Realistic Nova 8b Rebuild & Crossover Re-Design

New member here. Just stained and put a new suit on the grills. Waiting for the parts ti come in from Solens and i will start work. I dont think i have ever seen a thread with so much enthusiasm i just got swallowed up in it.

Attachments

• 20170111_194132.jpg
    20170111_194132.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170111_194004.jpg
    20170111_194004.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 88
I was wondering what size of base most of you have gone with for the crossover. I see 7 by 7 but is that a bit too crowded?

New member here. Just stained and put a new suit on the grills. Waiting for the parts ti come in from Solens and i will start work. I dont think i have ever seen a thread with so much enthusiasm i just got swallowed up in it.
Thanks for posting those pics! I have a nice clean set of 5Bs, but wanted to put a vintage white cloth replacement on front since I thought I'd like that look better than the 70s stock brown. Your pics confirm it for me. Looks great!! I just need to set aside the time to do all these mods. In current state, very happy with with the 5Bs paired to an STA-90 and LAB-300. Post mod will hopefully address the congestion I hear in some tracks.

Thanks for posting those pics! I have a nice clean set of 5Bs, but wanted to put a vintage white cloth replacement on front since I thought I'd like that look better than the 70s stock brown. Your pics confirm it for me. Looks great!! I just need to set aside the time to do all these mods. In current state, very happy with with the 5Bs paired to an STA-90 and LAB-300. Post mod will hopefully address the congestion I hear in some tracks.
Yes i could not live with that brown grill! It took me awhile to settle on the Grey flannel look but i had to finish the wood finish to get a feel. I tried something white like Dynacos but i think it was too much for a bigger grill. The grey was just right. Are you on Vintage Realistic Hi Fi on Facebook? I am Greg Pearson on that site.I would like to see your project unfold too. I am in the middle of restoring 2 pairs of T-300 realistic speakers. just finished the refoams and going to be starting the cross overs. Damn this thread for keeping me so busy!

Yes i could not live with that brown grill! It took me awhile to settle on the Grey flannel look but i had to finish the wood finish to get a feel. I tried something white like Dynacos but i think it was too much for a bigger grill. The grey was just right. Are you on Vintage Realistic Hi Fi on Facebook? I am Greg Pearson on that site.I would like to see your project unfold too. I am in the middle of restoring 2 pairs of T-300 realistic speakers. just finished the refoams and going to be starting the cross overs. Damn this thread for keeping me so busy!

I'll have to dial that FB group up shortly and join. I'm lucky that the 5Bs look very good. Just thirsty, but no real dings, scratches, or blems. The drivers are all stock and sound fine. Just need to do the 'tronics and I think they'll be a solid addition. I refurbished a totally beat LAB-300 turntable a couple months ago. Very satisfying project. the first time I've ever worked on a turntable. But taking it all the way down, lubing it, and getting it back into shape (including buffing out the deep gouges in the dustcover) was a great time. Just super thankful for this site which pretty much gave me all the knowledge I needed to attempt the project.

Here is the largest of aircoils that just came in for me from Solen. Errr...are they supposed to be this big?

Attachments

• 20170126_133037.jpg
    20170126_133037.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 56
Here is the largest of aircoils that just came in for me from Solen. Errr...are they supposed to be this big?

Yep! I mounted the crossovers in my 8B's on the bottom of the cabs. I used some perforated hardboard and zip ties to hold everything in place. Along with a liberal amount of hot glue. Sorry, I never took photos.

7x7 should give you lots of room to work and still remain compact enough to fit in the cabs nicely, :)
I got your PM I will have to check my pics when I get a chance, been a while since I did the mod.

I feel like a Chinese factory. I totally plagiarized one of you guys on your photo posted here. This has been my first project like this and it has been stressful and enjoyable. All parts are Solen of France. Lets hope this all works when i get a chance to hook them up. Stay tuned.

I feel like a Chinese factory. I totally plagiarized one of you guys on your photo posted here. This has been my first project like this and it has been stressful and enjoyable. All parts are Solen of France. Lets hope this all works when i get a chance to hook them up. Stay tuned.

Out of curiosity, are you going to change one crossover and leave the other stock at first? I never did, but wish I had so I could have done a proper A/B comparison rather than just relying on my memory.

Yes that is the plan. I want to see how big the performance gap is.
This evening i just re-capped one of my T-300's and was hoping for a little magic and nothing jumped out at me but the re capped one seemed a little more detailed tho.

Ok i have completed one speaker for the A\B test .No WOW factor at all. The speaker does sound more defined but considering the time and effort put into the project i am not happy. Bass is tighter, mids a little more defined but nothing great in the upper range. I was thinking of maybe putting in a spare pair of peerless tweeters in to try and brighten things up. Will finish the other one up and run them in for a week and will report back.

Ok i have completed one speaker for the A\B test .No WOW factor at all. The speaker does sound more defined but considering the time and effort put into the project i am not happy. Bass is tighter, mids a little more defined but nothing great in the upper range. I was thinking of maybe putting in a spare pair of peerless tweeters in to try and brighten things up. Will finish the other one up and run them in for a week and will report back.

Finish the other one and report back. I was just refurbishing mine the other week. They don't sound like much one at a time.

I first did this mod 4 or 5 years ago, the difference in clarity, if nothing else, is night and day. Whether you find the overall experience to have been worth the effort will be up to you. Personally, I think they are a subtle and somewhat bizarre but ultimately beautiful and impressive listen.

Thanks for the words Notas. Just a little bummed but will push through and see what i get. Will check back in soon,

Back
Top Bottom