Realistic receivers

Score/Bummer

Good news and bad news.

First the good news: scored an STA-2080 today.

Now the bad news: it powers on and lights up, but has no output to the speakers or headphones. Well, that is, unless I wind it all the way to the top, then, if I don't breathe, I can hear a faint whisper from the speakers. Fuse looks good, but I don't have a tester.

Last edited:
D'oh!

Does it have pre main jumpers on the back?
Are they there?

Uh... yeah. I never even thought to look for them. I must be getting old.

Thanks, man! :thmbsp:

This baby rocks. What clean power--much more transparent than my 2000 or 2300. :music: And what a classy, classic look. Pics to follow!

Realistic Has The Sound and The Looks

I have an STA-2080, and I love the full sound it gives palying any kind of music. The appearence of the 2080 has caught the eye of many people who have seen it in my home. With the 4 big meters and all the polished knobs it has it's own sex appeal! When I rebuilt my 2080 I bought real Walnut lumber to replace the veneer endcaps, and it just makes it look awesome. Check out my pictures and you will see the extra beauty it gives this awesome machine.

Picked up a STA-78 on BT.....damn if I don't just love Rat Shack stuff. Little thing sings like a bird!

...With the 4 big meters and all the polished knobs it has it's own sex appeal! When I rebuilt my 2080 I bought real Walnut lumber to replace the veneer endcaps, and it just makes it look awesome. Check out my pictures and you will see the extra beauty it gives this awesome machine.

You got that right, dude! Nice job! :yes:

i bought a brand new sta-2080 back in the day used it for a good while traded it to my best friend. got it back few years ago it is well used i cleaned and replace lamps and driver transistors on output board one side was running hot.
i will put the sta-2080 up against anything. i have a sanyo jcx-2900k the sta runs circles around it. i have a kenwood model eleven gx it outplays it and it has been fully restored. i love my realistic 2080. the speakers in the pix are jbl l36 yard sale find $20.00 refoamed the woofers and my cerwin vega s-1 i bought new in 1979 that i will never part with. steve

Attachments

• sta2080.jpg
    sta2080.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 124
  • sta2080&jbl.jpg
    sta2080&jbl.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 106
  • sta2080#2.jpg
    sta2080#2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 107
The one performance shortcoming of this 2080 is it runs hot. I've read elsewhere about 2080's running hot, and they aren't kidding--if I go to the bathroom or grab a snack, I have to leave the room, and I can actually smell it when I come back. An electronic component that runs that hot without a fan to remove heat buildup makes me nervous. No way will I walk away on this thing for more than a few minutes. Once I get something else (an STA-2100, an STA-2100D, or another STA-2300) for my secondary, I'll rotate the 2080 out for safety's sake and peace of mind.

Last edited:
mine runs cool after replacing the driver transistors on the output boards not the outputs themselves. it did run hot before that. sounds great steve

Can't comment on other models, the only models I have are the STA-2270 ( I have 2 of them). They sound great. Not quite the punch of some of the older amps i've had, but quite sufficient for a 65 watts PC amp. In 85 when I got this, there was only one other offered with more power, a 100 watt version STA-2500 I think. It sounded great in the store, but couldnt afford it at the time. Thanks. TB

The one performance shortcoming of this 2080 is it runs hot. I've read elsewhere about 2080's running hot, and they aren't kidding--if I go to the bathroom or grab a snack, I have to leave the room, and I can actually smell it when I come back. An electronic component that runs that hot without a fan to remove heat buildup makes me nervous. No way will I walk away on this thing for more than a few minutes. Once I get something else (an STA-2100, an STA-2100D, or another STA-2300) for my secondary, I'll rotate the 2080 out for safety's sake and peace of mind.

Check the bias voltage on the emitter resistors on the outputs, should be only about 10MV once it starts getting over that those amps will run hot. A lot of the time one or both of the channels can go into oscillation, when that happens by by amp.

Funny, this thread started with the STA-2000 and one just came my way the other day. Should be ready to fly this weekend.

realistic receiver

Hello all,Got my self a realistic sta-2000 about a week ago.Works great.Just needs a few bulbs.And is missing the fm mute button.But does bit affect it working though.Was using a realistic sta-960.That one is 50 wpc.

Attachments

• realstic sta-960.jpg
    realstic sta-960.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51
  • realstic sta-2000 002.jpg
    realstic sta-2000 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 49
Realistic sta-2080

Hello all. i acquired Realistic sta-2080 last week. I had to replace all the bulbs in it.Still have a problem with the fm though. When its in stereo ode the right channel isnt as loud as the right.But when in mono mode both channels are equal.Also when i use the phono input and aux, tape inputs both channels are equal.Was wondering what i could adjust on the tuner board if any thing? Thanks

Attachments

• realistic sta-2080 001.jpg
    realistic sta-2080 001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47
STA 2000 and 2080: both nice higher power (less than 100 x 2) Realistic receivers.

I haven't owned either of those but have heard them. What's passed through my place so far have been: STA 95, 2270, 2200, 7, 11 and an Allied Radio 15 watter.

None have been anything but decent quality. But ultimately, the 2200 with its Mosfets has to be the "best" sounding Realistic I have ever heard, and that includes the monster 2100 and 2300 after it. Very "smooth", very "musical". But certainly not the best looking. That honor has to go to the STA-95!

cnh2

I usually would not give Radio Shack a second look but, on a whim bought a STA2250, only digital tuner unit I have ever owned. The tuner was okay, typical sound for a digital tuner but, the amp was amazing, I repeat amazing. This was their 2nd digital tuner receiver just after the STA2200 that reportedly had an even better amp. Even though service information for these seem nonexistent, I would pick up another 2250 or try the 2200 even just to mod and use as an integrated amp.

There is a following for their receivers, amps and, tuners and some specific models seem quite well respected by some pretty knowledgeable members here so if you come across something, might be worth a grab.

Realistic

I have been looking at these receivers for some time now and was wondering wat would be a nice one to power my Wharfdale W60D's and W70D's?

Back
Top Bottom