Realistic Nova 40 Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Arthur Smith, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

I just picked up a mint pair of these at my local Savers for $7.00 The cups and foam, and insides, are like new.

Opinions on these headphones?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Gene Wiseman

Gene Wiseman New Member

Do you have a picture? I don't know anything about them but I have a vintage Realistic bookshelf system and would like to have a pair of headphones to match. How do they sound? Are they comfortable?
    Thanks a lot,
    Gene

3. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

Google is your friend. They sound great. Yes they are. But you may find them uncomfortable.

Gene Wiseman likes this.
  4. cheapo_eddy

cheapo_eddy Member

Not to sure of my memory, but I seem to recall taking a pair of them apart many years ago - or possibly a similar model - and finding the same paper-cone alnico-magnet junk that you'd see in a five-dollar transistor radio. Way down at the extreme bottom of the food chain. upload_2018-12-28_20-58-13.png

5. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

If you like 'em, you got a bargain. Don't worry about what we think. That'a a great way to get discouraged in this hobby.

6. Gene Wiseman

Gene Wiseman New Member

I like the way you think!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. arts

arts Super Member

I was given a pair sometime back. Mint,extremely clean,look like they were never used. They don't sound bad,but they were never intended to be high-end.
    Modern designs easily outperform them,but you won't get those for under a tenner.If ya like 'em,use 'em:)

8. Me Tarzan

Me Tarzan EARTH

I have a pair at the bottom of a box somewhere. I never thought they were great but some people do. There was a guy at a TV studio I used to go to who always carried around his Nova's for mixing live sound and studio work for broadcast.

Gene Wiseman likes this.
  9. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

If they were the same model I bought new back in the day, then they are a circumaural, closed-back design with restricted HF response, and a very closed-in SQ. At the time I liked their bass, but came to realize I greatly preferred the sound of AKG open-backs (K141? maybe) I sampled and bought a few months later. IIRC, on the timeline. They still proved somewhat useful at times when the greater isolation mattered - like when listening to music while someone else in the room watched TV, or yacked with her friends.