Realistic Mach Two's

David Sayloe

I've come across a pair of Realistic Mach 2 speakers for sale. I'm new to the forum and dontnknownjack about sowakerz. In TT years I've bought a few and based solely on what I've heard their reputation was. Don't know if I'd known the difference. Anyway the e were offered firn$75 in pretty good shape. Rhey look very good. Minor scuffs bit know major scratches or sings in the wood. Tbeg sound good but again j don't know much. Are rhey worth the $75? I just bought a pair of B&O Redline 60.2 because I'd heardngrosing up that B&O made excellent equipment. I was going to pick up some Bose 301's, again because of rep but may wait because of these if these are good/better than the Bose. I'm using some 70's Vintage Marantz (SR2000, IA2232) Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah. The foam is real good. And their isnt any cracks or xhioa anywhere. The speakers look really good considering they're 80 vintage. They are bigger than unusually in use and kindofnwinder if the two is justified. Read a lot on here from people saying how much better they are than Bose, B&O, etc. But to be honest those 2 sou d pretty good and while j can tell the difference the both are what I consider good. I know enough to j is a pair of Soundesign $10 specials we used to get st A&P were deal but with the better ones just learning the differences.

Like What? Are my B&O redlines better? And if so, why? Are the Bose 301, 501 and 601's better? I can find those in my price range. 901's i would love to have (every teenage boy in the 70's dreamt of them along with Farrah Fawcet and a black Trans Am) but I can't find them jn my price range. Unlike most on here I can't afford $1000 speakers. Wish i could but that's life. Thats why im hoping to learn. Gives me something to keep me occupied. I know that there are good low cost speakers out there for those of us who just want decent sound we can afford.

If all the drivers are in good shape, the veneer is nice without chips or swelling, the cabinets are nice without seams separating, with nice grills pick them up and see if you like them. You may need to Deoxit the Lpads if they are scratchy. Experiment with placement in your space, what levels of the mids and highs you like. You might like them on some sort of risers or the floor. If you find out you’re not a fan clean them up, put a little Howard's on the veneer, and easily double your money.
Like most enthusiasts on this board you may go through many pairs of speakers before you find what you like, or worst case never be satisfied, and rotate speakers out forever. As long as it's within your budget and your not losing anything I say go for it. You can entertain opinions especially when asked, but in the end it's only you that can tell yourself what is good or bad regardless of price. BTW I have a 79 T/A (Bandit), it's not as cool as you remember. Farrah Faucet, no, Valerie Bertinelli, yes please even today.

Last edited:
If all the drivers are in good shape, the veneer is nice without chips or swelling, the cabinets are nice without seams separating, with nice grills pick them up and see if you like them. You may need to Deoxit the Lpads if they are scratchy. Experiment with placement in your space, what levels of the mids and highs you like. You might like them on some sort of risers or the floor. If you find out your not a fan clean them up, put a little Howard's on the veneer and easily double your money and move on. Like most enthusiasts on this board you may go through many pairs of speakers before you find what you like or worst case never be satisfied and rotate speakers out forever. As long as it's within your budget and your not losing anything I say go for it. You can entertain opinions especially when asked but in the end it's only you that can tell yourself what is good or bad regardless of price. BTW I have a 79 T/A (Bandit), it's not as cool as you remember. Farrah Faucet, no, Valerie Bertinelli, yes please even today.

Thanks. Ah, Valerie Bertinelli, still hot as crap today. The good girl next door you wanted to turn bad, lol. And i would love to have a 79 T/A, faults and all.. Heck, i would even put an 8 track in one. On my bucket list but it seems that it gets longer the shorter time I have. Hard to pack it all into a short period of time. Thanks for the advice. Again trying to learn a lot in a little bit of time make a it hard.

The Mach Twos aren't bad -- much better than most R/S "monkey coffins" (including the rather execrable Mach One) to my ears & taste. I sold a pair for $75 here at AK some years back with as-is (serviceable but old) surrounds. The MR surround may be tricky to source(?).

Mach21 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Sounds like I'll pass on them. Especially since they are a 2-1/2 hour drive each way. That's another at least $50 in gas. Guess I'll look for something else.

Hey David,

Post your location - I'm sure if you're anywhere near a metropolitan area we can find something on your local Craigslist that's better.

Not two-and-a-half hours (one way), no... unless they were free or perfect and really cheap.

De gustibus non est disputandum
, though.

I would pay twice for the Optimus 9 and a 5 hour round trip! Very good speakers......a hundred bucks just isn't much money these days.

If all the drivers are in good shape, the veneer is nice without chips or swelling, the cabinets are nice without seams separating, with nice grills pick them up and see if you like them. You may need to Deoxit the Lpads if they are scratchy. Experiment with placement in your space, what levels of the mids and highs you like. You might like them on some sort of risers or the floor. If you find out your not a fan clean them up, put a little Howard's on the veneer and easily double your money and move on. Like most enthusiasts on this board you may go through many pairs of speakers before you find what you like or worst case never be satisfied and rotate speakers out forever. As long as it's within your budget and your not losing anything I say go for it. You can entertain opinions especially when asked but in the end it's only you that can tell yourself what is good or bad regardless of price. BTW I have a 79 T/A (Bandit), it's not as cool as you remember. Farrah Faucet, no, Valerie Bertinelli, yes please even today.
Mach 2's kick ass at twice that price,and the bandit package was last offered in '78. Just sayin

Now it's time to sell your Marantz. It's definitely not THAT Marantz...You can find something better. Good luck with your audio journey!

R/S Optimus 9's

3320378944_90763af536.jpg
Was there another one similar to that except it was wider than it was tall? Or am I imagining that? I heard a pair and was surprised.

Back
Top Bottom