Realistic STA-7 System Seven Receiver Help

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I picked up one of these little guys today. Very heavy for such a small guy and I love the timeless look. However, I'm having problems, that can all hopefully be fixed by cleaning all the pots and switches with some Deoxit.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get at everything. The top came off easily enough, but I can't get the plastic front panel off. I removed all the obvious screws, but it won't come off. I also can't get the plastic tuning knob off the shaft. Since it's plastic, I don't want to try to force anything and risk breaking the plastic.

I know this is a fairly common receiver around here. So, how do you get at all the pots and switches to clean them? Is it necessary to remove the face plate to get at them? If so, how? Does the knob come off the tuning shaft? Again, if so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nearly 2 years later and I'm reviving this thread, with the same questions:
1. how to get the front panel off, and
2. how to remove the tuning knob

The Service Manual now is available on-line, but the Disassembly Instructions and the Exploded Drawing are not helpful here...

Well, finally got it!

The Tuner knob really does pull off the splined shaft, but what a struggle. A combination of trying to wedge my not-so-chubby fingers between the knob and the face plate and pull/ pry off, to using my heat gun (VERY sparingly - as noted, it's plastic), to using water pump pliers with cloth wrapped around the jaws and using table edge to try and lever it off.

What seemed to work was using two thin and narrow putty knives (spoons are too thick to fit, at least on my STA-7), and continuing to force/ pry from opposite sides. I used a single layer of masking tape on the face panel side so that it did not mar the surface. Even after it started, I still had to use considerable force to continue prying it off.

As to removing the face panel, you DO have to remove the machine screw at top centre, The metal bracket is glued to the underside of the plastic face panel. The S.M. (page 6) is silent on this. As to the 2 screws going into the back of the face panel, best to refer to pix by Briant8 in page 2 of this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-not-working-on-realistic-sys-7.645822/page-2

Cheers...

One tip for taking off old knobs... cut a strip of cloth, like from a rag, wrap it around and under the knob, and then pull. This of course only works on knobs on splined or D shafts, but it prevents damage from using tools.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/realistic/sta-7.shtml
See pdf page six. See the arrows? they show the screws.

You already posted and face is glued on? insanity.. prob. some jerk before you. might try a blow dryer and a fine knife edge to pry the seam.

Page 6 of the S.M. is somewhat mis-leading - arrows shown are parallel to the face plate; the screws in question screw into the face plate from the rear. The noted pix show this best.

Face plate is NOT glued on; there is a metal bracket at the top centre of the face plate, one end is glued to the face plate, the other end is screwed to the chassis/ frame. This (third) screw is not mentioned in the S.M. Disassembly Instructions, and does have to be removed to take off the face plate

One tip for taking off old knobs... cut a strip of cloth, like from a rag, wrap it around and under the knob, and then pull. This of course only works on knobs on splined or D shafts, but it prevents damage from using tools.

Tried that, without success - the knob was/ is on that tight. Knob was not glued on (at least on my machine), I guess just age and general corrosion. I've worked on dozens of components, and this one cursed knob was by far the hardest...

G'day;
If you're still struggling getting the 'Face trim plate' off or the metal bracket it's attached to I suggest post some pics.
bink

Not necessary - all good at this end (see post #4:)). I'll leave it to others to post/ follow-up if required.

Thank you all...

There are 6 screws that have to be taken out to remove the front panel. Two on the top near the edges, two on the bottom, and two on the inside of the receiver near the selector switch and the phone jack. These require a long phillips screwdriver.

Back
Top Bottom