Realistic Nova Pro?

The foam cushions may still be available, maybe even through RS believe it or not. I got a set of foam cushions through RS for a different set of Realistic by Koss cans a year or so ago. I was shocked that they still could do such a thing. They were just about as old as the LV-10s.

I did take them apart last night, right down to removing the diaphragm in an attempt to locate the open in the Voice coil. No Joy. I will take a look again when I am not so tired but I don't hold much hope after seeing what I did. If your old set shows up and there is at least one good driver you could easily make a good set out of the two pairs. They are physically in good shape and the cord is still good. Just let me know if you want them. These won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I bought a set of Realistic Nova 20s yesterday. They're not the greatest headphones, but I think I'll have fun using them. I listened to the Black Keys on them last night and it sounded pretty good. At first they sounded terrible, but I dont think anyone has used them on about 30 years. Just had to warm em up I guess.

I cleaned them up and used some shoe polish on the pads. look good as new.

I had a pair very similar from a couple of years later. The design was more rounded and the cost was considerably more. In the day they were fantastic and I spent many many enjoyable hours in them.
I was cleaning boxes a few months ago and ran into them. They had been structurally damaged. I did give a listen and while it was fun the sound wasn't too good by today's standards. I wish I still had them so I could see if the drivers were intact, but since one of the hear cups was broken off, I tossed them.
I always regret when I toss anything, at some point.
I've sort of taken up collecting old headphones. I only have a few pairs so far, but the latest find was a pair of Nova 40's for $2 at an estate sale. I expected them to sound crappy, but they are really great. What really surprised me was how comfortable they are over long periods of time. For my Seattle place I was going to get a pair of Sennheiser 280's. But not now. These are now my main cans in my Seattle place.

Yours were actually MORE expensive than mine when new, but It may have been because of the volume knob.

Back in the early 70's I used Nova 10's. They caused me to lose respect for RS headphones. The ones I've been collecting lately are mostly RS and they have all surprised me, regarding sound quality. RS made better stuff than I realized...

Don't hook them up to the speaker output as you will likely do the opposite of the ipod problem and that is overload them, possibly ruining them. I am not sure how you would do this unless you had, or were going to make, some custom bare wire attachment.

You need a headphone jack. If you don't have the right size jack output on your stereo, get an adaptor for a couple of bucks in a dollar store or practically any audio/electronics shop. 1/4" is what the old school stuff had; modern portable things often use 1/8" jacks.

you won't harm them at all using speaker taps of any amp or receiver. i rewired many random headphones with 16 gauge copper speaker wire to be driven off the speaker outputs of my amps. you just need to be careful not to blow your ears or the drivers. depending on sensitivity of headphone you might have gain issues as well.

Just bought a pair of "Nova Pro"s I love the sound, and I'm getting lots of it. Zero hardware issues. Clarity, and separation are better than any headphones/earbuds I've ever used.

I have one of these.. russound TBL-75 table top volume control / headphone jack things.. picked up for a couple dollars at an estate sale..

uses the speaker outputs with a resistor for the headphone jack
tbl-75-table-top-volume-control_l.jpg

In about 1975, I bought the LV-10 phones on the opposite page of the 1975 catalog. They were my first headphones. To me, being young and impressionable, they were amazing. Listening to stereo albums with the phones was a mind-blowing experience. I wish I still had them.

Good luck with your new find. :banana:
I bought a pair new myself. I had them for many years. I even ordered a new set of foam pads when I bought them. And glad I did.

I bought a pair new myself. I had them for many years. I even ordered a new set of foam pads when I bought them. And glad I did.
I think I still have my LV-10 in a box somewhere. Last I recall the foam was rotted and falling off and the cord came loose from the ear phones. If I find them someday, I'll see if I can restore them.

Back
Top Bottom