Receivers

buckeye56

Looks like I need a new receiver.

Any thoughts on this model? It's $149 on Amazon. I just want one that has a phono jack and that I can hook up a CD player to, or possibly my MacBook pro, as well. I couldn't even connect my DVD/CD player to my current/old Technics receiver as the DVD plug didn't fit to the back.

I saw that there is a newer version of the Onkyo for $199 that comes with bluetooth. I don't need that and I don't know if there are any other differences between the 2 models.

Onkyo TX-8020 2 channel Stereo Receiver

Does your DVD/CD player only output HDMI or what? All the ones I've had were RCA out and you could connect to any receiver with an RCA line level input.

Anyway...as to the 8020, it sounds familiar, have you searched AK for the model #? Might be some discussions.

I couldn't even connect my DVD/CD player to my current/old Technics receiver as the DVD plug didn't fit to the back.
Does this mean that you did not have enough RCA inputs on your old receiver? Not sure what you mean that "the DVD plug didn't fit to the back".

Many blueray players don't have analog RCA connections, only HDMI or digital coax. If this is the case, you need something more than the TX-8020.

Edit: that receiver seems well reviewed on Amazon, Crutchfield, B&H, Best Buy...

Alan

Apologies for the big pictures!
dvd player.jpg

This is the back of my old DVD player, above, not hooked to anything.

My other DVD player, hooked up to TV and cable.
new dvd.jpg dvd player.jpg dvd player.jpg

My receiver
receiver1.jpg

receiver2.jpg
So I wanted to connect 1 of my DVD players to my receiver so I could listen to music with my speakers. Maybe I was connecting things incorrectly.
As for the Onkyo, would I be able to connect 1 of these DVD players to it?

There are a couple of things you can do without a new receiver. First, you can unhook the DVD Audio Out from the TV and hook to the AUX on your receiver; you can only hear a DVD through the receiver as there is no sound to your TV.

Second, if your TV has RCA or 1/8 mini-plug Audio Out, you can hook that to your AUX inputs on the receiver. Should do the trick.

Or, you can buy one of these Fiio D3 analog to digital converters and use a coax cable (RCA) from the DVD coaxial connection to the D3, then use RCAs to hook the D3 to the AUX on the receiver.

If you just want to buy a new receiver, all these options remain. Also, while you may not want the Bluetooth, the TX-8220 gets you two digital connections - coax and optical. This would allow you to go directly from the DVD coax out to the coax input on the receiver.

Alan

Do not connect the DVD audio outputs to the phono inputs. It will be distorted. The phono input is for magnetic cartridge turntables only. The analog left & right out jacks are the stereo line out signal you would connect to AUX or TAPE IN (playback).

It looks like a good, unassuming unit. Onkyo's receivers are very good IMO. Shop around, as there are at least a couple of brands you could get at that price that may also provide for a turntable.

Back
Top Bottom