1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic STA-2250 receiver

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by 968driver, Oct 2, 2010.

1. dennis57

dennis57 New Member

my bias adj board with multiturn vr's for fine tuning.....

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Clemfm

Clemfm New Member

In the early eighties, whilst in year 10, I used to work part-time at the local Radio Shack store. Given my minuscule hourly rate when I was about 15, a Realistic amp was not a realistic option for me. Fast forward about 35 years (OMG ) and I’ve bought an STA-2250 off eBay. It works very well, until it warms up, at which point it intermittently crackles and pops in the right channel only. This occurs even with the volume fully wound down and/or the balance turned fully to the left channel. Switched off for an hour or more, and then back on, again it’s fine for X minutes. Any thoughts as to a likely capacitor or transistor etc?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. dennis57

dennis57 New Member

I had a similar experience with my 2nd 2250, i replaced the electro caps on the tuner board and it came good, and my 1st 2250 was cured of something similar by replaceing the caps on the tone board,, but i would try some deoxit on the mode selector switch first and it wouldnt hurt to do all the pots while your at it

4. Clemfm

Clemfm New Member

I should add to my previous post that I only use the amp with AUX inputs. This would likely rule out tuner issues.

5. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

hard to say exactly what it is, for that you need to trace a signal thru with a scope and then method of elimination.
    I have one it has a power switch issue as it is a composite type of switch which are hard to find and repair.

iirc there are a number of connectors that could use a bit of a juggle/cleaning to wipe off oxide. there is also a reed relay that shorts out the audio before the amp, used for things like power up/down and when switching sources.
    I posted the schematic on hifiengine some time ago and there is also the service manual avail now.

6. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Bares mentioning this forum section is for tuners. If you have ruled that out start a new thread in Solid State forum.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Yes, can you move it to the correct place?

8. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

If he had started a new thread instead of adding on to a thread with 46 posts already, I would move it.

9. Clemfm

Clemfm New Member

10. dennis57

dennis57 New Member

here is a useful mod of mine for the old girl. not a new idea by any means, in a 2250 it really adds a feature that brings it back into use much more. the Bluetooth board is 4.2 wired via its line level stereo output jack to my unused tape 2 input, powered by a 5v power supply that fits in perfect (Mean Well MP3295 from jaycar) switched with the amps power on but wired onto the primary side of the amps transformer so there is no line noise...a much needed external antenna (for range) which covers the whole house and then some... the lossless BT board sounds awesome through the amp, crystal clear audio...paired easy with tablet and phones, nice to sit back and remote control the volume and music.... really worth looking into..

bluetooth mod.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018