Rebuild a Klipsch K-48-E Woofer

KA1J

I'd like to rebuild the woofers on my Klipsch Chorus I. They are K-48-E and the only rebuild kit I have found is for the K-48-K . I've tried searching earlier posts and googling but I can't find out if this kit will work perfectly with the E version.

If someone could point me to a link that answers this or if it's not compatible & there's a source for the proper rebuild kit, I'd appreciate that link or name.

Thanks

The coils in the tweeters fried, Ti replacements are on the way. I like the Chorus and want to make sure the woofers are at 100%. I can afford it and I have the time, so why not make sure the woofers are as new.

I should add that sans tweeters & only hearing the mid horns and woofers, there seemed to be less coming from the woofers than I'd expect.

It's an easy replacement assuming the proper parts are available. That's why I need to know if the E & K are interchangeable.

Last edited:
It's a paper accordion surround right? I've never heard of someone needing to replace one unless it was punctured. I'd wager they're fine without knowing more

The coils in the tweeters fried, Ti replacements are on the way. I like the Chorus and want to make sure the woofers are at 100%. I can afford it and I have the time, so why not make sure the woofers are as new.

I should add that sans tweeters & only hearing the mid horns and woofers, there seemed to be less coming from the woofers than I'd expect.

It's an easy replacement assuming the proper parts are available. That's why I need to know if the E & K are interchangeable.

I've been looking also. I bought a pair and couldn't unload them from the interior of my truck in single digit temps for 2 days. Brought them in and apparently the magnets shifted I have yet to disassemble them. I can get franes in need of recone and would love to find a compatible kit. Worse case I reuse the cone and vc from the originals. Once I remove the cone and vc I will measure them and attempt to cross reference to standard Eminence parts.

According to another posting on this site the 48-E is made by Eminance and the K version is made by Pyle. So I imagine there are differences and slight changes would be need to be made in the rossover. I'm sure Eminance can supplu you a recone kit if Klipsch cant. Call Bob Crites he'll have answers on crossover differences and possibly solutions to reconing . But remember this a reconed woofer is always drier than a woofer that has a hours on it and has been broken.

Gary: following you line of logic you ought to buy a whole new set of speakers just to be sure. You fry a one inch tweeter and for some reason you suspect that a Pro K48 high power woofer with a three inch voice coil is also suspect? Unless there is a lot that you are not mentioning here I expect that you are just upset over a tweeter and thinking way too hard. You need to understand that tweeters operate under far greater physical force than any woofer does (remember that force = mass x acceleration) and the voice coils of tweeters are made with very fine wire which if there are any defects in manufacturing can simply die (break at lead out) due to physical stress this does not happen very often but it can. The K48 can withstand a lot of power and it is a fair assumption that it is just fine unless you have physical evidence to suspect otherwise such as a burnt smell or burned cone and or spider at the tinsel leads etc..

Back
Top Bottom