Really Liking Me Some Mono

bigaltx24

I rescued a 1957 Magnavox mono console a couple of weeks ago, mostly for the 142-BC amp that was in it. It also had a 15" alnico woofer in it, and after some research on google I found out it was a full range driver. Wish I had two, I would have tried them in an open baffle stereo set up. With only one I figured I would set it up in an open baffle and let my son try it as a guitar speaker. His practice setup is a Line6 Pod into the mic input of a Sansui 881 powering a pair of Baby Advents. I whipped up an open baffle and hooked it up to the Sansui, my son was amazed by the sound, dark, full, but still able to hit razors edge highs.

I told him it would get better as it broke in, so he needed to play it for 20 hours or so. He usually plays for about an hour or so most days. After about four days I was going to be in the room with the practice setup for a while and just said lets try a CD thru this thing. I've never been a fan of mono but this big 15" sounds great. I've put more time on it recently then my son has. The thing is breaking in very nice, my son is blown away by the tone this speaker puts out and I'm liking me some mono lately

MAG 583844.jpg

I had mono once ... no sir ... didn't like it! ;-}

Only mono rig I've got here ... use this to play back a bunch of old shellac. Surprisingly nice sound just using the built in amp/speaker.

califone-1430b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom