Recent vintage audio addict

Shark Bait

Hello, my name is Ben and I recently became addicted to vintage receivers. It all started a year ago when I was looking for a good way to play music in my store. I looked at commercial music systems with high price tags, installation technicians, and mediocre sound. Then a friend told me about a local vintage audio store. I picked up a refurbished pioneer SX434 and four new Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers. I have not been the same since.

I now have four '70s era receivers and a small pile of speakers. I am going to try and answer that most famous of rookie audio questions, "What stuff is good." The receivers are all from various thrift stores and garage sales and in various states of repair. I am going to see if I can work on them. When I come close to destroying them, I will take them down to the professionals and see if they can salvage my hack jobs.

My hope is to end up with a good working receiver from three or four of the famous brands and compare them. I am also collecting a few sets of matching speakers so that I can get a really good feel of what sounds good with what, at least to my ears.

Thanks in advance from a rookie turned addict. Hopefully, at some point I can turn into someone that provides a good answer or two instead of just asking a million questions.

Welcome, the rabbit hole you have fallen into is long and winding. There are many good receivers, speakers and media devices. Define what you want to hear, what types of music. Is this for your home? What size is the room, more power is always better, speakers, you should try and listen to then. List your location, maybe some members will let you listen. Join AK, Bartertown has great equipment from our members.
Enjoy the Music!

SharkBait,
You really can successfully work on your receivers.
Read everything you can on this forum. Ask for help.
Take your time and be rigorously methodical.

Hey! If I can do this so can you.
In my limited experience, refurbishing most equipment is a matter of carefully performing a set of simple tasks over and over again, and checking your work periodically along the way to assure that you catch mistakes quickly.

Don't worry about brand names.

I think the SX-434 is well thought of by many.
Personally, I like lower-midrange receivers.

Post a list of what you have and seek advice.

Assemble a dim bulb tester before doing anything to your questionable equipment.

Take your time. Have fun.

Welcome.

Yep, the Vint Bug done bit ya.

Doing the right things as you attempt to ease the "addiction" of this electronic critter.

Q

Thanks for all the welcomes! I have not yet decided if I am going to attempt to learn to solder. That seems like a hobby in and of itself. Time will tell. I just bought a Kenwood KR6600 that I am going thoroughly clean and see if I can get rid of the crackling. Where is the right place to post a thread about documenting this journey?

Hi Ben Welcome to AK from Germany
As you like vintage receivers, maybe you like this one too.

20170808_171138.jpg

Volker

Sounds good with an amazing MM phono stage and an overall building quality, you will not find today anymore.

Greetings to ya! You have already received some good advice. Let me add that you should get a decent soldering iron with tips and practice. And do build a dim bulb tester, bulb in a cage, GFCI on your work area power.

Back
Top Bottom