1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic SCT-5C's head not engaging the tape properly, left channel missing.

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Evan Wester, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Evan Wester

Evan Wester New Member

Hello, and thanks for reading!

I have a Realistic SCT-5C that is having an issue with the playback head not contacting the tape properly. I can adjust the azimuth screw to increase treble, but only for one channel. However, when I move the tape itself towards me, the left channel comes in, and everything sounds alright. How can I make a mechanical adjustment to the deck itself so that it engages the tape properly?

I've uploaded a demonstration of the problem:

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

Did you give this deck a service? Clean the heads, and transports posts? Pinch roller and capstan? New belts, and lube job? These decks are quite sensitive to mechanical condition. Stop adjusting the azimuth willy nilly, as it's supposed to be done with alignment tapes and a scope.

3. Evan Wester

Evan Wester New Member

Jonny,

The transport path has been cleaned, but that's the extent of the "servicing".

Also, I'm digitizing a wide variety of pre-recorded tapes not made on this recorder. Surely my adjusting the azimuth here is the correct course of action.

I believe this is an issue with the head's position, but I can't find a screw that controls the location of the head in its entirety.

4. mfenberg

mfenberg New Member

I have a Realistic SCT-6B that works great! It's pretty much the same as your deck, but includes Dolby. I did a complete service, which included replacing the belts, cleaning the rubber parts (capstan roller and rubber tires with the proper chemicals) and a good cleaning and lubrication. The motor on these units is an AC Hysteresis Synchronous motor! What's interesting about my 6B is that it doesn't show up in any catalogs. Only the original SCT-6 and then the SCT-6C.

Before you adjust azimuth to attempt a cure, you really need to service the deck to insure that everything is working properly. These decks are from the mid-70's and can't be expected to perform properly if not serviced.

-Mark

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM
  5. Jonny Ramone

Jonny Ramone Super Member

You would probably be better off getting another deck. I've found a variety of sub - $10 decks in thrifts, in sharp condition, that needed very little servicing. Craigslist should have plenty, but make sure they're serviced, at least.