Realistic SCT-12

Alex Hayes

Hey guys, I took a trip to my grandparent's house this last week and I always seem to discover something new in is collection of "stuff". This time I notice a Realistic Cassette deck box on a shelf and had to open it up and see what was inside. What I found was a Realistic SCT-12 cassette deck. This is an interesting deck. By the looks of it it isn't real high end but its a cool machine. Its about the size of many portable units but is designed to be used as part of a stereo system. There's no battery compartment or built in microphone. It was in the original box with the original owner's manual. The owner's manual has all the specs in it. My grandpa said that all it needed when he put it away was a new belt so I'm hoping thats all it will take to get it running. I also noticed on the box a couple prices were written. One was $149.95 which was scratched out and under it was written $129.95. I'm assuming this is what it sold for but I'm not sure in what year. I have looked online for information/experiences with the deck but have found nothing. I think its just a cool, unique piece while it may not be a top-performer. Anyways I'd be interested to hear what any of you may know about the deck. It is a cool addition to my little collection of decks. Below I have a picture attached.

Attachments

• Realistic SCT-12.jpg
    Realistic SCT-12.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 71
When I purchase my first cassette deck in 1978, I remember looking at that deck but opted for the SCT 17 instead since it had Dolby, record level controls and cool VU meters.

Alex, yea its probably not very Hifi as you stated but it is really cool to go to grandpa's house and find stuff like that. So he give it to you? If so, I would clean it all up and show it to him as a working unit once again. Pretty cool. :thmbsp:

Okay thanks guys! Ya, definitely not hifi. I have other quality decks but I think this one will be fun to play with. He did give it to me. Last winter he gave me a realistic quadraphonic receiver (doesn't work) and theres a couple pairs of minimus 7's in his garage so theres always something cool to discover. And he is interested in getting rid of some of his collection now so I'm happy to help. It would be cool to get it going and show him so he can reminisce a little.

Which Realistic quad Rx? This one (in the middle of the three in the photo), perhaps?

320old20rxs.jpg

Just curious...

Hey mhardy, it is actually a Realistic QTA-770 like the one in this link...http://vintagehifirepair.blogspot.com/2010/01/realistic-qta-770.html I guess it is TOTL for 1976. It is an awesome looking receiver but it has many problems and the circuitry is crazy under there so I'm not sure how long it will be until I can get it running since I'm still pretty new to all this. Some day I will get it going for sure. I think it will be a really cool piece.

Hey Alex, do you still have any info for repairing the QTA-770 such as offset and bias settings?
Tech who's looking after getting it back to snuff can't find the settings anywhere for it.
I need a manual for this baby if anyone's got one.
Thanks
Burney

PS: Sorry for resurrecting this one

Does anyone still have any information or history about this cassette deck, I can't find much about this one.

Back
Top Bottom