Realistic STA-180 Recap and Resto info

txturbo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I had an STA-180 as a teenager so I thought I would find one again. One turned into three.

I could not find much information on the STA-180 via the web or AK so I thought I would put a few notes together. As I find more I will add it.

A bit of background on the STA-180.

The receiver was custom manufactured for ARS by Hitachi 1972 for just one year. The AMP section is similar to the Hitachi HA-1000. The tuner is similar electronically to the Hitachi SR-1100. I used these documents to figure out how to service the receiver. I was never able to find the service manual. I do have the owners manual.

One of the units came from a former Radio Shack corporate employee. He told me that the design was the brainchild of the head of Radio Shack. I kind of suspect that Marantz was not very happy with ARS. This may be why it only lasted one year.

The receiver sports dual gyroscope type tuners as found on the Marantz stuff, a flip up back panel to get at the connections and selector buttons that light up when depressed. The stereo lamp is on the tuning indicator. When the station is in stereo the indicator turns from white to red. Volume is on a pair of sliders.

Service notes:

The amp section is a breeze to service. The driver boards come out like computer cards. The output transistors are on the back of the unit and can be easily replaced. The rails are fused.

To set the bias just pull the fuse out of the channel you wish to set and replace it with a milliamp meter. Find the driver card and adjust VR02 till the meter reads 30mA.

You also need to adjust the intermediate voltage. Flip the unit over and find the two large filter caps, they feed the rail voltages to the Amps. Measure the cap voltage to ground and set VR01 on the appropriate board until you get 37V.

The power supply was dead on one of the receivers. Dead cap and blown Zener diode. A full recap and replacement of all diodes fixed it.

I went through the receiver and replaced every electrolytic. Some of the boards are a bit of a pain to get to the back side of, especially in the tuner section. I don't really think it was necessary but what the heck. The parts to go after would be the main filter caps, power supply and the driver cards.

One of the receivers had bad solder joints on the driver cards. Carefully check them, they run hot.

See the Hitachi IA-1000 service manual for more info.

The mute, bass, mid and treble pots are often very hard if not impossible to turn. I attempted all kind of stuff to get them moving again. The trick was to drill a small hole in the collar and lube the shaft. You can see the full details here. I used DEoxit F5 Fader lube for the sliders, this made them nice and quiet but it took a few applications.

There is a row of switches below the selector buttons. The switch can get dry and hard to operate. You can carefully apply some lube with a micro lube pen to get them moving very nicely again. The lubrication takes place outside of the actual switch contact. Clean the switch first.

The selector switch lamps are a pain. Mostly because they do not make the correct size any longer. I could not find anyone that had them. The lamp is a fuse type, 45mm in length 10V .33a.

I ended up using 12V Blue LED festoon lamps for the switches. You can find them online at many auto suppliers. They are a bit short for the application so I removed the metal end caps and using a bit of wire soldered them directly to the lamp housing. The housing has existing eyelets that make it simple.

There are some smaller size fuse lamps that are used in the tuning meters, I replaced them with blue LED's as well. The standard ones used on a Marantz receiver worked just fine.

The power off button is just a bayonet style lamp. I used a green bayonet LED.

I ended up replacing the stereo and tuning indicator lamp on one unit with red and white led's. In the future I would just replace them with a grain of wheat lamp, like the original.

The face plate looks to be powder coated or painted heavy in black and the lettering is engraved. I cleaned it up with a magic eraser.

The dial cover is plastic. Mine had a few light scratches and I was able to polish it up using Novus plastic polish.

I sent the walnut cabinets to my father in law for restoration. I should have one back soon.

Sound... It's got a nice warm and powerful sound. The loudness is a bit aggressive so I usually shut it off. The tuner is quite sensitive and sounds very nice.

My iPhone seems to make the push buttons look purple but they are a nice deep blue.

31201450584_27b1c7815e_b.jpg

31201446464_d8592cb80e_b.jpg

31201451624_2d5a651487_b.jpg

31201440404_fed74ffbce_b.jpg

32004489016_1aec634745_b.jpg

I have heard that the Realistic receivers with the twin volume/balance controls are made by Hitachi. Seeing yours makes me believe it more. I have a STA-85 with them.

15442219_1357647464255197_8436568195868354030_n.jpg

The Hitachi logo is all over the inside of the receiver... The boards are marked and identical to the boards inside the Hitachi receiver and amp.

The ideas behind the looks, the light up switches, dual gyro tuning, rear door for the connections and such were suposedly all the work of the head of Radio Shack. You won't find features like this on any other Hitachi receiver.

Very nice work. Three big caps im guessing cap coupled amp. That would explain the warm sound. 100wpc cap coupled amp, preety cool. I recently rebought my first system and recapped it. A Realistic SA-100A amp and TM-1000 tuner. The earlier gold faced models, not the later BPC models.

Good dog. Had a toy rat terrier for 14yrs. Looked like my avatar. Best dog ever. Hope the STA-180 lasts for another 40 yrs.

Very nice work. Three big caps im guessing cap coupled amp. That would explain the warm sound. 100wpc cap coupled amp, preety cool. I recently rebought my first system and recapped it. A Realistic SA-100A amp and TM-1000 tuner. The earlier gold faced models, not the later BPC models.

The catalog screen capture indicates 120 W rms total power. That would be 30 W/ch assuming power was measured with 2 sets of 8 ohm loads being driven. Plenty, regardless of that quibble.

I always liked the STA-120 and 180. Really nice look to them. The dual tuners of the 180 are cool.

That's outstanding veneer work on the cabinet. That is a beautiful receiver.

Some more pics of the interior, top and bottom would be nice to see. Some documentation of the Hitachi heritage would be terrific as well. There is so much "knowledge" offered up online about who built what of the RS gear, with absolutely nothing in the way of real information to back up the assertions. It would be great to see some real live objective data to establish the actual origin of a Realistic-branded receiver.

The catalog screen capture indicates 120 W rms total power. That would be 30 W/ch assuming power was measured with 2 sets of 8 ohm loads being driven. Plenty, regardless of that quibble.

I always liked the STA-120 and 180. Really nice look to them. The dual tuners of the 180 are cool.

That's outstanding veneer work on the cabinet. That is a beautiful receiver.

Some more pics of the interior, top and bottom would be nice to see. Some documentation of the Hitachi heritage would be terrific as well. There is so much "knowledge" offered up online about who built what of the RS gear, with absolutely nothing in the way of real information to back up the assertions. It would be great to see some real live objective data to establish the actual origin of a Realistic-branded receiver.

I suspect that if I check with the power meter and scope I would get close to 60 watts per side at 20-20000 Hz at 8 ohms.

I can't speak for any other models but I have no doubt that this was manufactured by Hitachi. Every board, piece of silicon and the transformer are all marked with the logo. The power supply and amp boards are stamped with the same part numbers and match schematically with the HA-1000. The receiver looks very similar under the hood to the Hitachi SR-1100 and also uses the same amp, power supply and most of the tuning boards. The SR-1100 tuning caps are also the same separate units with a coupler so it can be driven with a single knob vs. the STA-180 dual knobs.

This is a shot of the Hitachi SR-1100, circa 1971

34948956114_38eb1c399a_b.jpg

35749069946_80f673c42a_b.jpg

This is the ARS STA-180, circa 1972

31201440404_fed74ffbce_b.jpg

35657827111_fba141060c_b.jpg

All we need now is a shot of the rear panel of the STA-180. Love the LED colors for the tuning and buttons.

It always looked to me that the receivers with the slide volume/balance were made by Hitachi.

Just for fun I decided to see how much power the STA-180 actually produces.

Interestingly it puts out 50 Watts at exactly .5% THD. I only measured one side at a time but I suspect it would hold up with both running.

36316946976_96cebb226e_b.jpg

36316948526_f1eb3a75db_b.jpg

36316949376_3f06ca8f38_b.jpg

Actually now that I look at it I may have been overdriving the preamp. I will test again.

The few RS amps and receivers ive tested tend to top out right at or just below rated specs. Very nice resto. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom