Receiver Collectors: Raise Your Hands!!!

Sansui 771 (2)
Sansui 6060
Pioneer sx3900
Pioneer sx7000
Pioneer sx550
Pioneer sx450
Pioneer sx440
Onkyo TX5000
Lafatette LR3500
Marantz 2220db
kenwood kr3200
Standard Radio Corp SR-A205SU

Chicago Tom, show us pictures of your Realistic STA- 65B, help me relive my youth! o_O:crazy::naughty::rflmao:

I'm sorry, actually I have an STA-65C, which looks totally different. I really like the looks of the "B" model, it's a Mid Century Modern design, which I am really into these days.

Wow. I like the brand diversity. Do you have an all-around favorite? I imagine it sort of depends on the context (speaker pairing, location, etc.).

tater415's reply is similar to my own. It's really hard to do a fair comparison, since I've listened to these in different environments via different speakers, turntables, CD players. Some are recapped, and some are all-original and probably not working at their peak to say the least. I can tell you I am a vinyl guy first and foremost, so of the phono stage isn't excellent, I would sell them. Here are my comments on all the ones I still own:

Fisher 201 – recapped PS – shockingly good. I guess I really dig early solid state!

HH Scott LR-88 - partly recapped, ugly as sin but sounds excellent

JVC JR S-301 – running this a lot these days and I’m damn impressed. Not as warm as others, but great detail and punch

Marantz 2015 - recapped by blaghstrom (Blaine), nice little all-arounder, fits great in my small office space

Onkyo TX-2500 – needs some work, but I can tell you another 2500 I owned, a Mk II, was one of my all-time favorites

Realistic STA-65B – surprisingly good despite its age, I’m sure it needs work. One of the best tuners out of all of my receivers

Realistic STA-111 – only used as a TV amp, which it works well for. Never listened to vinyl on it though

Sansui 2000X – partly recapped, used in my living room, I love the Sansui sound. I think Sansui may be my favorite brand.

Sanyo JCK-2300 – the real sleeper of the bunch. One of my favorites!

Sony STR-6055 – needs work, but I own a recapped TA-1130 which is, I think, the same amp and preamp as this unit. Meaning it will have an excellent phono stage and a nice, warm amp when working properly

Pioneer SX-828 – needs work so I cannot comment

Pioneer SX-440 – knocks my socks off! Again, needs work, but even as is this little unit sounds excellent

Sherwood S-7100A – in minty condition, excellent tuner. A lovely warm sound.

Sansui 800 – needs work. But I had one of these before and it blew my mind how good it was. Would be in my Top 3 if it worked properly.

Tandberg TR-2055, recapped by Bill (hirscwi) – just got this and am putting it through the paces, but I like it very much so far.

Out of all of these, and keep in mind my priority is phono and I usually listen via heaphones, I’d say my Top 3 would be the JVC JR S-301, Sansui 2000X, and Sanyo JCK-2300. And the Luxman R-1040 would have been in my Top 4 (maybe even #1 had I kept it), but I sold it for a recapped Luxman LS-450 amp.

Last edited:
Yes, more subjective observations from people that currently have vintage collections for comparison would be REALLY nice.
I think they are less bias than a person with one or two units. Detailed reviews might not be a realistic expectation. But when you have 20 or so units you know the winners from the losers.
A single line description for each unit can provide a lot of info. A reader knows how a collector communicates by the time they get to the end of the list and how to put it in perspective.
A reader can also ask for direct comparison between units within a collection. Who better to ask than the person that currently has them in hand?
I think these collections are an over looked resource.
If you're collecting it's not because your ashamed of them. You might as well tell us about them while running the list, your already there.

Yes, more subjective observations from people that currently have vintage collections for comparison would be REALLY nice.

Okay then! Here are my brief impressions of the receivers that I have sold. The fact that I sold them doesn't mean I didn't like them, maybe they had some issue that was a deal breaker for me (too big, crappy speaker connectors, etc.).

Formerly owned, now sold:

Advent 300 – recapped. Sounded GREAT w vinyl, Tried using as a preamp only, but the headphone output would not work when I did that, and I hated the crappy speaker connectors.

Denon DRA-25 – really cheaply made 80s BPC, but sounded better than expected

HH Scott 342-B – I would LOVE to have a restored example of this in better cosmetic condition than the one I owned. I hate the speakers connectors though. You need tiny spades for it and it is still a very tight fit.

Harman Kardon 330B – recapped. I actually preferred the sound BEFORE I recapped it! Warm, punchy tube sound before, but left me a bit cold after. Sometimes that happens with recapping, go figure.

Harman/Kardon 330c – recapped. I liked the amp portion a lot, but the phono wasn’t quite good enough for me

Luxman R-1040 – might have been my overall #1, sold it for a recapped Luxman integrated amp. Lush sound, tight bass, nice detail.

Marantz 2238 – THE prettiest receiver I’ve ever owned, but the phono stage wasn’t very good compared to the NAD I replaced it with while it was getting LEDs. Reluctantly sold it. It looked better than it sounded, but I’d love to hear one recapped someday.

Marantz 2230 – recapped. This had a MUCH better phono stage than the 2238. I’d love to own it’s big brother the 2270 someday. Great tube-like sound, lush is the word I like.

NAD 7020 – fantastic phono performance, I sold it to a friend after I got a recapped NAD 3020

Pioneer SX-424 – recapped. This one left me cold for some reason, maybe another example of recapping resulting in an inferior sound afterward.

Realistic STA-7 – needed work so I sold it.

Realistic STA-2200 – recapped. A GREAT amp (FET design), but it was huge and the phono pre wasn’t very good.

Rotel RX-403 – a really cheap unit from the 70s, it actually sounded pretty good, though far from my favorites.

Sansui 1000x – looked and sounded gorgeous, I love Sansui. Sold to some friends who were getting back into vinyl.

Sherwood S-7200 – recapped. I liked my non-recapped S-7100 better, this sounded dull to me.

Sherwood S-8800 – needed a lot of work, but I could tell I would have loved it. I traded it, but would love to own this again someday, if restored.

Sony STR-6050 – excellent phono, nice warm amp, strong tuner

Quadraflex 650R FET – great amp, not so great phono stage

Yamaha CR-820 – recapped. Sounded glorious with jazz when cranked up, but bass was too weak for rock music.

Harman/Kardon h/k 670 – very bloated bass, probably needed work. I now own an h/k 505 amp with I think is the same as this, and I *LOVE* it very much.

Onkyo TX-2500 Mk II – LOVED the sound from this, sold due to a speaker connector design that I did not like. Once I found speaker cables with smaller spades, it would have worked, but I did not know they existed when I owned this. I’ve since purchased the earlier non-Mk II version of this and like it VERY much, though it still needs some work.

Just came across this thread and added to my watch list. I’m looking for my next receiver and this will be perfect place for me to learn:thumbsup: I’ve been in the hobby for a little over a year and have a Luxman R-113 and a Sansui QR-4500. Overall, I prefer the Lux... to me it has more clarity top to bottom that I prefer. My early list of possibilities are: Technics SA 500, 600, and700, and the Kenwood Model 9 and 11. Look forward to reading and following this thread, seems to be a lot of good stuff here:thumbsup:

5DBD845E-BC26-48D1-8F4A-B87FC3C5058B.jpeg

Last edited:
Just came across this thread and added to my watch list. I’m looking for my next receiver and this will be perfect place for me to learn:thumbsup: I’ve been in the hobby for a little over a year and have a Luxman R-113 and a Sansui QR-4500. Overall, I prefer the Lux... to me it has more clarity top to bottom that I prefer. My early list of possibilities are: Technics SA 500, 600, and700, and the Kenwood Model 9 and 11. Look forward to reading and following this thread, seems to be a lot of good stuff here:thumbsup:

View attachment 1178834
So many units, so little time.

I guess I would be considered a collector as I own the following:
Pioneer:
SX-636
SX-838
SX-450
SX-550
SX-650
SX-750
SX-850
SX-950
SX-1050
SX-1250
SX-680
SX-780
SX-3700
Sansui:
Kenwood:
KR-7050
Scott:
385R
They all work and I do rotate most of them throughout my four listening areas in my home.

Last edited:
I have only slowed down “acquiring” within about this last two years and pass stuff on Very Easily now! (My sickness has spread to other family members and friends though!)
Son and I are setting up a repair space to fix stuff, have others fix the best (that’s over our heads), and blow out the rest that sucks at our soul. However? I do feel blessed that I “acquired” before this present value spike, will love and appreciate what I’m keeping and way past caring about something being “better” because.....good gear is good gear and once tuned up? Most share aspects STRONGLY to a quality sound. (A bottom line truth that is fact.)

Keeping:
Sansui: G-9000, G-6000, 9090db, 2000, QRX-7500.
MCS: 3125, 3275: Most grossly underrated receivers I own.....NEC did something special here (and find them ABSOLUTELY beautiful because of that).
Pioneer Spec Stack, SX-850
Onkyo TX-8500, TX-6500 MKII
Nikko Stack
Luxman 1125a

Happy with where I sit in vintage. You are sitting good and spend that time.....that’s where it’s at. (Basic truth!) Telling You... balancing you system is where it’s at and to all else?

BS......enjoy!

At one point about a year ago I had over 15. All restored.

This was just my bedroom. :thumbsup:

Needs a 2130 to go with the 3250. :naughty:

index.php

I have only slowed down “acquiring” within about this last two years and pass stuff on Very Easily now! (My sickness has spread to other family members and friends though!)
Son and I are setting up a repair space to fix stuff, have others fix the best (that’s over our heads), and blow out the rest that sucks at our soul. However? I do feel blessed that I “acquired” before this present value spike, will love and appreciate what I’m keeping and way past caring about something being “better” because.....good gear is good gear and once tuned up? Most share aspects STRONGLY to a quality sound. (A bottom line truth that is fact.)

Keeping:
Sansui: G-9000, G-6000, 9090db, 2000, QRX-7500.
MCS: 3125, 3275: Most grossly underrated receivers I own.....NEC did something special here (and find them ABSOLUTELY beautiful because of that).
Pioneer Spec Stack, SX-850
Onkyo TX-8500, TX-6500 MKII
Nikko Stack
Luxman 1125a

Hey BD. I've had my MCS 3125 for about a year now and no pre-power combo pushing 100W has yet to best it. I recently acquired a Luxman R-1120 and am still cleaning it up but all indications are it's working up to specs. I'm wondering what your thoughts are comparing the two.

Pioneer sx-1250, sx-737,sx-3700
Marantz 2325, 2245
Kenwood Model Eleven,kr-6400
Sony str-V5, str-7055
Sansui g-4700, 5000x
Yamaha cr-2040

Last edited:
Kenwood TK-66
Kenwood KR-4200
Kenwood KR-9600
Sansui 881
Sansui G-9700
Marantz 2238b
Carver 900
HK-730

Last edited:
Hey BD. I've had my MCS 3125 for about a year now and no pre-power combo pushing 100W has yet to best it. I recently acquired a Luxman R-1120 and am still cleaning it up but all indications are it's working up to specs. I'm wondering what your thoughts are comparing the two.

Back
Top Bottom