Recoloring guitar body with transparent color paint??

Binkman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been looking at my tele project (for sale) And not getting any bites? So maybe it's the color or hue or market saturation? Just got a black genuine Fender pick guard and fit is perfect! (was really surprised w/ no gaps) The clear coat is very very good.. so just some thoughts/ opinions needed. I certainly could paint it with little effort and cost. Leave the neck as is. I'll try to get to putting the guard on this weekend and post a pic.
thanks
jeff

sRY0Aj9.jpg

Rosewood board with a black guard will look much richer with less stark contrast than the white maple neck. I grew up with traditional stuff though, and the no guard looks unfinished.

Don't see any strap buttons?

Thanks 's55
Got the guard. Just have to mount. and the buttons, too. I was actually surprised how accurate all the 5 vendors parts fit close tolerance. I nailed the neck pup mounting dead on and the switch plate, too. Using the guard purchased later!! I have another kit so I'll a buy a guard to assure ease of placement as a gauge.

The solid maple neck? vrs a fret board.. and the swamp ash body.. has a lot to do with tone. Aside from it's white appearance. I'm no color expert.. but why pay extra for stain? Actually I do believe the in both w/w/o fret board.. but there's a lot of fake fret boards that look like rosewood. I can still tint the neck.

I'm going to use a little tape to keep the new guard in place and post a pick later.

this better?? pic 1 is my crappy photography orig. and #2 is messing with darkness.
upload_2018-11-17_12-36-46.png

upload_2018-11-17_12-37-51.png

could play with the red... but ya get the idea..

The Squier butterscotch blonde model is really popular, very well made for its price point. It’s hard to compete with that. Maybe put it on consignment?

I like the color as-is and the black pickguard finishes it off.The maple fretboard is traditional for a "Blackguard" Tele but maybe you could tint it and the neck to look aged?

This is my Squier Classic Vibe 50s.
003.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions. I have another kit and 2 necks. one 22fret from china from canada lol.. sent to china to finish.. go figure.. it is tinted as suggested. but thats another day.

Stores don't take consignments here as it competes with the crap they have on display.
price range? like this? my asking is five,fifty..bottom line. (they screw you for shipping even over 100.
upload_2018-11-18_12-35-43.png

The problem is that you're competing with some pretty nice new Teles. Although the Classic Vibe is a Squier it's a pretty nice axe for $399. And a new Fender Standard made in Mexico Tele is only $499-$599.

Last edited:
It's not really that important to sell it? I like playing it! I have had about 12-15 good replies and bout 3 negs. and these were probably people who get kicks rattling peoples chains critical of everything. I'm sure any of you member players would really find it pretty damned good. I find myself improving on it each time I play it.

but you're right Louis; Shops I've been to 2 years ago still have a lot of the same stock on hand. Market is really saturated.

bink.

Back
Top Bottom