Receiver recommendation

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by kylerhea, Jan 8, 2019.

1. kylerhea

kylerhea New Member

Hi Sansui experts,

I am considering to buy a Sansui receiver up to 900-1000$ with the highest possible sound quality (especially important is the phono amp). Preferred music is classic rock. I am able to do some basic restoration steps.

So my simple question is:

which affordable receiver would you consider to be as close in sound quality as possible to the best integrated amps such as a AU-9900, AU-X1, AU-D11 etc.?
    Would you recommend a G series, an 8080db over a non db version or ?

Thanks,

Marc

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

3. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Well-Known Member

The 8080DB or 9090DB are both very nice receivers, but I'd probably not class them as having an exceptional phono stage, just decent. For that matter, how good they sound overall is a matter of some debate. I like the sound of that series a lot, but will point out many would give the nod to the G series as being better.

On specs alone, the G models are better on paper and they do sound great, but different from the x0x0DB models. Really, it is a highly subjective matter and you'll probably find die hard fans of both chiming in here.

Now, whether you'll find either a x0x0DB or a G-8000/9000 in the price range you are looking for is the big question. Both series are fetching serious money now, and it may be a challenge to find at least the 9090DB or G-9000 for at or under your max budget. The 8080DB and G-8000 probably can be, though maybe not in a fully restored state, which is almost certain to be needed for best performance given their age. So, set aside some funds for recapping and such.

If you aren't adversed to going older, the Eight or Eight Deluxe may be worth consideration. They are of a less advanced amplifier design but do sound very nice and the Eight especially is built better than almost anything else Sansui made. I can't say a whole lot on the phono capabilities on these two, as I haven't spent a lot of time with them, but my initial impressions in casual listening were favorable.

4. tnsilver

tnsilver AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know a Sui receiver with a good phono pre-amp. They're OK relatively to contemporary receivers but nothing to write home about. Luxman high "L" series integrated amps had superb phono pre-amps. Sansui, meh... It's not why people buy them anyway.

Hipocrates and Hyperion like this.
  5. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

If the requirement is for a particularly good Phono section, Sansui receivers are not known for having particularly good ones as Tom says. Might as well buy an 'integrated' of some description, like a Luxman as Tom suggests, or a Sansui like an AU-919 or an AU-X1, but anything you buy, even a receiver, if not done already, will require reconditioning to give its best. Your indicated budget might allow you to get something nice and have it reconditioned - good luck with your search. ;)

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Moderator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

G 8000

7. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

G22000 has an excellent phono-pre-amp.

8. craggd

craggd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not for $900-1,000 :)

9. kylerhea

kylerhea New Member

Thank you for the input.

I could get an AU-890 locally for 800 Euros (as well as an AU-9900..., so a tough choice having the option to use a separate tuner) but will also check for a G series model. Unfortunately they are quite rare where I live (Germany).

10. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Well-Known Member

Being in Germany does rather change the scenario inasmuch as the availability of some models. Between scarcity, and increased costs if purchasing internationally (exchange rates, shipping, duties, taxes, etc.) you may be challenged to find a unit that meets your desired specifications in the price range indicated. Considering what is available only within Germany for purchase would, of neccessity, limit your choices. Of course, doing so also yields you the best chance of keeping the cost down.

Further, if purchasing a model from elsewhere, it will need either to be capable of input voltage conversion, or will need a step up or step down transformer if it has a fixed input that isn't 220V. US and Canadian models are more plentiful as they were the biggest market for receivers at the time, but are all fixed 120V input by UL and CSA requirements.

Voltage convertible models sold internationally (frequently in US military exchanges, and thus many of such units are found in the USA now) are available, but in smaller numbers. There were units originally made for sale in Germany that would be preset for the voltage and safety/regulatory requirements there, but I have no good assessment of how common they are, especially 40 plus years on. Receivers appear to have had some popularity in Germany, but whether or not Sansui sold many there is unknown to me.

Given all that, you may do better to find an integrated amp as already suggested, and grab a matching tuner if radio reception isimportant. As stated upthread, Sansui receivers weren't really known for having exceptional phono preamp stages, and only some of the later integrated amps and preamps (1978 onward) were truly advanced in that regard. An outboard phono preamp is always an option, used with a conventional line level input on any good receiver or amp.

Good luck in your search.

Hyperion likes this.
  11. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

A great deal of attention was paid to the phono capabilities of the AU-919 and especially the AU-X1, they are real vinyl listeners amplifiers in my opinion. But of course there are other integrated amplifier or receiver choices within your budget which will give you similar pleasure, especially when you consider an outboard phono preamp, as stated above.

12. stereofun

stereofun AK Subscriber Subscriber

Like they say, a good bet is to buy a 21st century phono preamp, then you don't necessarily have to spent as much on the receiver. Depending on power requirements - you might look toward some of the lesser stars of the show and still come out with very good sound quality, while leaving you cash left over for the "must have" restoration. I would certainly look at a Seven or even Six, with build quality at the very top! (tone controls are individual resistors vs cheap carbon pots for instance) - Sonicly speaking they give up very little to their revered big brother Eight/Deluxe - two models that frequently comes up as some of the best in the receiver department, certainly within their medium power range.