Recent activity in this forum...

A tube preamp and few different pair of speakers and amps can keep a tweaker very busy. :yes:

It is even worse if the speakers are power hungry and you are swapping amps. Those things aren't light and those true high end brands today like to pallet ship the amps cause they tilt the scales well over 100 pounds. I'm not there and appreciate the handles on some of the gear I have.

I hear that. I love that my Thresholds have hard rubber feet on the rear panel so you can set them down faceplate up/handles up when not in use. Nelson had a clue about more than just circuit design! My Aragon 8008 was such a bitch to move...no handles. Hated that.

My speaker collection would probably be hard to be outdone here on AK, but my gear might be deemed mundane all of which may not be considered cutting edge today.
I haven't visited an audio boutique in 30 years so I can't in all honesty comment on things cutting edge.

Great thread, folks!

As Bill said, this whole area is being reconsidered, and hopefully enlarged and broadened.

Moderation will be what's needed to keep the growth going. If we have to be strict, we will be, but we'd prefer to be less intrusive.

My speaker collection would probably be hard to be outdone here on AK, but my gear might be deemed mundane all of which may not be considered cutting edge today.
I haven't visited an audio boutique in 30 years so I can't in all honesty comment on things cutting edge.

Comment are comment/partisapation and has nothing to with owning. As far as I know, nobody on this site is requiered to own anything to partisapate.

Cutting Edge really doesn't matter what decade gear came from it's the mixing and building of the system as a whole that becomes cutting edge. My system spans decades and I try to make it all quality from that time.

My newest peices are MC275 Mk VI who knew that would be cutting edge again. Then we go and stream off computer to our systems, tubes at that. Tosse in a turntable and rip the record to digital and stream it back to the system.

Who does this stuff? the guys that build systems for their needs and stay on top the cutting edge of HiFi.

Comment are comment/partisapation and has nothing to with owning. As far as I know, nobody on this site is requiered to own anything to partisapate.

Cutting Edge really doesn't matter what decade gear came from it's the mixing and building of the system as a whole that becomes cutting edge. My system spans decades and I try to make it all quality from that time.

My newest peices are MC275 Mk VI who knew that would be cutting edge again. Then we go and stream off computer to our systems, tubes at that. Tosse in a turntable and rip the record to digital and stream it back to the system.

Who does this stuff? the guys that build systems for their needs and stay on top the cutting edge of HiFi.

Well said.

I hear that. I love that my Thresholds have hard rubber feet on the rear panel so you can set them down faceplate up/handles up when not in use. Nelson had a clue about more than just circuit design! My Aragon 8008 was such a bitch to move...no handles. Hated that.

As I have gotten older, it now takes two of us to carry the ARC D160 to the car when she has to go to the 'doctor'. ;) :)

Harumph...harumph..... ;) :)

Who would have thought that ANYTHING with tubes would ever be Cutting Edge again?

Mac 275s? SETs?

It's a brave new world..... :)

TJ, the fact that folks have budgets is not a reason to be on the 'ended search' wagon, it just takes a while. Both you and Mark have markedly upgraded your systems, based on hearing Mark's rig and reading your discussions of the new components. Both done with family budgets a major concern.

Some need to sell gear to buy gear.

oh, all valid points, to be sure. My comment about myself is based on my own nature. Frankly, if I wished it to be so, I have essentially zero budget restraints. My priorities tend to be more on appreciation of the time I actually get to kick back and listen, and I view myself as somewhat more easily 'satisfied' than some others. I still find this forum great to read in order to learn,and as you note with myself and Mark, the search always continues to tinker around with stuff.

Can you please explain SET amp to me?
Single Ended Triode. Usually 2A3, 300B or 845 based.

No phase splitter. Single tube handles the output. Have to butt-stack and airgap the OPT to prevent saturation. Low IM distortion but higher levels of lower order harmonic distortion.

Horribly inefficient technology invented early in the 20th century but they sure sound good to me. [emoji4]

Definitely not everyones cup of tea and tends to arouse great passion for and against.

Last edited:
Single Ended Triode. Usually 2A3, 300B or 845 based.

No phase splitter. Single tube handles the output. Have to butt-stack and airgap the OPT to prevent saturation. Low IM distortion but higher levels of lower order harmonic distortion.

Horribly inefficient technology invented early in the 20th century but they sure sound good to me. [emoji4]

Definitely not everyones cup of tea and tends to arouse great passion for and against.

Thanks that helped.:thmbsp:

Yeah, good SETs are 'cutting edge' in sonic performance only (IMO) but damn, do they deliver in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom