Recapping Question (2225)

Joey Abs

Starting the process of recapping my 2225 and was wondering if there was a suggested brand of cap to replace the existing ones with? Most caps I have looked at are Elna brand which are available but I also noticed the cheapest on the website I looked at. Fearing you get what you pay for I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Thanks.

This is like asking for opinions on the best restaurant. Lots of different opinions. Just based on lots of reading, I use Nichicon PW series on power supplies and amp boards, and Nichicon KL series most other places -- although I will use PW anywhere if it's all I have. Others love Elna Silmic II's everywhere, and Panasonic FC are great in hot spots like power supplies. Lots of people use WIMA films (non-polar) for lower capacitances, like 3.3uF or less. Just search for some cap lists for your model and see what people are using.
Steve

There's also a variety of factors - form factor mainly. Meaning space available, lead spacing and cost.

I try to balance it out. I *think* my fav thing on the restaurant menu is a combo of film, wima film, and electrolytics. A few amps\pre's that I've stuff with film change the "sound signature" more than I'd like. So, some electrolytics are OK, in my book and keeps cost down, easy to fit, ect. YMMS.

I did a few recaps. I never used audio caps. There were no audio caps in 1970s :)
I measured all the vintage caps, after 40 years they had ESR like the best new general purpose caps. Audio caps have relatively high ESR and short lifespan, this puts me off. Most people advise not to use audio caps on power supply board.

I use Elna Silmic II pretty much everywhere, except where the caps get obviously too hot, in some of the higher power amps / receivers power supplies.
In the 2225 I would not hesitate to use them in the power supply board as well.
For the main filter caps I like Nichicon KG. (the KG series comes in three quality grades, I and II are called Gold Tune, the best ones, III, are called Super Through)
What's nice with both of these series is that they are pretty much the same size as the old originals.
And yes, I also usually replace the smallest (0.47uf, 1uf, 2.2uf... ) with films (wima mks2 or panasonic ECQ or ECW)

After a recap I find the sound much improved, quite obviously so. Sometimes the recapped unit seems too bright at first, but that usually changes after a few dozen hours of play.
Also, if you spend the hours necessary to build a parts list, make an order, do the work....it's worth puuting in very good parts. I'm not saying the most expensive boutique stuff you can find, but just top quality but "normal" parts from reputable providers. Ebay sellers apparently offer many many fake parts, knowingly or not. So better stick with known good sources... Partsconnexion, hificollective, mouser, digikey to name a few.
This is my personal first-hand experience. YMMV....

You might check with AKer Patfont as he has drop in kits for many Marantz receivers. It could save some ordering time. Ihave a 2225 and it's great after recap.

Back
Top Bottom