Really upset with my Boss's Boss at work right now...

captainclock

Pacifist Otaku
I am extremely unhappy with my Boss's Boss at work right now because she had people install networked surveillance cameras all over the Goodwill store I work at as a theft deterrent (which is understandable because our donation box outside the facility is constantly broken into) and I'm all for that.
The part I'm upset about is that they are supposedly also using the cameras to watch me to make sure I'm doing my job correctly (just because I occasionally miss a dust bunny or two on the sales floor and because I get distracted easily because of my ADHD) anyways and then to top it all off the "big boss" as I'll call her is forcing me (and all of the other employees as well) to come in on a SUNDAY morning during most people's church time's or in the evening (when people are still relaxing and enjoying the Sabbath day off) just to hear herself ramble on for 2 hours about why the cameras were installed in the store and to remind people of the Goodwill policies (of which the first one is more or less just stating the obvious) and the second one isn't even necessary because they gave us all a handbook with all of the rules and regulations in them when we were first hired, all we have to do is just re-read the stupid manual just to know all of the stuff that the "big boss" is going to ramble on about for 2 hours.

And on top of that we aren't even being paid for this (which is especially annoying to me because I'm taking two hours of my precious time out of my day that I could be using to relax, or getting stuff done around the house to just sit in a small stuffy breakroom and hear an old woman who is completely out of touch with the employees ramble on about stuff that shouldn't be rambled on about for 2 hours on the Sabbath day without pay.

What do you guys think? Is the "big boss" at my work being completely unreasonable by scheduling a "Mandatory Meeting" on a Sunday and then not compensating workers who have their day's off on Sunday for having to come in on their day off?

I think she is and I think that in my opinion that the next time they have a meeting like this and they schedule it on a Sunday, Mandatory or Not, I will NOT go to it (even if I end up losing my job over it) because, to me no job that schedules mandatory meetings on a Sunday and makes you come in when its on your day off without some sort of pay compensation for your time isn't worth working for.
Especially when they think that they can get away with singling me out for surveilance purposes to make sure I'm doing my job correctly just because they don't seem to have a proper grasp of what all ADHD entails and my having Autism and ADHD is the reason why I have a hard time staying focused on my job at work, to me that's way to invasive and Orwellian.

It seems to be the way things are going nowadays. Each level of management is under pressure from above. Doing your job the way you see fit is not a big concern to your higher-ups. In the workforce the saying is "s**t flows downhill". I think your management is being too strict. They are most likely fighting to keep their jobs. If I were in your shoes I would go along for now, at least outwardly. Keep a happy-go-lucky attitude, even if you feel differently. It may blow over. Cooler heads prevail. If it gets worse your choices are to have a talk or take a walk.

It seems to be the way things are going nowadays. Each level of management is under pressure from above. Doing your job the way you see fit is not a big concern to your higher-ups. In the workforce the saying is "s**t flows downhill". I think your management is being too strict. They are most likely fighting to keep their jobs. If I were in your shoes I would go along for now, at least outwardly. Keep a happy-go-lucky attitude, even if you feel differently. It may blow over. Cooler heads prevail. If it gets worse your choices are to have a talk or take a walk.
Yeah, well that's the thing though I'm trying to do the my job the best I can, the problem is that my main boss's boss has an unrealistic idea of how she wants things done she wants the sales floor's floors to be completely spotless (yeah try and have a floor that was just cleaned at 7:00 in the morning try and stay spotless after 3 or 4 hours of customers walking in and out of the store) which is unrealistic because my head boss's boss will randomly show up at the store for a "surprise inspection" at a random time that is usually a couple to a few hours after the store has been opened and there has been customers walking all over the floor on the sales floor and then when she sees that the floor is tracked up and dirty, she complains to my main boss because she thinks I'm not doing my job properly (even though I am and she's not taking in to account that the store has already been opened for a few hours and that the floor could of easily gotten tracked up and dirtied in the amount of time since I had first cleaned it to the time that she's seeing it, hence why I say she has an extremely unrealistic expectations for store cleanliness, and for my job and for me. She even complains about the bathroom doors being scuffed up (which the customer's bathroom door is constantly being marred by customers taking their carts into the bathroom with them which scuffs up the paint and even scratches the paint off the door) and she mistakes scuffmarks and chipped paint for dirt build up. I'm sorry but the woman I'm complaining about in this thread is an extremely unreasonable woman when it comes to expectations about stuff like my cleaning duties and other stuff related my job. In fact if I had to describe her personality I would have to say she has OCD to the EXTREME because she basically wants stuff done a certain way or you're doing it wrong, like with me, she wants me to do my custodial job a certain way (her way) or not at all, (which is why she's playing big brother with me) because she wants to make sure I'm doing my job her way (not my way) and like I said because I had Autism combined with ADHD and ADD I have a hard time staying on task (I will want to go see what's going on in the drive through area where the donations come in and where they price the merchandise to see if anything interesting has come in or not and I also would sometimes look at the electronic salvage to see what's been thrown in there, if there was any vintage stereo equipment or VCRs or anything like that thrown in there because I'm of course fascinated by that kind of stuff) but anyways this woman unrealistically expects me to not get distracted (a nearly impossible task for someone with ADHD that this boss woman doesn't understand) and do my job the right way (her way) which is why what she's doing is rather creepy and why I'm upset at her, (besides making me attend a meeting on my day off without pay).

Like I said it's the way of the world. I know it's easier said than done but you can't let someone else ruin your day. Bosses are very often complete jerks. I think the worst gravitate towards management jobs, they have ego issues. Whistle while you work and ignore the criticism. Or walk.

This time I would just soldier through it for the experience. We have annoying meetings at work called by mid-management types the sole purpose of which seems to be to give all the butt kissers the opportunity to kiss mid-management butt. So you just sit through the proceedings and endure for 30 minutes or so then you go back to the real world.

Thanks, and if the "big boss" starts picking on me too much at this meeting then I'll probably just let her have it and probably just tell her to stick the job where the sun don't shine because I'm sick of how she's been treating me so far (she does nothing but complain about the work I do to my immediate supervisor which also happens to be the manager of the store I work at, and whenever I hear something from my head boss at work as far as comments about my work from this "big boss" its almost always negative comments/complaints about how she thinks I'm not doing a good job about sweeping and mopping the sales floor, cleaning the bathrooms, etc, when I've been doing my job to the best of my ability the entire time and that whenever the "big boss" comes into the store for a "surprise inspection" the store has already been open for several hours which is more than enough time for the store to get dirty again since the time I cleaned it at 7:00 in the morning because of customers coming in and out of the store and moving clothes around on the racks. Anyways at this point in time if I do end up having to resort to telling the "big boss" off and she ends up firing me then I won't be too upset because right now I'm kind of starting to get fed up with the job because I feel like I'm not as appreciated as I was when I first started there a year ago (which sadly enough this was the way it was for me when I worked as the Lobby Attendant at McDonald's after I got out of High School, even right down to the unappreciative boss woman who was downright mean to me and did nothing but complain about me and my work).

Like you guys said I'll try and suffer though this meeting, but like I said, if there is any signs that this boss woman is going to start attacking me and my work, then she's going to get a few words from me that she'll never see coming.

Quit. Work somewhere else.
I wish it were that easy, but sadly enough it took me almost a year just to find this job, and I kind of need the extra money that the job pays, but like I said if this meeting turns out to be nothing more than an "Attack Levi and his work ethic" meeting, then I'm going to walk right out of that meeting without saying a word, or else, I will say some words and they won't be pleasant words. Either way, boss woman is going to know I'm not happy with her and she'll either think twice about mistreating employees or she'll just fire me, either way I'll be happy that I stood up to this unappreciative wench.

Do your homework about finding a new job. When you have yourself covered with working elsewhere, contact the National Labor Relations Board and file a claim for all the time you have spent at work when you have not been paid. Doing what she has been doing to you all is against the law. Everyone else who has been called in for the Sunday sermons should also be filing a claim with you to get past pay for those times they were called to work, without getting paid. The jolt of having the NLRB making inquiry will shock the shit out of her highness and take her down a peg. She cannot fire anyone for filing a claim with the NLRB and if she does she will be digging a hole for herself that she will not be able to get out of. On top of that Goodwill will now have to hire expensive lawyers to cover their ass. Follow the law and treat your people well is what she should be doing. Instead she is showing all of you that she suffers from Napoleonic syndrome.

I wish it were that easy, but sadly enough it took me almost a year just to find this job, and I kind of need the extra money that the job pays, but like I said if this meeting turns out to be nothing more than an "Attack Levi and his work ethic" meeting, then I'm going to walk right out of that meeting without saying a word, or else, I will say some words and they won't be pleasant words. Either way, boss woman is going to know I'm not happy with her and she'll either think twice about mistreating employees or she'll just fire me, either way I'll be happy that I stood up to this unappreciative wench.

Do the best you can and try and keep your job or quit and work someplace else. Either way don't burn your bridge. No one will benefit from it. Especially you.

I am extremely unhappy with my Boss's Boss at work right now because she had people install networked surveillance cameras all over the Goodwill store I work at as a theft deterrent (which is understandable because our donation box outside the facility is constantly broken into) and I'm all for that.
The part I'm upset about is that they are supposedly also using the cameras to watch me to make sure I'm doing my job correctly (just because I occasionally miss a dust bunny or two on the sales floor and because I get distracted easily because of my ADHD) anyways and then to top it all off the "big boss" as I'll call her is forcing me (and all of the other employees as well) to come in on a SUNDAY morning during most people's church time's or in the evening (when people are still relaxing and enjoying the Sabbath day off) just to hear herself ramble on for 2 hours about why the cameras were installed in the store and to remind people of the Goodwill policies (of which the first one is more or less just stating the obvious) and the second one isn't even necessary because they gave us all a handbook with all of the rules and regulations in them when we were first hired, all we have to do is just re-read the stupid manual just to know all of the stuff that the "big boss" is going to ramble on about for 2 hours.

And on top of that we aren't even being paid for this (which is especially annoying to me because I'm taking two hours of my precious time out of my day that I could be using to relax, or getting stuff done around the house to just sit in a small stuffy breakroom and hear an old woman who is completely out of touch with the employees ramble on about stuff that shouldn't be rambled on about for 2 hours on the Sabbath day without pay.

What do you guys think? Is the "big boss" at my work being completely unreasonable by scheduling a "Mandatory Meeting" on a Sunday and then not compensating workers who have their day's off on Sunday for having to come in on their day off?

I think she is and I think that in my opinion that the next time they have a meeting like this and they schedule it on a Sunday, Mandatory or Not, I will NOT go to it (even if I end up losing my job over it) because, to me no job that schedules mandatory meetings on a Sunday and makes you come in when its on your day off without some sort of pay compensation for your time isn't worth working for.
Especially when they think that they can get away with singling me out for surveilance purposes to make sure I'm doing my job correctly just because they don't seem to have a proper grasp of what all ADHD entails and my having Autism and ADHD is the reason why I have a hard time staying focused on my job at work, to me that's way to invasive and Orwellian.

I understand exactly what you're going through. If I was you, I'd go the meeting today. Maybe she won't schedule any more free time meetings.

You're new at this job, even if a year seems like a long time. Make an effort to do what they tell you to do, even if it seems like the bosses are being 'petty tyrants'.

Start looking for a new job if being under the camera is going to drive you nuts. She isn't going spend much time reviewing the surveillance footage unless things are stolen. You have to play their game, man, it's like that at every job.

what dosnt kill you makes you stronger! work as hard as you can and mind your own business. you will be fine. we used to be called the hitler youth when I first started my job 30yrs ago my boss was the biggest asshole in north America! its pretty bad when they think of someone on the same level as hitler. he was the meanest, rudest hateful sob you ever met, you have guys like this when you have a good job and make good money sometimes. I got to see that assh*le get fired and carted off the trading floor a year ago after all those years! :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Do you have a written job description? What does it say about meetings? How about the handbook? You may or may not have already agreed to those conditions.

Bosses sometimes do that when they know that you may be smarter than them.

Wow!
Surveillance to protect all that stuff that was given to them and most of it is junk!

I agree, yur ready for better things!

Whatever you do, do NOT walk out and call her down ... especially with a room full of witnesses!
that affects YOUR future chance at jobs and NEVER works out in your best interests -

But really - if you come to work, even if just for a lecture, you should be paid for the time.

I've realized that sometimes you are better off just leaving a job then to wait for things to get better. While you are working line up a new job. In the meantime just suck it up and keep your mouth shut. When you get a new job you give notice then finish your time there gracefully.
It's always good to leave a place on a positive note, that way you can get a reference and there isn't a huge hole in your work history that you have to explain to any future job prospects.

Back
Top Bottom