Realistic Nova Pro?

vintagelubbr

Certified Clown
Hey folks,

My co-worker came across these at a yard sale over the weekend. He bought a cabinet and found these inside when he got home. I don't know if they work yet, I don't have an adapter for the 1/4 plug so can't test at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard these before. I've never really had a pair of old vintage cans before, and I'm really curious as to how they sound. Anyone have any opinions?

I'm also curious as to what is the best way to power them. I've read here and there that low impedance headphones require a lot of power to get them to sound right. Is this true? If so, how would you guys go about getting them to sound good?

Attachments

• 0914001427.jpg
    0914001427.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 0914001427a.jpg
    0914001427a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for the info guys!

Any thoughts on a good way to get these babies to sound good? I gave them a quick test when I went on lunch and couldn't get much volume out of them using an ipod, not enough voltage?

An iPod probably wouldn't have enough juice. Plug them into any integrated amp/receiver of the era and you should get a better idea what you're dealing with. Of course a separate headphone amp would sound best, but that's generally only for the die-hard can fans to have on hand.

Hmmmmmmm :scratch2:

would hooking these babies up to the speaker output of a receiver, yield a good sound? Just a thought since they are labeled 8ohms...:D

Don't hook them up to the speaker output as you will likely do the opposite of the ipod problem and that is overload them, possibly ruining them. I am not sure how you would do this unless you had, or were going to make, some custom bare wire attachment.

You need a headphone jack. If you don't have the right size jack output on your stereo, get an adaptor for a couple of bucks in a dollar store or practically any audio/electronics shop. 1/4" is what the old school stuff had; modern portable things often use 1/8" jacks.

Don't hook them up to the speaker output as you will likely do the opposite of the ipod problem and that is overload them, possibly ruining them. I am not sure how you would do this unless you had, or were going to make, some custom bare wire attachment.

You need a headphone jack. If you don't have the right size jack output on your stereo, get an adaptor for a couple of bucks in a dollar store or practically any audio/electronics shop. 1/4" is what the old school stuff had; modern portable things often use 1/8" jacks.

Even if he has a modern Home Theater Receiver is most likely will have the 1/4 jack as well, that's still the standard for home and pro gear. Though I wanna know why you would have thought to hook them up to speaker outputs, most illogical.

Because it said 8ohms on the side, it was just a thought really.

Anyhow, I got home and plugged them up to the old Pioneer sx 737 in the garage, and hmmmmmmmm not bad. Not as full sounding as I expected them to be but very clear and clean. The bass is lacking a bit and it does require a full swing of the knob to really get some volume out of them. Not to mention, I had to really turn up the tone controls trying to get a more fuller sound out of them. I think I may just keep them and experiment with them a bit. :D

Anyhow, I got home and plugged them up to the old Pioneer sx 737 in the garage, and hmmmmmmmm not bad. Not as full sounding as I expected them to be but very clear and clean. The bass is lacking a bit and it does require a full swing of the knob to really get some volume out of them. Not to mention, I had to really turn up the tone controls trying to get a more fuller sound out of them. I think I may just keep them and experiment with them a bit. :D

The drivers could be shot (they are 30 years old) or if they used foam surrounds that could be shot. Sadly there is probably not much you could do to repair them, seeing as Radio Shack probably hasn't carried them or any parts for them since the late 80's early 90's. Vintage headphones can be a catch 22, that's why I kinda steer clear of them. Interesting find though,

In about 1975, I bought the LV-10 phones on the opposite page of the 1975 catalog. They were my first headphones. To me, being young and impressionable, they were amazing. Listening to stereo albums with the phones was a mind-blowing experience. I wish I still had them.

Good luck with your new find. :banana:

I had a pair very similar from a couple of years later. The design was more rounded and the cost was considerably more. In the day they were fantastic and I spent many many enjoyable hours in them.
I was cleaning boxes a few months ago and ran into them. They had been structurally damaged. I did give a listen and while it was fun the sound wasn't too good by today's standards. I wish I still had them so I could see if the drivers were intact, but since one of the hear cups was broken off, I tossed them.
I always regret when I toss anything, at some point.

I just picked up a pair of Realistic Nova 16 headphones is perfect shape at the thrift store my girlfriend works at. She spotted them and kept them in the back for me to look at. She also bought them for me with her store credit.

RS used to sell a headphone adapter (in ancient times) for equipment that didn't have a headphone jack. It was basically a cigar tube with 1/4" jack on one end and a pigtail to connect to speaker terminals on the other. I don't know that there was anything internal beyond the parts mentioned and with 8ohms impedance it shouldn't be a problem to connect something similar to the speaker terminals, ohms is ohms. I wouldn't leave the phones connected if you're just using the speakers but they should work fine off the spkr terminals with the right adapter.

The only ones i've tried are the Pro 30. Some say that, the pro 30's were an audio technica oem.

It's a shame. I have these and they fit very nice, yet are totally garbage components in side.

I am thinking of a project to upgrade the drivers because the Weight and feel of these with the top splaying pads with nice aluminum beams. I love the long cord with the spirals but has garbage jack at the end too. Cuts inan out and these were found in box like new. The circuits in the VOlume pot is shot too, left side does not work right crackles like fire. If anyone wants to see pics of them taken apart, I will post them. So far my favorite headphones happen to be a basic pair of Sony MDR-XD100's . They were bought for $20.00 new at SHoppers Drug mart and to me, feel niceer and sound better than a higher end sony pair I bought for 200 bucks a while back. Just lucky i guess, but I if had the money , I would by Senn's or audio technicas.. and a few others i'd like to try.

In about 1975, I bought the LV-10 phones on the opposite page of the 1975 catalog. They were my first headphones. To me, being young and impressionable, they were amazing. Listening to stereo albums with the phones was a mind-blowing experience. I wish I still had them.

The LV-10 headphones were made by Koss. I have had a pair since they were new and yes, they sound very good. They also can play VERY loud without distorting, to the point that one could easily damage their hearing.

Yes if you build a proper circuit for them, see Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers.

Thanks for posting that!

Just a momentary aside, it's about your avatar... :p: It took me a while to figure out where it came from -- but I sure enjoyed studying it, all in the spirit of research, of course. :rolleyes: Sweet!

On the long odd chance that you can either find a single replacement driver or a pair with one dead driver, I have an old pair of LV-10s that have a bad driver and are in need of new foam earcushions. They otherwise seem to be in decent shape. You can have them if you want them. Just send a PM.

On the long odd chance that you can either find a single replacement driver or a pair with one dead driver, I have an old pair of LV-10s that have a bad driver and are in need of new foam earcushions. They otherwise seem to be in decent shape. You can have them if you want them. Just send a PM.
Last time I saw mine, they were falling apart (rotted foam earcushions and other issues). I gave up on them about 12 years ago, but I don't think I threw them out. They are probably in a box somewhere arround here.

If I find them, I'll report more.

On yours, check the wiring for loose connections. Good luck restoring your LV-10.

Back
Top Bottom