Realistic Nova 8b Rebuild & Crossover Re-Design

Ok so i finished both and yes we do have an improvement. So i thought i would bring in my pair of rare T-300 Realistics for a fun showdown and the T's crushed the 5b's. My teen son even said it was no contest. Will call it an interesting project, They look beautiful after staining and the quality build of the cabinets on these 5b's are great. It was a plus to work on a crossover project and learn new skills but will be putting them up for sale. You really have to have to be attached to a speaker that looks this good to try and make it sound better with the parts cost and hours put in. I spent as much as Vintageo did so i hope you are still enjoying yours!

hmm, now I'm feeling a little trepidation. I've purchased everything to upgrade the crossover -- and replace the tweeters in my 8's to make them 8B's. Aaaand now I'm a little worried that it's not going to be worth the effort :/

Ah well, I've already bought everything, I might as well just do it!

Charles.

Ok so i finished both and yes we do have an improvement. So i thought i would bring in my pair of rare T-300 Realistics for a fun showdown and the T's crushed the 5b's. My teen son even said it was no contest. Will call it an interesting project, They look beautiful after staining and the quality build of the cabinets on these 5b's are great. It was a plus to work on a crossover project and learn new skills but will be putting them up for sale. You really have to have to be attached to a speaker that looks this good to try and make it sound better with the parts cost and hours put in. I spent as much as Vintageo did so i hope you are still enjoying yours!

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for ya. I wish my 5bs looked as good as yours!

I've never heard them, but the T-300 looks like a very different beast, and a whole lot more speaker than the 5bs. If you're going by raw oomph and high frequency response, the 5bs never stood a chance. Interesting to me that the T 300s only go down to 44hz with that big passive radiator - I haven't tested, but I think the 5bs go much lower.

hmm, now I'm feeling a little trepidation. I've purchased everything to upgrade the crossover -- and replace the tweeters in my 8's to make them 8B's. Aaaand now I'm a little worried that it's not going to be worth the effort :/

Charles.

Like geepee says, if nothing else it is a fun project! Just don't expect them to be T-300s ;)

Although, I can't vouch for the nova 8s, looks like they have a different woofer as well as tweeter... and the woofers on the 5b/8b are really sweet. Plus they are asked to play really high with this mod.

I am gonna say the T 300 is trying to be a JBL L150. The bass on them is very proper and not overwhelming. With the VL modded 5b i have to turn the bass down now. Maybe not fair to put those against each other..its kinda like going from regular tv to HD when switching back and forth. Notas you can make them look good very easy. I just used Howards Restore with feed n wax on top. It took out even ugly water rings. Previous owner may have had plants on them but they look brand new. The material was extras from an upholstery shop. They really do look great in real life.

Last edited:
I am gonna say the T 300 is trying to be a JBL L150. The bass on them is very proper and not overwhelming. With the CL modded 5b i have to turn the bass down now. Maybe not fair to put those against each other..its kinda like going from regular tv to HD when switching back and forth. Notas you can make them look good very easy. I just used Howards Restore with feed n wax on top. It took out even ugly water rings. Previous owner may have had plants on them but they look brand new. The material was extras from an upholstery shop. They really do look great in real life.

Heh, you underestimate how bad mine are. Chipped corners, trim falling apart... They would need wood putty, sanding, and new veneer. Not impossible, but not something I have ever done either. Some day.

hmm, now I'm feeling a little trepidation. I've purchased everything to upgrade the crossover -- and replace the tweeters in my 8's to make them 8B's. Aaaand now I'm a little worried that it's not going to be worth the effort :/ charles please post your progress. Its fun to see others go through the project. Yes this thread could stand a lot of cleaning up but there are quite a few posters here i wished i could have seen their projects journey more. Oh one more thing, i kept the original back plate and cut/removed old crossover off and added new banana capable speaker posts. They just screwed right in. Those old posts pissed me off.

Charles.

I'm comparing my unmodded, bone stock Nova 8's to Vandersteen 1B's right now, and the comparison is not pleasant. The Nova's sound like they're under water. I put a pair of Minimus 7's on top and wired in parallel, and that made them listenable at least! There's just not a lot of HF in their current form. I'm guessing the electronics inside didn't age well, and I'm hoping that the crossover mod at least makes them listenable. I'm not asking for miracles! Right now they're the nicest cabinets of any vintage speaker I own. The previous owner built shelves on the wall in his living room, put them on the shelf, and then they didn't move from that spot since they were brand new. Not a single mark on them. LAYERS of dust and cobwebs removed, a little tung oil and they look showroom new! If I can get them to sound better than my ADC 303AX speakers, (which are absolute GEMS, but mine have some damage to the veneer) they'll move into the office. Otherwise I may have to find another use for them, or get rid of them. But in the meantime, they'll be a fun project, that's for sure! I have *SO* many projects right now, finding time for them all is hard!

Charles.

Heh, you underestimate how bad mine are. Chipped corners, trim falling apart... They would need wood putty, sanding, and new veneer. Not impossible, but not something I have ever done either. Some day.

This isn't that bad! I used an orbital sander and wood putty to fix the veneer on an old pair of speakers. They're not perfect, but they look great. I glued down some veneer that was peeling due to the PO setting drinks on the top of the speaker, filled in a lot of nicks and scratches with wood putty, and then sanded them with an orbital sander. I was VERY careful around the corners... but let me reiterate. You cannot be careful enough at the corners. In fact, do the corners by hand if you can. Gently. Also, check that your wood putty will stain DARKER than the wood itself. Repairs that are darker than the wood look fine. Even if it the putty stains a LOT darker, that's perfectly fine. If the putty doesn't take stain well, and ends up being lighter than the surrounding wood, then the repairs become very noticeable. So pick your stain first, test it on the bottom of the cabinet, and test it on dried and sanded putty (it will stain different if it's not sanded). There are lots of different types of putty out there, so if the first one doesn't stain well, try another. Working with this putty is actually pretty easy. Big nicks -- even corner nicks -- can be repaired this way, as can deep grooves and scratches. It's all very forgiving -- except that veneer at the corners.

I was SURE the speakers I had needed completely new veneer, they honestly looked like someone had dragged them behind a truck over concrete. But, the veneer was thick enough to sand, and putty plus a good sanding really made a huge difference. HUGE. You can still tell they're not perfect... mostly because the putty I used stained a little lighter instead of a little darker. (which is why I'm sharing this and stressing the importance to you! The next project I did - veneer on an Akai GX-280D - I used a putty that took to stain a lot better, and that turned out remarkable!)

I think I might have 2 hours and $20 in the repairs. It wasn't bad at ALL. (stain, sandpaper, wood putty, tung oil, plastic spreader for the putty)

Charles.

This isn't that bad! I used an orbital sander and wood putty to fix the veneer on an old pair of speakers. They're not perfect, but they look great. I glued down some veneer that was peeling due to the PO setting drinks on the top of the speaker, filled in a lot of nicks and scratches with wood putty, and then sanded them with an orbital sander. I was VERY careful around the corners... but let me reiterate. You cannot be careful enough at the corners. In fact, do the corners by hand if you can. Gently. Also, check that your wood putty will stain DARKER than the wood itself. Repairs that are darker than the wood look fine. Even if it the putty stains a LOT darker, that's perfectly fine. If the putty doesn't take stain well, and ends up being lighter than the surrounding wood, then the repairs become very noticeable. So pick your stain first, test it on the bottom of the cabinet, and test it on dried and sanded putty (it will stain different if it's not sanded). There are lots of different types of putty out there, so if the first one doesn't stain well, try another. Working with this putty is actually pretty easy. Big nicks -- even corner nicks -- can be repaired this way, as can deep grooves and scratches. It's all very forgiving -- except that veneer at the corners.

I was SURE the speakers I had needed completely new veneer, they honestly looked like someone had dragged them behind a truck over concrete. But, the veneer was thick enough to sand, and putty plus a good sanding really made a huge difference. HUGE. You can still tell they're not perfect... mostly because the putty I used stained a little lighter instead of a little darker. (which is why I'm sharing this and stressing the importance to you! The next project I did - veneer on an Akai GX-280D - I used a putty that took to stain a lot better, and that turned out remarkable!)

I think I might have 2 hours and $20 in the repairs. It wasn't bad at ALL. (stain, sandpaper, wood putty, tung oil, plastic spreader for the putty)

Charles.

Well, alright! Thanks a lot for the advice - you've given me hope. When I get the time, I will give it a shot and post results. Probably not for awhile though.

Charles.

Pics Charles,Pics!

Your wish is my command! Here's one of the speakers before I went at it:

10980744_10205818808457938_6204236688444242544_n.jpg

After masking and initial putty:

10491204_10205818808217932_3513602270140813328_n.jpg

Sanding!

10996793_10205818808657943_7074056698800421024_n (1).jpg

And stain. Here you can see the putty I used unfortunately didn't take stain well at ALL. It's very white, you can see it on the upper edge of the speaker in this shot.

10676308_10205818808017927_8964270491530027123_n.jpg

Still, these turned out very well!

Charles.

I am gonna say the T 300 is trying to be a JBL L150. The bass on them is very proper and not overwhelming. With the VL modded 5b i have to turn the bass down now. Maybe not fair to put those against each other..its kinda like going from regular tv to HD when switching back and forth. Notas you can make them look good very easy. I just used Howards Restore with feed n wax on top. It took out even ugly water rings. Previous owner may have had plants on them but they look brand new. The material was extras from an upholstery shop. They really do look great in real life.

Sorry to hear the mods didn't meet your expectations. Two quick thoughts/questions:

1) are you sure all the drivers are functioning properly? I had a pair of Nova-8s where one of the tweeters still produced sound, but it sounded quite a bit off, akin to what you described. When I put an ohm meter to it it read way off the other one -- something like 12 or 13 ohms. A replacement fixed the issue.

2) are your Optimus 5s on the floor? Or on stands? My modded Nova 8Bs sound a bit better on short stands (~12").

I'm a little surprised by your experience, because I put my 8Bs up against a pair of KLH 5s and actually slightly preferred the 8Bs. Of course, it's possible that some unconscious bias may have been in play.

Ok funny you should say you heard sound but not measuring right? I only did the paper towel tube test and heard sound. What do you think should be the measurements on the tweeters and mids? Yes i have them about 2 feet off the ground. Thanks for taking the time to help. Looking forward to your response.

Ok funny you should say you heard sound but not measuring right? I only did the paper towel tube test and heard sound. What do you think should be the measurements on the tweeters and mids? Yes i have them about 2 feet off the ground. Thanks for taking the time to help. Looking forward to your response.

You will need to pull out the individual drivers and measure the ohms with a DMM. The back of the driver will tell you if it's 4 or 8 ohms (I can't remember which, and I think the Optimus 5 used slightly different mids and tweeter than the Nova 8). The drivers should read around 4 or 8 ohms. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Speaker-Impedance

The other thing you should do is double check all of your wiring. When I put mine back together I had reversed the polarity on one of the drivers and it sure did affect the sound in a bad way.

You will need to pull out the individual drivers and measure the ohms with a DMM. The back of the driver will tell you if it's 4 or 8 ohms (I can't remember which, and I think the Optimus 5 used slightly different mids and tweeter than the Nova 8). The drivers should read around 4 or 8 ohms. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Speaker-Impedance

The other thing you should do is double check all of your wiring. When I put mine back together I had reversed the polarity on one of the drivers and it sure did affect the sound in a bad way.
So besides checking the drivers individually is there a test i should do while they are running?

Back
Top Bottom