Receiver Collectors: Raise Your Hands!!!

Comparing them is real straight forward for me but first I have to say spending time with each hasn't happened in a while because of busy!
The top Luxman sound has that smooth conditioned sound that stays forceful with kind of a sparkle in the highs where the MCS/NEC 3125 has a gutsy and breathless "raw" to it. (Same exact sound as the lower wattage 3275.)
In the end? Most analog has a similar sound (amongst most of it) that gets easily realized when swiching from nicer modern digital. Still? These two really shine after spending time with decent source and great speaks.
(My best friend....a man of few words/compliments, busts out with only praise on these two.....especially with the MCS 3125/3275 family of sound.)

Truly? With so much vintage having a good sound, top Luxman and MCS/NEC do a great job of "standing out" in how they do what well. Let me know what you think on that Luxman!!!

I always hesitate and never reply to this thread as I am sure I once did when I joined, but its been years since I fixed and dispersed my 'judas collection' (100 pieces of silver...get it?) today, being more reasonable, here is my list:

Pioneer SX890 (daily driver office new house)
Yamaha something or another ARC enabled for the TV (living room new house)
Pioneer SX850 - not in use (uncle gifted it, will never sell)
Pioneer SX3800 - not in use (might sell)
Pioneer SX3900 - pledged for mancave under construction (who wants to help tape drywall later today?)
Pioneer VSXD602S - daily driver LR old house
Pioneer VSXD602S - bedroom unit old house

many others I like, but those are going 'under the soldering pencil' for sale in the store(s)

Old thread, I know, but new to me. Kinda like the equipment I have acquired in the last year. My list is not that long, and likely not gonna get much longer, as I have been getting serious stink-eye from the wife when she enters my main listening area.:D
Yamaha AVR (neither know nor care what model). Hooked to the tv because I can't figure out how to make one of my old ones mate up.
Luxman R-3030. My favorite.
HK 930. Needs a little work, but until recently, a close 2nd.
Sherwood:
S8800
S-7225B
S7200. Needs repair.
S-7450 The $15 one that started my illness. Packed away right now, but surprisingly good sounding.
Would love to get more Luxman gear, but I doubt I will find another fully working piece for $79. Can't be that lucky twice, can I?
Thought I would update the list, as I have added a couple.
Pioneer SX-1000TW. New favorite. Mates well with my KLH 17s.
Allied 399.
Advent 300.
Sansui 5000A
Sansui 551

I think I need an intervention. LOL

Last edited:
just got my fourth working unit last night, a Technics SA-600.

others:
Nikko STA-2020
Pioneer SX-3700
Sherwood S-7100A

Also a Pioneer SA-5200/TX-6200 pair, they're really cute together.

And a bunch on the workbench

Some times a thread lives on for eternity it seems. It's refreshing that guys (and gals) still know the classic gear of the golden era was in a class of its own.
I have quite a bit of the same and although I have thru the years bought some new equipment 90s,2000,2015. I however seldom use any of that gear with the TV home theatre being the only exception. My daily use of choice is all built before 1975I will give a list of what's in the gear that rotates in and out.
Kenwood KR-9600
Kenwood KR-8010 I bought the 8010 new in 1977.
Kenwood KR-4200
Kenwood kt-66
Sansui 2000x
Sansui 881
Sansui G-9700
Pioneer SX-580
Carver 900 I have 2
H.K. 730
H.K 330 Nocturne
I have had many others how ever that have came and went along the line however as they were what allowed me to have what I do.
If this was a thread asking what amps that list is short. Only 2

But old also fitting in with the listener whom is certain all the above will carry on long after I
Regards , Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left "
Main daily =
Dynaco 410,
pat-5 preamp,
Dual 1219
marantz cc45
JVC TD-R441
Klipsch Cornwall 1968
Polk monitor 10 series 2
(For newer tecno music)
1532653654284129195452.jpg this to me anyway is the best purchase I ever made. All the good stuff in a basic straight forward simple incredible package!

Some times a thread lives on for eternity it seems. It's refreshing that guys (and gals) still know the classic gear of the golden era was in a class of its own.
I have quite a bit of the same and although I have thru the years bought some new equipment 90s,2000,2015. I however seldom use any of that gear with the TV home theatre being the only exception. My daily use of choice is all built before 1975I will give a list of what's in the gear that rotates in and out.
Kenwood KR-9600
Kenwood KR-8010 I bought the 8010 new in 1977.
Kenwood KR-4200
Kenwood kt-66
Sansui 2000x
Sansui 881
Sansui G-9700
Pioneer SX-580
Carver 900 I have 2
H.K. 730
H.K 330 Nocturne
I have had many others how ever that have came and went along the line however as they were what allowed me to have what I do.
If this was a thread asking what amps that list is short. Only 2

But old also fitting in with the listener whom is certain all the above will carry on long after I
Regards , Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left "
Main daily =
Dynaco 410,
pat-5 preamp,
Dual 1219
marantz cc45
JVC TD-R441
Klipsch Cornwall 1968
Polk monitor 10 series 2
(For newer tecno music)
View attachment 1244614 this to me anyway is the best purchase I ever made. All the good stuff in a basic straight forward simple incredible package!

HI Nemo, Just unretired from quality audio after 45 years of 6(six) daughters and their expansion of my musical listening experience.
Navy sub sonar tech early 60's, We all had mix and match kinds of systems,(would sit and argue spec's and diff amp configurations like we were all Nelson Pass) but poor newly wed seaman, ( air force brat of of 19) mine was on a dime.
I believe, garrard sl95 with shure quad pickup:naughty:, New Lafayette Quad receiver ?;), Nova 7's ?, Optimus 5 :music::smoke::rockon: when not underwater after 3 months,
the wife, and tunes sure looked, and sounded fine.Now 67, wife still looks fine, hearings gone above 13kHz, but I can feel the base. so I don't waste $$ on hi end,
now just having fun with wife and my old equipment :naughty:. Latest score Realistic STA-90, 9.5/10, $14.99. Goodwill :rflmao:.Will restore and pass on to new,
younger breed of "audiophile".$$$. Thanks for letting me remember those younger days.

Pigboat

Thought I would update my earlier post. Had mySherwood S-7200 sitting around waiting to be worked on. I had de-oxed the crap out of it(except that pesky Power/Volume switch), and still had an issue with one channel. Sat for several months, and for some reason I decided to plug it in and hook up a pair of crappy old speakers. Voila! Some kind of Vintage Gear Miracle. No problems anymore! Now my favorite. Will be selling off a couple, as 9 is apparently the magic number to initiate the dreaded Irritated Wife Factor.:rolleyes:

Not sure how many you have to have to be considered a collector, but I have;

Technics SA-700
Marantz 2270 (from the original owner who bought it new in 1974)
Two) Mitsubishi DA-R35's
Sony STR-V45
Sony STR-V35

I’ll keep my post short and sweet like this thread:

HK 330C
Marantz 2235 (non b)
Pioneer sx-1500td
Pioneer sx-727
(2)Pioneer sx-828
Pioneer sx-1250

Will up date and keep it simple. If I did everyone I would run out of space. Here is my current list.

Marantz 4270, got me hooked on Marantz after being married to Pioneer. It was free! She cleaned up nicely!
Marantz 2270, soon to join the ranks after a top to ground rebuild!
Macintosh 1700 receiver, got because it is a hybrid.
Fisher 304 Quad in shop. This low end receiver is a sleeper. Put in shop as my test receiver. Great sound, to bad the FM is gone. Have a Visonic tuner hooked through aux.

Trouble is I have room for three systems plus the Mrs’ Fisher that is wired through her bedroom,work room dining room and office. It’s a toss up whether to keep the Mac or put the Marantz 2270 in its place? Have to admit the Mac was an impulse buy.

Hi Call me Pigboat;
Did you ever get that Realistic STA-90?
JUST found one at goodwill.
9 (maybe 9.5)/10 crud but cleanable, 1 center bulb out on display
$14.99:banana::beerchug::rockon:

What can I say :rflmao:

Thanks Pigboat ssbn659g sts/ss nuke
No. I got a ST120b. All metal, no plastic. Sounds great, power a plenty. Very happy.

Was not my intention, but seems I am heading that way...

Technics SA-200
Sansui 3000A
Allied 395 (just yesterday!)

I've lost track of all that came through here but at present;
KLH 52
Sony STR 6055
Sansui 2000X
Kenwood KR7400
Harmon Kardon 930
Nikko NR700 (year ?)
Pioneer SX6 (year ?)

Back