recommendation for CD player w/ built-in DAC

David W K

I am looking for a CD player w/ built-in DAC for my Kenwood KT-907 integrated amplifier. Prefer brushed aluminum finish to match my existing vintage gear. Trying not to spend all the grocery money.

All CD players have a DAC. At least, if it has RCA analog output jacks. Or are you looking for a CD player, that also has digital inputs? There are players with digital inputs, but they aren't cheap. Pricing starts at around $500 for Marantz and NAD players, with USB inputs. Silver face and digital inputs, never-mind. A Yamaha CD-S2100 goes for $2999.

It seems to me you'd be better off with a decent CD player. Then, when you feel the need to upgrade, add a standalone DAC.

'Luck.

I see you created a thread a few weeks back about how to hook up a CD player and if you needed a DAC.

That was answered and you even "liked" the answer all though you never replied back to your own thread.

A CD player has a DAC inside. Any line-level pair of RCA input jacks on the receiver (Aux, Tuner, Tape) will work for the connection.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-player-to-vintage-kenwood-components.857094/

You might find this article useful

https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-do-cd-players-work/

I like my Sonys, all of these originally sold for $1000 or more, all purchased on eBay for $80 or less.

Have two of these, both are black, still looking for one in silver that isn't $300 and in Russia lol
Sony DVP NS900V
sony900v.gif

Have one of these in silver
Sony DVP NS999ES
x158dvp999s-f_LD.jpeg
20180904_184826.jpg
20180904_184657.jpg

Have one of these in silver, paid $63 needed belts, another $12 and it works like new. The belts are easy to install, couple of screws remove the cover and there they are.
Sony DVP CX777ES
x158DVPX777-f.jpeg
20181028_164303.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking for a CD player w/ built-in DAC for my Kenwood KT-907 integrated amplifier. Prefer brushed aluminum finish to match my existing vintage gear. Trying not to spend all the grocery money.

Denon DVD 5900

Superior SQ... for not so much $$

64AA2D9F-1CAF-49ED-8ED6-E8C484E1027E.jpeg

It’s quite the massive player, a used one in good cond. runs $2-300. SACD and DVD-A google the DAC in the unit...

Good luck with it. :)

I like my Sonys, all of these originally sold for $1000 or more, all purchased on eBay for $80 or less.

Have two of these, both are black, still looking for one in silver that isn't $300 and in Russia lol
Sony DVP NS900V
View attachment 1429084

Have one of these in silver
Sony DVP NS999ES
View attachment 1429085
View attachment 1429109
View attachment 1429110

Have one of these in silver, paid $63 needed belts, another $12 and it works like new. The belts are easy to install, couple of screws remove the cover and there they are.
Sony DVP CX777ES
View attachment 1429087
View attachment 1429102

Agreed, Sony players are of the best!

The OP seems to be struggling with the notion of a DAC.

All CD players have a digital to audio converter (DAC) built into them. It is fundamental to their function, which is to read and then convert digital information (from the CD) into an analog waveform. And, they all have analog outputs (right and left). These are the same as the outputs from a tape player or tuner, and can be plugged into any analog input on your integrated amp (which, by the way, is a KA-907...not KT-907), other than Phono 1 or Phono 2. Specifically, a CD player can be plugged into AUX, TAPE IN, or TUNER jacks.

Note also that you can use a DVD player or Bluray player as a CD player.

If your confusion is due to the existence of standalone DAC units; these provide the conversion function only. They do not read any media. Rather, they simply take digital audio input (from, for example, music files streamed thru or stored on a PC) and convert them to analog, so that they can then be played through your analog music system.

You can use an external DAC with a CD player, if and only if the CD player offers the option of digital output...by which it bypasses its own DAC and outputs the digital information it has pulled from the CD so that it can processed elsewhere. Generally, only higher end CD players offer this option. This arrangement offers the ability to use a higher quality DAC than the one in the CD player. The digital output from the CD player would go to the external DAC unit, where it would be converted to analog. An external DAC, therefore, has a digital INPUT and analog OUTPUTS. There are differences in the sound of various DAC designs; an external DAC allows the user to choose a different DAC than the one built into their CD player (or computer, or DVD player, etc).

It would be great if you would follow up on threads you have already posted if you have additional questions or confusion.

The OP seems to be struggling with the notion of a DAC.

All CD players have a digital to audio converter (DAC) built into them. It is fundamental to their function, which is to read and then convert digital information (from the CD) into an analog waveform. And, they all have analog outputs (right and left). These are the same as the outputs from a tape player or tuner, and can be plugged into any analog input on your integrated amp (which, by the way, is a KA-907...not KT-907), other than Phono 1 or Phono 2. Specifically, a CD player can be plugged into AUX, TAPE IN, or TUNER jacks.

Note also that you can use a DVD player or Bluray player as a CD player.

If your confusion is due to the existence of standalone DAC units; these provide the conversion function only. They do not read any media. Rather, they simply take digital audio input (from, for example, music files streamed thru or stored on a PC) and convert them to analog, so that they can then be played through your analog music system.

You can use an external DAC with a CD player, if and only if the CD player offers the option of digital output...by which it bypasses its own DAC and outputs the digital information it has pulled from the CD so that it can processed elsewhere. Generally, only higher end CD players offer this option. This arrangement offers the ability to use a higher quality DAC than the one in the CD player. The digital output from the CD player would go to the external DAC unit, where it would be converted to analog. An external DAC, therefore, has a digital INPUT and analog OUTPUTS. There are differences in the sound of various DAC designs; an external DAC allows the user to choose a different DAC than the one built into their CD player (or computer, or DVD player, etc).

It would be great if you would follow up on threads you have already posted if you have additional questions or confusion.
So I have my cd player connected to my integrated amp thru a coaxial cable. So my amp has a built in DAC. Does the music travel through both DAC's or just bypass the cd player and uses the amp DAC?

If you are sending a digital signal to your amp from the cd player, it "bypasses" the DAC in your cd player.

Remember that the output of a DAC is analog (it's a digital to analog converter.)

The DAC in your amp needs digital input. If you want to hear the DAC in your CD player, feed its analog output to an analog input on your amp (such as AUX).

Note that some AVRs and home theater pre/pros convert all analog input to digital so that it can be processed by various DSP functions, and then convert it back to analog for output to the speakers. Analog to digital requires an ADC...sort of a DAC in reverse.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind if purchasing a higher end player like the Sonys I posted their internal DACs were most likely a good portion of the expense. So cheaping out on a stand alone DAC most likely will degrade the SQ rather than enhance it. If looking to improve on the sound of such players bypassing the DAC expect to lay out more than a few hundred dollars for an outboard DAC.

FWIW the DAC in my Marantz SA8004 can be accessed and used as a stand alone but it is no better than my inexpensive Topping DAC's.

Cheap DAC's have come a long way in just a few years.

marantz_sa8004_super_audio_cd_player.jpg

Does anyone know of a decent quality CD player/DAC with inputs and switching? Maybe this is what the OP is looking for as well. My HT setup has a DVD player with USB in and on screen display but I am looking for a good quality DAC/CD or SACD/Aux with switching Swiss army knife inputs for my 2 channel setup.
Looking for:

Decent (not super high end) quality DAC
Prefer 5 disc but OK with single play
USB in for wired laptop or Bluetooth adapter
Second USB for thumb drive with some kind of simple panel display (track # on thumb drive?)
Maybe mini aux jack in for quick hook up from phone?
Secondary market budget price

Something like this

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hificomponents/cdplayers/dcda100

All CD players have a DAC. At least, if it has RCA analog output jacks. Or are you looking for a CD player, that also has digital inputs? There are players with digital inputs, but they aren't cheap. Pricing starts at around $500 for Marantz and NAD players, with USB inputs. Silver face and digital inputs, never-mind. A Yamaha CD-S2100 goes for $2999.

It seems to me you'd be better off with a decent CD player. Then, when you feel the need to upgrade, add a standalone DAC.

'Luck.

Cambridge has a CD player that does not have a DAC.

Rotel has a couple of modeles ($600-900 range) that got recommended components by the Absolute Sound.

For me, since I don't have a stand alone DAC yet I figured I could get a quality player and use it's converter. As far as lower priced stuff goes it seems this feature is included more in DVD players.

older Sony players have sturdy CD mechanisms (drawers) and lasers -- YMMV

Audio-gd had high praise for them ^ and designed a few Transports around them - now discontinued

Cambridge has a CD player that does not have a DAC.

Rotel has a couple of modeles ($600-900 range) that got recommended components by the Absolute Sound.

No DAC, then it's a CD transport. Popular once, and starting to reappear again now. Somewhat surprising, with the current resurgence of vinyl. But, I've already done the vinyl dance, and moved on. While turntables are beautiful to behold, I'll stick with digital.

Back
Top Bottom