reception on an antenna-less Yamaha R90 receiver

B. Burke

Hello. I just purchased a used Yamaha R90 receiver used, that doesn't have an fm or am antenna. My question is, should I be able to pick up any stations at all in this current state? Thank you.

No.

A length of wire should suffice if there are strong stations in your area. Search for DIY FM attennas.

It depends on the station, and the tuner.

Where i am, i can reliably pick up 2 strong stations with no antenna attached on all but one tuner i've tried. But thats a horrible way to test a tuner.

Simple dipole - take a length of speaker wire (6-8') and separate 28 1/2" of the two wires on one end. hook the other end to your antenna inputs. mount it up like a T and voila. Nice 300ohm cable works better, but standard 18ga speaker wire works just fine, and will give you a much better idea of what that tuner can do.

It depends on the station, and the tuner.

Where i am, i can reliably pick up 2 strong stations with no antenna attached on all but one tuner i've tried. But thats a horrible way to test a tuner.

Simple dipole - take a length of speaker wire (6-8') and separate 28 1/2" of the two wires on one end. hook the other end to your antenna inputs. mount it up like a T and voila. Nice 300ohm cable works better, but standard 18ga speaker wire works just fine, and will give you a much better idea of what that tuner can do.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom