY how it sounds. Just detach it close to where it connects to the capacitor. You just need to disconnect one end but be mindful of the side that will unwind. Count the amount that needs to be unwound. Make sure to sand/scratch to reveal the silver core so you can easily solder it back.

I did add the felt, change the values, and used Dayton audio capacitors.

Hi probably been too long anyway, you add two or 3 caps to get your needed value say, an 8uf plus 2.2 and a 4.5 uf by way of example

Back
Top Bottom