Realistic STA-77

jhal

Titanium Bliss
I got this receiver a while ago, I think I even posted about it. Anyway, it was electronically dirty and had nicotine stains on it. Also, the wood case was less then pristine. I finally got around to giving it the "works" and I must say it cleaned up nicely. First it was off to the Deoxit spa and salon and then off came the faceplate and knobs for a good cleansing with vinegar and soap. Then I cleaned up the case with some Old English scratch filler and polish. The results were very pleasing and it sounds great to boot. Now I just need to find it a good home as I really don't need it, but it was fun making it pretty again. Man, this is addicting.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 249
You got a nice receiver there. Hang on to it. The two Realistics I have run perfect, sound good and have never broken down. With some AK creativity, I'm sure you'll find a place for it...:thmbsp::D

I just picked up an STA-77 including a pair of Realistic Nova 7B speakers today from craigslist for $25 . They have some cosmetic issues but that's why they are so cheap. But cosmetics aside: Gorgeous sound. Gorgeous receiver.

It doesn't have the powerhouse watts per channel rating of my "modern" audio/video receivers but it puts out a nice volume of sound belying its modest specs.

Plus it pulls in stations without the need of an extra antenna attached. Can't say the same for my "modern" audio/video receivers which are mute without an antenna of some sort. Besides the tuning meter -- the station selector tip even changes colors according to strength of the signal.

I wanted to go back to basics in the room I'm putting it in. I was wasting an audio/video receiver there since I was just using it for music only In this case less is more.

I got this receiver a while ago, I think I even posted about it. Anyway, it was electronically dirty and had nicotine stains on it. Also, the wood case was less then pristine. I finally got around to giving it the "works" and I must say it cleaned up nicely. First it was off to the Deoxit spa and salon and then off came the faceplate and knobs for a good cleansing with vinegar and soap. Then I cleaned up the case with some Old English scratch filler and polish. The results were very pleasing and it sounds great to boot. Now I just need to find it a good home as I really don't need it, but it was fun making it pretty again. Man, this is addicting.

I pretty much did the same thing with a Realistic sta-90 receiver. It was kind of dirty, and i cleaned her up, and wow, she really looks beautiful now. I now own 4 Realistic receivers, and never had a problem with any of them. Id keep it if i were you, you never know when you may need it.

That thing is nice looking. Man, those blue lit meter and station slider thingy (not sure what it is actually called) would look nice on my STA-85 (it has a black face, would look nice with the blue). Sadly, the bulbs in the darned thing wont burn out so I have no reason to put blue ones in. My dad bought it new back in the early 80's and it has been in continues use since then and I think the only think my dad did was replace one of the selector knobs on it. Oh, and it still has the "Genuine Walnut Veneer" sticker on the side of it. :D

Hey Metalownz the picture on your name is a Realistic STA-90 isn't it ? I have the same "powerfull" model. It kicks for real !!! I think it's been made by Sansui by the front panel look. Mine has a different "orange" glow though is yours original ?

I was at one of the local ARC thrifts about a month ago and saw a STA-77 that someone apparently decided did not look like the cool black stuff now available. The owner had "colored" the entire case with black magic marker. He/she had colored outside the lines and there were a number of black streaks on the faceplate. I assume that some older owner passed it down to a kid, who didn't want his friends to think he was listening to old crap and so the black "improvement.". I considered buying it and trying a restore, but decided to wait until the following Sat. when the ARC always has a everything half price sale. At half price it would have been $9.50. I forgot to go back the follwing Sat., and then it was gone a week later. Hopefully someone else is trying to bring it back to at least some of its former glory.

Hey Metalownz the picture on your name is a Realistic STA-90 isn't it ? I have the same "powerfull" model. It kicks for real !!! I think it's been made by Sansui by the front panel look. Mine has a different "orange" glow though is yours original ?

Ha ha, yep, its a Realistic STA-90. And your right, its very powerful for 45 watts per channel! The lights that are inside are solid state, and will never burn out, hence the yellow instead of orange. I think Sansui did make this particular model, because it looks like a Sansui 881. Sorry for the delay in posting, i didnt even know you posted until i looked at all my old posts.

By the way, i have two Realistic STA-90's. My second system has the Realistic with Pioneer speakers, and Cerwin Vega bookshelves, and boy does it sound nice. Im always proud to invite people over for a listen. Realistic is underrated IMO.

Oh yeah, on my second Realistic, all the lights are the original orange color. I wont change them till they burn out.

Back
Top Bottom