Recommendation For Good-Sounding FM Tuner

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Kratebiker, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Kratebiker

Kratebiker New Member

Hi Everyone!

I finally dumped my home theater receiver, and happy to say am back to cleaner-sounding stereo music!! I recently purchased a Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier, and would like to add a good sounding FM tuner to the system. I do not mind if it is used. Any recommendations that are not break-my-wallet expensive??

Thanks!!!

Steve

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

So many possibilities. Have a look here

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

Check out the black Yamaha ones if you want a matching piece for your amp, many worthy choices and then it depends on what shows up locally.

AstroZon likes this.
  3. heyraz

heyraz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't see how you can go wrong with a used Magnum Dynalab. The factory even offers upgrades on their older models.
    I love mine and it sounds great.
    Check the auction sites and prices.

stish likes this.
  4. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

Finding a low cost but good performing tuner is like an Easter egg hunt.

Just go looking and expect to be pleasantly surprised
    You might come across a toad or two though.

5. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

The Yamahas are a good suggestion. T-1s and TX-950s have sold for cheap lately.
    The T-1 is a solid analog tuner, the 950 is a light little digital that does a great job on
    both AM and FM. The TX-1000 is one of their better-sounding units. T-70, T-80, or
    the dx monster T-85 are also good. Sometimes the sound is called a little sterile or
    reserved, but I don't find it lacking. I think it's just uncolored.

Raynald likes this.
  6. Frank Sol

Frank Sol Addicted Member

Very good recommendations above

Adding the Yamaha T-1020 -- a sleeper sorta. Audio forums like this one will drive up the prices on 'Sleepers'

7. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agreed, I would add the TX-930 which is virtually identical to the excellent 950 mentioned above.

8. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

To my ears and taste (and FWIW), the best sound per dollar spent is likely to be from a Sherwood vacuum tube tuner (S-2000 or S-3000). The one caveat is that most you'll find are mono (although adaptable to stereo, which would obviously add substantially to cost, with minimal real value (see below).

The S-3000IV or S-3000V will have on-board FM MPX stereo. Not beautiful, but they sound good.

[​IMG]Sherwood S3000 V 1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Personally, I would (far) rather listen to excellent quality FM mono than mediocre FM stereo. YMMV, though, of course.

I paid $35 for my S-3000V, though, and used it for several years (very good sounding FM stereo), although, in full disclosure I have replaced it with a McIntosh MR-67. The latter cost rather more than the former. The latter sounds a little better, too -- bass goes deeper. Otherwise, they sound far more similar than different.

9. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

I haven't owned a Yamaha CT-1010 but they are holding their value at $150 and up. They were Yamaha's top affordable tuner below the CT-7000. A black T-7 would probably look nice with your amp.

10. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

[emphasis added]
    No, that would have been the T-2, and their prices on the used market reflect that.
    The CT-1010 is a decent tuner (I have one) but I couldn't imagine paying $150 for one (unless, maybe it were in brand new condition with original, pristine packaging and documentation). I paid $75 for mine which, given its performance and sonics, is about right, I'd say.

[​IMG]DSCN6032 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

11. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

stoutblock likes this.

12. JDub

JDub AK Subscriber Subscriber

It seems as though good digital tuners are available cheaper than comparable sounding analog tuners - but they don't look nearly as cool. I've owned the T80 mentioned above & it's underrated price-wise. I also have a B&K TS108 that is well regarded at fmtunerinfo and wasn't terribly expensive.

13. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Sony XDR-F1HD. Love mine.

14. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

I've never tried one, but judging from the comments I've read about it a Sony ST-J75 is supposed to be an excellent digital tuner on the cheap:

[​IMG]

The image is taken from the Tuner Information Center.

kyrie59 likes this.
  15. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

Thos is likely the best choice. Also look at equivalent units from Sangean, or their new HDT-20 model.

16. Eric n Kc

Eric n Kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey
    Some of the Denon fly under the radar. Check out that fmtunerinfo site mentioned above. Good hunting. Eric

17. Frank Sol

Frank Sol Addicted Member

I have a stock Sony XDR-F1HD and it is a fine tuner as is but when you consider the old retail price 100.00 dollars it is a steal

Mods put it in the stratosphere I'm told

However :) with today's auction prices some very fine analog tuners can be had

18. heyraz

heyraz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Exactly!
    I paid $1350 for my Magnum Dynalab MD90 in the early 2000's.
    I thought about selling it a few years ago because it wasn't getting much use, but when I saw what they were fetching used (like $250) I decided to hold on to it. Very glad I did because there are some fine stations around here and it sounds better than anything streamed. I like the analog tuning, multipath, signal strength and center tune meters as well as the bandwidth and stereo/mono switches. To say that it's a well made unit is an understatement.
    Many times this summer I saw the tuner it replaced (FT101A) for sale on "that auction site" in perfect working order for well under $500.
    If I was looking for another tuner...it would be a used Magnum Dynalab.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  19. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Here's a pitch for the lower end of the food chain:
    I see digital tuners all the time in thrift stores for $5 or less.
    I keep one around for troubleshooting.
    I have had several and they all have tended to work well.
    Pick one up for pocket change and then take your time looking for something better.

I found a Technics ST-7300 a few weeks back for $15 and I really like it.
    It is not high-end gear, but it looks and sounds great, is in a good state of tune, and it is plenty sensitive for normal everyday use.

close-cropped.png

kyrie59 and sinewaver like this.
  20. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ok, let's start with a few questions:
    - What is your price range?
    - What other gear are you matching it with aesthetically and sonically?
    - What are the physical characteristics of your FM market? If you're out in the country far from stations, you want something that is sensitive. If you're in a crowded market, selectivity is more important.
    - What kind of antenna are you using? A great tuner with a crappy antenna is an inefficient allocation of financial resources.

Factor in $ for an alignment and probably a recap if you're looking at anything over 30 years old.