recapping vs not recapping

sssboa

So I got myself another CR-1000 :)
Now I have 2!
The first one recapped. The new one all original.
The original sounds like the first one before recapping, i.e. it sounds better! :)
It has more hissing in the background but it sounds kind of wild, it's louder, bass may be even stronger, not loose. And it has that beautiful smell when hot that is evaporating electrolyte I guess :). It is how I felt when my CR-1000 came back after recapping but was not sure.
So the question is:
What the hell is going on? :)
The first Yammy was recapped with caps of the same capacitance, they are modern so are smaller, most of them Nichicon and Panasonic, but they also smuggled some "Elite" (Taiwanese brand).
I am still thinking about recapping the new one by myself. Does phisical size of caps matter at all beyond the esthetics? Some modern caps are like 5 times smaller than the vintage ones, especially the very low voltage ones like 6.3v 100uF.

Last edited:
Your first one has issues.
I don't know. As for the issues I signalled here before , they are all solved now. It just sounds mild, clean and mild.
The not recapped one sounds noisy (hiss) but has more oomph, maybe more distortion but more energy. I alredy checked its filter caps, just below 7000uF each.

Who did the work? Did they use low leakage caps where there should be those in the signal path? Any upgrades to films?

Lee.

Who did the work? Did they use low leakage caps where there should be those in the signal path? Any upgrades to films?

Lee.
Low Leakage? :) They just did the job a year ago, a repair shop. It's not that it sounds bad, it just kind of lost something, you know, the thing, the mojo :) They did not touch non-electrolityc caps.

If there were orange Elna caps in it originally, these would have been low leakage and should have been replaced with similar.

So I got myself another CR-1000 :)
Now I have 2!

you may or maynot be a good fixer, but your math skills are top notch and dont let anyone tell you different! ;-)

(oddly, I swear I heard you say those words in John Lovitz voice, think 'league of their own')

ok now for a real reply....are there any drivers in there getting noisy?

as for small caps and cap colors etc. someone recently asked me offboard about what caps to buy and I pointed out a reality: todays GP caps from mouser are superior in all ways to 'audio grade' caps of yesteryear. so pretty much anything you do, will not be a fail.

ok now for a real reply....are there any drivers in there getting noisy?

as for small caps and cap colors etc. someone recently asked me offboard about what caps to buy and I pointed out a reality: todays GP caps from mouser are superior in all ways to 'audio grade' caps of yesteryear. so pretty much anything you do, will not be a fail.
This is actually what I think, caps are caps, no magic to them.
Not sure what u mean by drivers but nothing is noisy :)
It's like I sent them 1970 Ford Mustang, they sent me back Toyota Supra.

Last edited:
I see some "outhouse" C458's in there...tic tic tic tic......:biggrin:

Hi, this is a bit odd, l wouldn't expect the original unit to sound "better" than the recapped unit. On the units l have recapped they have all sounded better by varying degrees, by this l mean tighter more controlled bass, more defined mids and crisper highs for sure. One Pioneer l listened to pre recap, the mids were very recessed. I don't like to replace a decent size cap with a puny replacement, l think the larger replacements "generally" have better ESR and DCR specs, but maybe it is more in my head :crazy:.

Kinda looks like a mishmash of available parts on hand there in the PS.

I would replace all the PS caps with Nichicon PM/PW series.

BTW, Are so called "audio capacitors" ok for power supply board or are they maybe not durable enough in high temperatutes?

Kinda looks like a mishmash of available parts on hand there in the PS.

I would replace all the PS caps with Nichicon PM/PW series.
Yeah, but it's hard for me to believe that it's gonna make difference. I am going to recap the newly bought CR-1000 with a maticulous care about quality and matching of caps and see if I have a different result than they had.

I am going to use digi-key as they have much better selection, are they as reliable as mouser?
What bothers me is lifespan data. The most expensive audio caps have usually 1000hr@85C, the cheaper ones (audio and GP) are sometimes 2000hr@105C. Is it really quality vs durability?
I saw Elna audio caps, like 2 x the price of other audio caps, but not really an issue for me. They are large in size too, kind of like the vintage ones, but graded 1000hr@85C.
Is 85C enough for power supply or should I go 105C?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom