Realistic STA-100 Receiver, Not Bad, Quite Nice Actually

chasaboo

Snagged a Realistic STA-100 receiver from CL and oddly enough I'd been looking for a Realistic receiver for quite some time now with little to no luck. Not sure why but I just had to have one.

Surprisingly it sounds quite nice after the traditional spraying of Deoxit. The controls are static free and everything works as advertised. Although I must admit, I don't know a bloody thing about this little devil such as power etc.

It actually has what appears to be a veneer case that is losing it's finsih in big flakes. I'm wondering if I can take my sander to it and then hit it with a few coats of finish. The wooden case wraps all the way around the receiver like my really sweet Sansui. Kind of impressed with the fit and finish actually.

Listening to the tuner now and the Passio or Passion of St. John on my Infinitys. It handles voices quite well and can get down there pretty low with the pipe organ registers. I've checked out the phono, aux and tape lines and they all sound quite good. It's always a shock to hear how good CDs sound on old receivers. Dave Matthews was just about as nice sounding as my Yamaha CR-840.

For now it's going to take a turn in my bedroom receiver rotation and probably with an old pair of RSLs. Nice little rig the Realistic. :music:

How old is it?

I have the STA-90 (which is great) and it looks like it came from a much earlier era.

Yours looks quite contemporary compared to mine.

I know what you mean about CDs. I just picked up Kacey Jones Sings Mickey Newbury and it sounds as good as anything I've ever heard, vinyl included.

CDs will surprise you when played with good speakers through high quality vintage gear.

To be honest I don't know the age and I did a quick search online and couldn't find much info on it.

From the general appearance I'm thinking sometime in the '80s. It's simple looking but not cheap as the knobs have a good feel to them. And it has held up well over the years. The face is flawless and as I stated if the veneer were refinished it would look entirely showroom new.

I might start collecting Realistic just for fun. I like the sound of this one, why not other receivers as well? :music:

Try www.radioshackcatalogs.com. It was I think from 1980's catalog. I think it was rated at 22 watts per channel. I bought my STA-52B at around the same time and that was the next higher up receiver.

Realistic receivers are great since they sell for cheap and are under the radar from most people.

AnalogDigit, thanks for the link to the Radio Shack catalog site. It's a gold mine of information that brought back a lot of pleasant memories.

If memory serves, Radio Shack bought most of their audio electronics and source components from major manufacturers who would fit faceplates with the Realistic or Optimus brand name instead of their own. I have several pieces from the 1970s and 1980s:

STA-18B receiver -- 7 WPC, made by Foster. 1974 model.
SCT-7 autoreverse Dolby B cassette deck -- made by Toshiba. 1975 model.
SCT-41 Dolby B and C cassette deck -- made by Sharp. Sold in 1984 and 1985.

All of these sound more than decent, though the SCT-7's top end is a bit soft by today's standards. If I ever run into a pair of Realistic or Optimus speakers at a garage sale, I may just buy them and set up an all-Shack system.

Hey people...First time user of the sight, long time user of the Realistic STA-100.
Does anyone use a Realistic EQ on there receiver? If so, which EQ is the best?

I use the Realistic 10-Band Equalizer catalog number 31-2000. I had it since 1980 and it works fine through all the receivers I had through the years. I use it on my Realistic STA 2100.

My older brother used to manage some Radio Shack stores and I'd check out the demo stereo stuff. We'd crank some of these unit's pretty good during late night inventory's. Nothing at all wrong with this stuff. Remember the tuner sections being pretty good, too.

I think you can get really nice replacement vinyl veneer to fix your peeling prob, I just don't remember where~

Hey guys… Thanks for the replies.
I finely picked up a Realistic 31-2009 Twelve Band Equalizer for my Realistic STA-100 just like the receiver pictured at the top of the page.
Now… can someone help me hook up my system? I have the receiver, equalizer, 5 disk CD changer and a “ Y “ cable hooked up to the aux out for MP3 play out.

Back in the day, I always though Radio Shack gear sounded pretty good. Some sneered at my observation. Once I joined AK, I realized it was the consensus opinion. Nice to know I was not crazy.

Yeah.. I got my receiver handed down from my uncle who grew up in the mid 70's in to the 80's when this receiver came out.
My sta-100 still kicks.

Not intending to cap the thread...

...If memory serves, Radio Shack bought most of their audio electronics and source components from major manufacturers who would fit face plates with the Realistic or Optimus brand name instead of their own. I have several pieces from the 1970s and 1980s:
It was closer to having equipment built to spec by major manufacturers. Consider the quantities of each item that they sold. RS was able to drive a very hard bargain with manufacturers to meet performance - and price point - specifications. As far as I know they very rarely just stuck a face plate or label on units that were sold under a different brand. That applies more to receivers, amplifiers and speakers than it does to tape decks and turntables though, especially low end BSR changers that were so common back then.

Back in the day, I always though Radio Shack gear sounded pretty good. Some sneered at my observation. Once I joined AK, I realized it was the consensus opinion. Nice to know I was not crazy.
You are not alone. :yes:

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

I don't remember anything about the STA-100. :dunno: :D

A little help here!!!!! J/K
can someone help me hook up my system? I have the receiver, equalizer, 5 disk CD changer and a “ Y “ cable hooked up to the aux out for MP3 play out.
Realistic 31-2009 Twelve Band Equalizer to a Realistic STA-100 just like the receiver pictured at the top of the page.

Hmm, I don't think that has pre in/out jacks so you may only be able to use the EQ for one source at a time, unless I'm missing something. As for the CD and Y cables, they can go in the Aux and Tape-In jacks.

EDIT: hold on, what do you mean "MP3 Play out"? I read that as plugging in an mp3 player. If the CD changer is your only source to be hooked up, you can go CD to EQ-in, EQ-out to Aux-in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom