Recommendation for Kappa 6.1

jonnyboy

I recently picked up a pair of Kappa 6.1 series iis at a local thrift and while I'm waiting for the fresh surrounds I've been wondering about how to power them. Currently I have a Yamaha M-50 power amp (120 watts into 8 ohms), a Luxman L-430 (105 watts into 8 ohms) and a Yamaha CR-2040 (120 watts into 8 ohms.) The Infinity website lists these as 6 ohms and 89 dB sensitivity. Would any or all of these drive these speakers adequately? (I suspect they would like even more power, but I am unlikely to be springing for that any time soon.) I've heard the Kappa speakers are pretty demanding, but worth it. These are my first Infinity speakers that weren't from the lower end of the line and I am quite excited to hear them.

The M-50 should do just fine, it's a great amplifier, and would be my first choice, long as you've already got a pre.
The Luxman should do fine also, but I always opt for seperates.
The CR-2040 if you mean the old receiver, was a beast!

I'd

You listed three very capable power plants, any one will power those 6's. Rotate them and pick a favorite, then share what you find with us please.

Congrats .. Hope you like them .. I know I do .. But be prepared for both the good ( they will sound fantastic - with great recodings ) and the bad ( a lot less so with poor rcordings .) I run mine with bi amp 50 watt nad receiver mid tweet / adcom 545 for woofer .. but they definitely would benefit from more power .. I just listen at moderate volume .

kappa refoam done.png

Back
Top Bottom