Realistic Sound Compared to Sansui

Jcbluesman

Hello. Getting into vintage. I've lost that lov'in feeling listen to digital. I'm inquiring about sound difference between let's say, a realistic sta 45 compared to sansui 221 or 551s, in general I guess sansui vs realistic. I'm not into collecting so I really don't want to buy a bunch, so any comparison between the two would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Alright, thank you. I'm getting some BAs 100a, I believe they are. I don't want to drive deep in the audiophile thing. Just want to hear some analog again and enjoy while I'm doing stuff around the apartment. The digital sounds crystal clear and all, but like a drum machine, it just don't sound real

If you can swing it, also consider looking into Sansui analog quad receivers qrx-7001, qrx-8001, qrx-9001. You can listen to just 2 channels like regular stereo receivers, or all 4 channels analog quad sound, original or simulated from stereo music. That way, you’ll have more listening choices.

If you mean Boston Acoustics A100 speakers, they have a fairly high sensitivity rating (90dB) so don't need crazy amounts of power to drive them to a fairly loud level with minimal distortion. That said, I think you might want to set your sights on an amplifier/receiver with a bit more power than those you mentioned. I would recommend something with 40-50 watts per channel or more...unless you don't plan on cranking it up at least once in a while.

Power is not just for loudness...you need enough power to keep from pushing the amp to the edge of its capabilities (or beyond!), because that's when amplifier distortion starts to become a real, and quite audible, issue.

As for differences in sound...speakers will certainly play more of a role than the amp/receiver. But, there are certainly differences in the sound of one amp vs another...driven primarily by differences in design, rather than brand. In other words, similar designs from different brands will sound more alike than different designs from the same brand.

I am not very familiar with Radio Shack/Realistic receivers, but can tell you with certainty that across the Sansui product lines and over the years that they were made, there is a fairly broad range in their sound "signatures". The XX1 series are quite popular, but perhaps not as "accurate" as some of their later series.

While properly matching them from a technical standpoint is important, finding an amp and speaker that just sound good together - synergy! - is just as important as the specs. I would bet that those BA speakers will pair quite well with a Sansui xx1 receiver....even the 551, if - as noted above - you will be listening at more moderate volumes.

Good luck finding what you need...enjoy the hunt.

I'm biased in favor of Sansui myself, but the lower level models you mentioned in both brands are pretty close to each other in sound quality, IMHO.

Most of the Realistic stuff was made in Japan, then Taiwan, IIRC.

Thanks for the input. I'll stay closer to 20 wpc I think, even though I live in a small apartment so I can't crank.
Now I'm eyeing a HK 330b so no telling this out come.
It's funny, when I wasn't considering vintage I saw a old receiver at a goodwill and passed it by and laughed that it was so old it has tubes. Lol

Bigelcat, I suppose the 330b would be included in that recommend? I've found some nice 330s thru C's on eBay with send it back if it don't work, so I may pull the trigger on one. When it comes to electronic equipment, and I'm hearing more about vintage, every switch could be your last. But, that's the way it is with pretty much everything build or created

Having been involved in audio since the early sixties. and having sold radio Shack/Realistic, in the late 60's, mid 70's, and early 80's, I'd say you should be more concerned with the speaker determining the overall sound than the amplifiers/receivers.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I agree 100%. Also, CONDITION of a particular unit is far more important than the brand when dealing with vintage stuff. Between the Sansui and Realistic take whatever is in better shape.

I have never heard a 330B. I bought my 330C off of Ebay 10 years ago for $52.00 delivered.

I had to by-pass the tape monitor switch, and the 'loudness' button, because the C uses the notorious, failure prone HK push buttons.

The B doesn't have the push buttons. But C series has the coveted, and gorgeous styling. I luv the look of the C series faceplates, from the 330C up to 930C.

Spark1, thanks. I'm am going sansui or HK. Like dealing with guitar amps, manufacturers all have their own version of "what sound should sound like", so the reason for my post. In guitar amps Vox el84 tube amp sounds like a Vox and a Fender champ 6v6 sounds like a fender. I have a 1966 champ and all I do is turn it on and bamb!, 1960. 70s rocknroll. I'm looking for warm, but not dark. Articulate but not sterile, then the speakers will take me where I want to go with separation and space within the song. Since I'm looking for a one shot to get her done, I'll have to drop a bigger dime and get a good middle of the line, and hopefully get a good enough deal to get away with 275.00 or so. I'll up grade to speakers later on if it's called for.

I have owned or still own a lot of different brands of vintage receivers and IMO when a unit is working like it should, it is speakers that make the big difference. Sure there will be a bit of difference but night and day? I dont think so.

If your budget is $275 on ebay you will be able to get something pretty decent in a vintage unit. Like I said above, dont get hung up on the brand, go for the unit that seems to be in great condition and if you find the brand you want in that subset, that is great.

Well ya ... without speakers, there IS no sound, right? ;-}

(Devil made me do that)

Anyway - can't really go wrong with either brand. I'd go for the midrange units as those will give you the power and features you want. Keep in mind that whatever "classic" receiver you get, you'll probably have to put some work into it to get it up to spec. Start simple by replacing the big caps on the power rail, as those can go flat, go muddy, and loose da boom over time.

Hello. Getting into vintage. I've lost that lov'in feeling listen to digital. I'm inquiring about sound difference between let's say, a realistic sta 45 compared to sansui 221 or 551s, in general I guess sansui vs realistic. I'm not into collecting so I really don't want to buy a bunch, so any comparison between the two would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
I will describe my lovely Harman Kardon 630 and 430 as soggy compared to my most decidedly lively Sansui 2000A and 5000A. And my STA-120b(Hitachi) that is a much better unit than my STA-45 fits in between the two other brands.

If you want smooth and warm go Harman Kardon
If you want maximum personality go Sansui
If you want an honest butler go the STA-120b (skip the tiny 45 Realistic)

I prefer the 5000A.

I will describe my lovely Harman Kardon 630 and 430 as soggy compared to my most decidedly lively Sansui 2000A and 5000A. And my STA-120b(Hitachi) that is a much better unit than my STA-45 fits in between the two other brands.

If you want smooth and warm go Harman Kardon
If you want maximum personality go Sansui
If you want an honest butler go the STA-120b (skip the tiny 45 Realistic)

I prefer the 5000A.

I like the sound and build quality of the Hitachi built Realistics but dont care for the twin slider balance/volume controls.

I like the sound and build quality of the Hitachi built Realistics but dont care for the twin slider balance/volume controls.
I didn't want the sliders but when I realized the STA-90 was all plastic across the front I caved in and got the most excellent STA 120b (not the 120). Glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom