Realistic STA-85 info

x_25

Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...
Just looking for some good places to find info on my Realistic STA-85. If someone can point me at a good site or something. And I'm also wondering what you guys here on AK think of the old Realistic receivers.

Also, should I open it up and clean the dust out? It has about a 1/8" lair of it.

i love em!!

Just looking for some good places to find info on my Realistic STA-85. If someone can point me at a good site or something. And I'm also wondering what you guys here on AK think of the old Realistic receivers.

Also, should I open it up and clean the dust out? It has about a 1/8" lair of it.

if i see any older realistic sta-s on the curb, y.s., s.a. guess what? they is mine!!!!!!!!! im sitting on a few now, but lookin to find the t.o.t.l.s like i had before. realistic's, pioneers, marantz's, an sui's are my cup a joe:thmbsp:

but the realistic's? have a warm spot err sound for me :thmbsp:

I like old Realistic receivers also. I miss my STA 52B back in 1980 which was my first hi-fi receiver replacing my Soundesign 8 track/receiver. (ugh!):yuck:

The STA-85 was in the Radio Shack 1979 catalog, it sold for $299.95. Nice receiver.

Realistic is a fairly difficult brand to find information about, even for their TOTL models, compared to Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, even Technics. Yes, the Radio Shack website has stats, but beyond that, I found it impossible to find any information for my STA-47 (sold for $199.99 in 1974).

My Realistic has ok sound quality, nothing spectacular, but in the 33 years of its existence all it has needed is a new light bulb and a few exterior cleanings. Not even deoxit!

There is a fairly large following for Realistic on AK, I find.

Mine (which was bought by my dad and has been in use almost continuously) has only ever needed the on/off/speaker selector switch replaced. (knock on wood) Other than that I think it has been wiped down with a wet paper towel maybe 5 times. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I think it has a bulb out at the moment but i t has others in the front so i see no need to replace it. It probably does need a good interior cleaning though. looking in through the grill i would say it has about 1/8" of dust in there.

There is lots of information on AK about the STA-85, STA-52(B), and one of my all time favorite Realistic Receivers, the STA-120B. Do a search and it will keep you busy reading for quite a while. I have RS catalogs and I can scan the catalog pages for you but I think that these three already appear in other threads.

Sta 95

I recently found a STA95. Looks like a Sansui rxer of these years to me. 45 RMS WPC... Really too strong for me. Sound is very good but I usually hear at low volume ( mariage needs... ) and the button is either too loud or too low, not easy to find good volume position so it sits on a shelf for now. Looks like a very good machine to me. I think Radio Schack these years were good in warranty so they chose good models made by other companies; many are Sanyo but this STA95 is a Sansui for sure.

There is lots of information on AK about the STA-85, STA-52(B), and one of my all time favorite Realistic Receivers, the STA-120B. Do a search and it will keep you busy reading for quite a while. I have RS catalogs and I can scan the catalog pages for you but I think that these three already appear in other threads.
I've seen catalog page you posted in another theard but didn't it was a catalog page - thought it was a magazine ad instead. So, do you know the years the 120B was made?

Realistic is a fairly difficult brand to find information about, even for their TOTL models, compared to Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, even Technics. Yes, the Radio Shack website has stats, but beyond that, I found it impossible to find any information for my STA-47 (sold for $199.99 in 1974).

My Realistic has ok sound quality, nothing spectacular, but in the 33 years of its existence all it has needed is a new light bulb and a few exterior cleanings. Not even deoxit!

There is a fairly large following for Realistic on AK, I find.

It's all here:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

:music:

p.s. -- I really like my Realistic STA-790. The sound is rich and warm and the built-in equalizer is very handy when it comes to resuscitating old cassettes, especially those recorded on (apparently) sub-par systems.

Nice! I just found one of these when i was downstairs throwing away some trash.

the top grille is missing, havent plugged it in but im sure glad for this thread.

Holy i remember reading the radioshack catalog and soooooo wanting those amps and speakers.

so ill plug it in and report back, its never going to be first but itll probably be a test mule. Driver break in and stuff.

Any opinions? What should i expect?

Slightly off-topic, but I have always had great luck finding vintage RS stuff in Thrift stores, compared to the better-known brands. I have scored Minumus 7s, Nova 7Bs, and Mach Ones (that I intend to perform the AK recommended mods on this summer). I also gifted a friend a smaller Realistic receiver that I get to enjoy every time I visit him. And I have an STA-790 that "kind of" works but has some issues that I will need to sort out when I have the time. Earphone, I take it that you agree that it would be worth my while to get the STA-790 up to speed? I picked it up when I was searching for a separate equalizer, but saw it on offer for $6 and figured I couldn't go wrong.

P/U my 85 for $25. Silver face. Love it. Grabbed a sta- 95 but it jangles my nerves on FM unlike the 85. Both are solid amps.
Bose and Tannoy.

Back
Top Bottom