Realistic Nova-7B Mystery Crossover

Riki

I'm in the process of restoring a pair of Nova-7b speakers that I've had since college. I picked them up at a Salvation Army store for four bucks, hooked them up to a Tube Depot K12G that I had built, and was amazed how good they sounded. They were beat up, but I loved the lattice grills.

Anyway, 15 years later, I'vee decided to clean them up and put them back in service, with the amp and a Dual 1229 that belonged to a friend's father. The cabinets are looking good after some sanding. But after inspecting the corssovers (I'm going to replace the capacitor and resistors) I noticed that they are wired differently.

One matches every Nova-7B crossover I picture I could find and the other has the capacitor and inductor wired to the compensation switch (all component values are the same). The plastic is also molded differently. But the lables are identical. I have included some pics. The one that matches the pictures I found is on the left.

IMG_20180619_163429.jpg

IMG_20180619_163553.jpg

IMG_20180619_163507.jpg

IMG_20180619_163448.jpg

I have two questions:

1, Should these be rewired to match? (I assume they should)

2, If you were to rewire, which design would you choose?

Thanks!

Looks like they eliminated a terminal. I think the oldest ones used bigger capacitor. I'd wire them both like the first one, because that way you won't be bothered that they're different, and don't need to buy anything to make them the same.

Thanks maxhifi! You are right about the terminal. They look different, but I just sketched out the circuit and it is the same for both.

Looks like they eliminated a terminal. I think the oldest ones used bigger capacitor. I'd wire them both like the first one, because that way you won't be bothered that they're different, and don't need to buy anything to make them the same.

I love my Nova 7s.....theybwere the first pair of vintage speakers that I bought when I got back into vintage audio a few years ago. They are in the close now but every few months they come out to play a while. Like a fool I just sold my Nova 6s and already miss them.

Very nice, I got a pair about a month ago, they’re cosmetically nice, all drivers work, and they’re on the ‘do restore’ list. Really a great sounding speaker.

Back
Top Bottom