Recap a Yamaha C-2X preamp

Sorry for messing around, I just hope that wajobu's music is not coming out of you're speakers and vice versa after I switched the 2 pre's in my mind :)

B-2; Are you sure that your’s is the one that came back from EW? :D

the-real-mandak said:
Sorry for messing around, I just hope that wajobu's music is not coming out of you're speakers and vice versa after I switched the 2 pre's in my mind :) B-2; Are you sure that your’s is the one that came back from EW? :D
Had EW's return address on the box. Do you think merrylander would do that just to mess with me? :D

Don't recall if this link has been posted before: http://amp8.com/tr-amp/yamaha/yam-b2x.htm

There is a B-2x listed on Audiogon for $500. Looks pretty nice. And that is where the link came from. If I wasn't doing the B-2 thing, I would be doing the B-2x thing is my guess (unless, of course, an MX-2000 fell from the sky and hit me on the head.......or better yet, an MX-10000).

Real pretty, the interior of those B-2Xs and C-2xs...indeed sonically wonderful, but also beautiful pieces to behold.

I'm starting to realise how lucky i was to get both for £100.

Having seen them both inside and heard the pre amp wipe the floor with my sony processor I'm seriously thinking about selling all my surround kit and speakers for around £1300 and buying a pair of NS-1000's and a good source.

I've seen some NS-30x's on ebay, apparently with titanium mids and aluminium treble units. Anyone know anything about them. I know they'll be nothing like as good as NS-1000's but they're very cheap and could tide me over till i get some NS-1000's.

A £100 that is what I call a discount. Even that you had to wait 20 years to get it. From new the system would cost around £3.333-3.890, - here in DK.

B-2 yes I am sure merrylander would do something like that, buy only with you :)

The link has been posted several times here on AK, but it is still nice.

The speaker terminals are now fixed and solid again. Filled with epoxy resin. I've also taken the pins out and polished them up nicely. All caps replaced on the speaker board so its ready to go back in....once i've taken pics.

I was thinking of changing the speaker wiring between the amp boards and the speaker terminals to QED silver as i have some laying around.Is it worth the hassle for 0.5m runs?

Agreed, its all done now. I've found the orginal plastic tubing on the cables actually makes an excellent heatshrink, maybe it is heatshrink that was never heated at the factory? Its called Sumitomo sumitube.

There's loads of it so i'm going to shrink as much as i can, its looking great.

The cables for the signals from the RCA's is very chunky stuff. I've only ever seen spindly wires used in amps for signals before. It's properly shielded.

Its "Neglex 2474 Low impedance cable....Mogami wire and cable corp".

Looks abit tired at the moment but might be ok with an inch or so off each end and a clean.

More pics...

Attachments

• spboard.jpg
    spboard.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 122
  • epoxy.jpg
    epoxy.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 112
  • qedsilver.jpg
    qedsilver.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 106
Good for you. Let us know what you think after you've had some run-time on it. And how it works with the 602s. You might want to try with the 803s. I 'hear' good things about them in 2-channel systems.

Hi All,
I've been looking throughout these forums, looking for a C-2x owner's instruction manuals, and couldn't manage to find one.
Could anyone help ?
Thanks and regards.
Francis

I take it you mean for the C-2x

Here's a pic of the C-2x with the location of the black gates i suspect are fitted standard.

Hello everybody,

I just bought an used Yamaha C-2x, and it does have Rubycon caps with "Black Gate" writen on them at the same uncovered places that on your picture.

Another proof that Yamaha put Black Gate as standard in some of their stuff, at least the C-2x.

Last edited:
Scytales,
You don't post a lot,do you?Six posts since 2006. :D

I was a bit amazed to find this thread resurrected this morning.My Lightspeed Attenuator is giving me a spot of bother,so(not having either Kenwood 700C to call-upon)I put the C2x back in the system for the first time in over 18 months.

By way of explanation,my system is vastly different to the last time I plugged the C2x in:
I replaced the Dynavector P-75 phono preamp with the Moon LP-5.3.The Lightspeed attenuator replaced my Kenwood 700C (EW).The Accuphase active crossover replaced my Behringer unit and the two Kenwood L-1000Ms replaced the Yamaha B-2 and the Kenwood Basic M2 in my active speaker set-up.
The biggest changes were the Yamaha GT 2000 replacing the Yamaha PX-2,and the Soundsmith 'The Voice(Ebony)' replacing my Dynavector Karat Diamond cartridge.

This long preamble is there because I was/am very impressed by the C2x upon reinserting it back into my system.
It is a lovely sounding preamp.
I still don't like the way that the rear panel connectors come loose from the circuit boards.:mad::rant: :thumbsdn:

Just two days ago,I got a contact from my friend of 20+ years AK member 'Timofred',who wants to buy my C2x and B-2.With the Lightspeed giving me problems,I decided to run the C2x so as to test that it was working properly and to have a preamp for the system.
I wonder whether Timofred would let me keep the C2x:)D:)),I don't think he'll let me back-out of selling it to him. :no: :nono:

Now that is a good sales speach :D

Quite a few changes you did there, but from here I would say the biggest inpackt must have been the change of crossover.

About the circuit boards I can only agree, I thought I fixed my C-2x a few month back but now the problem is back :(

Now that is a good sales speach :D

Quite a few changes you did there, but from here I would say the biggest inpackt must have been the change of crossover.

About the circuit boards I can only agree, I thought I fixed my C-2x a few month back but now the problem is back :(

trm,I can definitely say that the GT 2000 was the biggest change.The biggest single improvement in sound quality,that any component has made to my system(ever in my experience,with any system).
All the rest of the changes have built upon what the GT 2000 has brought to the system.I still had the Dynavector Karat when I put the 2000 into the system.You should have heard the JUMP in performance from that cartridge,compared to how it sounded in the PX-2.
The C2x sounds very nice in this system.It is a very nice sounding preamp.Of that there is no doubt.The Accuphase of course is a big improvement over the Behringer,but for the price that the Behringer can be bought for,it is a bargain and it takes some very good components to show the Behringer's flaws.In other words,with a so-so source and preamp,the difference between the Accuphase and the Behringer would be narrowed.
It's only when the source is very,very capable and the preamp is also similarly capable,that the Accuphase has the Quality of signal feeding it to be able to comprehensively/unambiguously show the Behringer just what it(the Behringer)cannot do.

Last edited:
For Theophile:

I'm French, and I mostly post at the hi-fi forum of www.homecinema-fr.com, though I do appreciate the huge knowledge base of audiokarma about vintage stuff.

As for the C-2x are concerned, I am fortunate enough mine has no problem with the RCA jacks. :)

Last edited:
From this thread:
"I'll get plenty of pics of the innards with the covers off each section.

I had a look at the phono stage (which has also been black gated already) and its an amazing looking thing. I don't use vinyl anymore but i'm tempted to go back to it after seeing that phono stage.

I think there's something wrong with the pre amp though. I can't get past -40dB without it sounding harsh and frankly too loud, overdriven. Maybe its not suited to my power amp.

Does anyone have any specs on this or better an owners/service manual?"
__________________PX2/705MC cart, gain/pre choice
My post from another forum:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am using a PX-2 with a C2-x preamp and the high output moving coil Yamaha 705MC cartridge. There is a large discrepancy between line level sources and phono regarding output levels: the phono level is much lower than the line inputs when using the hi level/moving magnet phono inputs with this cart (over 10db). If I use the MM input, even selecting th -10db phono attenuation button, the phono input is now much to high! And if that weren't enough, my other carts are all in the same ballpark: 705MC: .3mV; Adcom Crosscoil lo out MM: .3mV; B&O MMC-1: 2.12mV.
I need to try a lo-output MC and see if things balance out. Perhaps there is a fault in the pre-perhaps the phono section is down on gain, but I doubt it. In fact, it's almost as if the line inputs are too sensitive. I've resorted to putting -10db attenuaters on those inputs to nearly match them to my turntables and carts which sound fabulous. Running in this configuration, you can barely use full volume if you want to hurt your ears, but can't hurt the speakers. phil "
Without the attenuation of the line inputs, this volume control would be way too hot for comfort-and conversely-with un-doctored phono inputs and low-output cartridges (for MM input), max loudness is a little lacking.
Anybody have any experience with this aspect of C2-x? phil

Last edited:
pfcs49 try to use headphones with the C-2x and hear if the problem is there too.

Input sensitivity/Impedance
Phono 1 MM 2,5mV/47ohm; MC 100uV/100ohm
Phone 2 MM 2,5mV/47ohm

Output level pre out 1+2 1,5V/47ohm

Max input level of phone 1 and 2 MM is 500mV (1kHz, THD 0.01%), input 1 in MC is 20mV (1kHz, THD 0.01%).
Max output pre. 1 and 2 is 10V (THD 0.01%).

I am using the Audio-Technica AT440MLa (Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 4.0 mV) and a AT-OC10 (0,4mV) with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom