Rebuild Klipschorn...

stevem5000

My brother in law moved out of Idaho a few years ago...and left a pair of Klipschorns in his old house...He did not have room in new house...they are still there...a new person bought the old house and has the Klipschorms but is not using them....He is NOT an audiofile...

I could probably buy them for a couple hundred each...I have to drive from St Louis to Boise to get them...about 3 days each way...My bro in law tells me that will have to do some rehan on wiring and maybe on the wood...These are solid walnut...

So...my question is...is there much demand for Klipschorns any more...???...any idea how much I could sell them for assuming I take a week to go get them and refinish the wood and rewire and recap the crossovers...

I really don't know how much $$$ I would have to put into them...my bro in law is not sure as he has not sued them for maybe 15 years...but he assures me they work very well...

Any thoughts...???

And also...if the foam on the woofers is bad....can I get replacement foam for them...???

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas...

There are folks on the Klipsch forum that keep some detailed price history (ebay kind of stuff) for Khorns.... I'm sure they could get you some good ballpark numbers. Pictures (meaning actual condition of speaker) would help a lot.

I will say this.... I bought mine for arouind $2,000 (yes probably nearing 18 years ago). I also drove 12 hours (one way) to get them BUT, I was making a vacation of it....took about a week to make it happen and visited some friends/family along the way.

I'm not sure that it would be be worth it even if they gave them to you.... factor in cost of fuel, cost of hotel, cost to refurb.... I don't know.

Foam on the woofers won't be bad because it doesn't exist. They use paper surrounds!! (semantics I know) The surround COULD be bad but my experience is it's usually not likely. There are many many examples of Klipsch speakers using the K33 that are going strong decades later (my own LaScalas, using the same woofer as in "your" Khorns, bought new by me in 1979, still hanging in there)

So, yes, they could be bad...but I'd wager are fine. If they need fixed, you can buy a new pair for something around $150 apiece. They are fairly inexpensive. There are people who fix the surrounds as well.

What might jump in front of you is people will ask about the crossovers, their age & condition. The crossover seems to be the main area of concern and "fixing up" with these older units. Fixing up can be an inexpensive replacement of a couple caps to spending something like $1,500 (guess) to get some esoteric extreme slope crossovers made by Al K. (I had a pair of these).

If you're considering buying these for YOUR use, do as you feel called to do. If you're considering doing it for resale....I'd probably pass. I don't know that there would be enough gain there to make it worthwhile unless of course, you want to make a trip there anyway!!

Side note: These are not 'solid' (sorry for being picky on the words) Walnut. They are veneered walnut over (if I recall) baltic birch plywood. That said, they are probably grain matched and can still be visually stunning (mine were, they had beautiful matching "arches" in the grain)

Best of luck with them!

I'm just confused... How does it take 3 days (one way) to get from St. Louis to Boise? I have driven coast to coast is less time than three days--in a 24' moving van with a car trailer (helping a friend move).

Who in the hell in their right mind just "abandons" a pair of K-horns in a house they are selling? Even if you know you can't take them with you or probably never be able to use them again, you could still sell them before you move. Your BIL is clearly NOT an "audiophile" either.

Personally, I'd just let them be (especially if you think you'd have to pay the "new owner" to rescue them, and the uncertainty of actual condition). They are not that hard to come by, and if you really want a pair, and you've got the $$$$, they are still in production today.

Keep in mind, they require THE ROOM--not just the physical space to put them (because they are big speakers), but also an appropriate room to position them in the corners to work as designed.

Hmm... A week...

OK, if you are not losing money due to not working for a week, and you can make a vacation out of it, I would. If not, I'd leave them.

I'm just confused... How does it take 3 days (one way) to get from St. Louis to Boise? I have driven coast to coast is less time than three days--in a 24' moving van with a car trailer (helping a friend move).
<snip>

Google maps shows ~1600 miles. That's a good 2 day trip. I've also driven cross country in 3 days (and less!). 800 miles a day is relatively easy, at 70 mph with a couple of stops it usually ends up taking 12-13 hours.

To the OP, assuming a big enough vehicle to fit a pair of K-Horns, say 20 mph, at $3 per gallon you're looking at $240 for fuel. $100 per night for a hotel, add $300. If you're not packing lunches, add another $30-$50 per day for food. That's roughly $700 in expenses, plus whatever 4 days of your time is worth.

$200 each for K-Horns is dirt cheap. (Why would the seller let them go for so little?). But $200 each plus $700 is $1100. That's a fair price, but not something that would be worth 4 days of my time to achieve.

bs

With the price of new corner horns, pushing above $10,000, only paying $1200 to acquire them is a no brainer. Even if it costs you a couple thousand to restore them and update them, you are still way a head. The only question is do you like the sound they reproduce. If yes, then go get them. Then to, do you have the financial means? And the time is another question. You will probably need help to move them and a large van or pickup with a shell to transport them. Other wise you need to think about renting a trailer. Plan on separating the tops for transporting.

As I'm retired and own an RV I belong to the 300 mile club. Just far enough to get to the next major destination out in the middle of no where West Texas. 270 to Albq, 300 to Midland 300 to Tucson. 260 to Chihuahua Mex, but I don't go across the border anymore. 340 to Lubbock and 250 to Marfa, Texas and 250 to Hobbs New Mexico. I guess that takes care of all the major directions. On Fort Stockton is about 250 , too. in the good old days one day to Denver 630, to San Diego 640, to Houston 770, Oklahoma City, 700 , 720 to LA and two days to Home in Santa Rosa Calif. 2 days to Mexico City . Today we have have 80 mph speed ;limits, which I haven't tried yet in a Sedan, though the Granddaughters do it all the time from San Antonio and Houston with the cruise control at 85. I have driven to and from Tucson in less than 4 hours 300+ miles each way.

An RV'ers Moto when driving a class A diesel pusher motor home is " Half the fun is getting there". Get there by 2:00 set up and be ready for Happy hour or a dip in the pool and then Happy Hour.

Moral to the story, don't do it unless its fun!

Last edited:
With the price of new corner horns, pushing above $10,000, only paying $1200 to acquire them is a no brainer. Even if it costs you a couple thousand to restore them and update them, you are still way a head. The only question is do you like the sound they reproduce. If yes, then go get them. Then to, do you have the financial means? And the time is another question. You will probably need help to move them and a large van or pickup with a shell to transport them. Other wise you need to think about renting a trailer. Plan on separating the top for transporting.

I agree on the $1200, it's the 4 days of my time on top of that I'd have a problem with. K-Horns appear here from time to time, the going rate seems to be $1,000 - $1,500, give or take, and they're local. I paid $900 for my pair a few years ago.

You are right on the transport as well. I moved mine a short distance in an open pickup truck. For a 2 day trip, something enclosed is a must. Also, with all the shaking and rubbing they'd encounter over a 1600 mile trip, they need to be well wrapped and secured.

bs

I'd go get them if I was going to keep them, that's a no-brainer. I went all the way to North Dakota in between winter storms to get an antique radio once, and I still have it.

For resale, it depends.

They are worthless. send me the contact information and I'll see that they are properly disposed of.;)

Back
Top Bottom