recapping sx-850 for my son

Wish I would have seen your post earlier. Already took it out to replace it.
No problem. Can you check the resistance from pin 14 to ground? Also since the transistor is out of the circuit, check to see if it is open from base to emitter. Is there a diode test on your meter?

Last edited:
When I take a reading on Q2 collector and anything on that trace It will flash -60 volts and quickly drop down to -OL.

B. -4.25
E. -3.52
C. -OL to -65 when I touch the lead to the collector it flashed -65 and dropped almost instantly to -OL

B. -4.25
E. -3.52
C. -OL to -65 when I touch the lead to the collector it flashed -65 and dropped almost instantly to -OL
I don't know what kind of meter you are using, but I assume OL means no reading? Leave the 850 powered up, check the voltage again on the collector of Q2, and when you see OL, check the voltage on the anode of D1 and tell me what that voltage is.

I'm getting -OL on both Q2 collector and on the cathode D1

I have a Fluke 87V
Does the meter read OL when you aren't testing anything? Oh and you need to check voltage at the ANODE of D1, NOT the cathode! The Cathode of D1 is connected to the power transformer secondary and has AC on it.

Last edited:
After going to Flukes website I made a change on my settings. Now at Q2 collector I'm getting -67.3 and it does not change.

base
Base should be 52 volts DC. There are two 1.5 k ohm resistors in series connected to the base and collector of Q2. Make sure they are not open. Also C20 could be shorted or leaking. you need to check this. Have you recapped the power supply?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom