Recommendation for TT upgrade needed

I'll go for either the PL300 or SL1900
You already got a PL-100. The PL-300 isn't far up the tree. I had a PL-300 on the bench. it's a mass produced cheap plastic fantastic turntable with a relatively ok'ish motor and an horrendous tonearm and everything else. A squeaky little POS. The SL-1900 is leagues above.

You already got a PL-100. The PL-300 isn't far up the tree. I had a PL-300 on the bench. it's a mass produced cheap plastic fantastic turntable with a relatively ok'ish motor and an horrendous tonearm and everything else. A squeaky little POS. The SL-1900 is leagues above.

Thanks! And is the PL-7 a good improvement too? Or is it not to far from the PL-100?

You might consider becoming an AK subscriber which will give you access to Barter Town. It's a marketplace here that's an excellent place to find turntables (and anything else) from people who take care of them and know how to pack and ship. You could even create a Wanted to Buy listing. I'd almost guarantee you'd get a lot of responses.

Of all those you listed so far:

Dual 1218
Marantz TT-2000
Marantz 6270Q
Pioneer PL-7
Technics SL-1900
Technics SL-5100

The Pioneer PL-300 may be considered the best, most versatile by some. :idea:

BTW, even though I was the one who mentioned the Pioneer PL-7 (a friend of mine has that table and likes it), I have an MCS 6700, a slightly upgraded private label version of the Technics SL-1950 (the changer version of the SL-1900) and it is my most used table. Just as rock solid dependable as can be. Which is pretty much the hallmark of Technics direct drive turntables from that era. I'm listening to it right now. It works well with a wide range of cartridges, both vintage and new.

I also have an MCS 6601 (a slightly upgraded version of the Technics SL-2000). It's another rock solid dependable table. Not quite as heavy as the MCS 6700/SL-1950 and semi-auto instead of fully auto, but still a very nice table that is often in my rotation. I often lust after sexier looking tables with fancier looking tonearms, but I could easily live the rest my days in contentment with these two Panasonic-made MCS tables. Given what I paid for them, I can't really fault them in any way.

Of all those you listed so far:

Dual 1218
Marantz TT-2000
Marantz 6270Q
Pioneer PL-7
Technics SL-1900
Technics SL-5100

The Pioneer PL-300 may be considered the best, most versatile by some. :idea:

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the Marantz. If I can get a PL-300 for less, I might just go with that one.

BTW, even though I was the one who mentioned the Pioneer PL-7 (a friend of mine has that table and likes it), I have an MCS 6700, a slightly upgraded private label version of the Technics SL-1950 (the changer version of the SL-1900) and it is my most used table. Just as rock solid dependable as can be. Which is pretty much the hallmark of Technics direct drive turntables from that era. I'm listening to it right now. It works well with a wide range of cartridges, both vintage and new.

I also have an MCS 6601 (a slightly upgraded version of the Technics SL-2000). It's another rock solid dependable table. Not quite as heavy as the MCS 6700/SL-1950 and semi-auto instead of fully auto, but still a very nice table that is often in my rotation. I often lust after sexier looking tables with fancier looking tonearms, but I could easily live the rest my days in contentment with these two Panasonic-made MCS tables. Given what I paid for them, I can't really fault them in any way.

I doubt I will find those MCS you are speaking of. The ad for the PL-7 disappeared for some reasons, but I see the same ad multiple times...

So it all comes down to the SL-1900 or the PL-300?

I like my Technics SL-1600. Has been quite reliable with a belt change every 10 years or so and sounds good to me.
I also like my Duals, a 621 and a 721 sit side by side to play DJ, and both have been very good.
Sure, you could go alot fancier and pricier, but what's your limit?
Everyone knows how the audio game works; Logrithmic price increases for linear performance increases.
And I agree with people above; Get yourself a nice cartridge and needle. Doesn;t have to be a Jade Koetsu or anything.
A desirable model Denon or Stanton or Grado with a good stick can make all the difference in the world...

I like my Technics SL-1600. Has been quite reliable with a belt change every 10 years or so and sounds good to me.
I also like my Duals, a 621 and a 721 sit side by side to play DJ, and both have been very good.
Sure, you could go alot fancier and pricier, but what's your limit?
Everyone knows how the audio game works; Logrithmic price increases for linear performance increases.
And I agree with people above; Get yourself a nice cartridge and needle. Doesn;t have to be a Jade Koetsu or anything.
A desirable model Denon or Stanton or Grado with a good stick can make all the difference in the world...

Yeah, I already have the Grado Black since a few years... Might need to change it or have it checked... The limit would be around 200$. I'll check to be a subscriber here so that I can have a look at what users have to sell, might find something there.

Yeah, I already have the Grado Black since a few years... Might need to change it or have it checked... The limit would be around 200$. I'll check to be a subscriber here so that I can have a look at what users have to sell, might find something there.
I am a Grado fan too, as well as other catridges. My favorite now is a Pickering XSV-3000 which does everything well, but,
What I can recommend is getting an older model Grado cart cheap.... and they aren;t expensive now.... like a GF or F series from the late 70's and 80's, and stick a $150 8MZ needle in it....
Man, that's the cat's meow for a combination an all for less than $200 for everything....
And the nice thing about that 8MZ needle is it will fit just about any other old Grado cartridge you might want to experiment with..
Good luck and enjoy the music :rockon:

I am a Grado fan too, as well as other catridges. My favorite now is a Pickering XSV-3000 which does everything well, but,
What I can recommend is getting an older model Grado cart cheap.... and they aren;t expensive now.... like a GF or F series from the late 70's and 80's, and stick a $150 8MZ needle in it....
Man, that's the cat's meow for a combination an all for less than $200 for everything....
And the nice thing about that 8MZ needle is it will fit just about any other old Grado cartridge you might want to experiment with..
Good luck and enjoy the music :rockon:

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind when I'll get my new TT :D

Yep, remember that 8MZ needle... and there's a 8MCZ too I've not heard... It brings any Grado cart to a new level..
Same voluptuous midrange but adds a more sizzling high end and deeper bass where most stock Grado's start to roll off....
I really like that needle...... reminds me to get another one just to have as a spare!!

I'm one of those guys who believes that, once you commit to vinyl, that you should continue saving and looking until you find EXACTLY the turntable you want. When I ventured into the market a few years ago, I started with a Technics 1600. It was an excellent table, but I wanted more. Eventually, I picked up a couple Marantz decks (mostly because I was collecting Marantz gear), but the performance wasn't quite what I wanted - although the looks were exactly what I wanted. Then I found the Technics SL-MA1. It combined the looks and performance I wanted. It was so good that I bought another one. People grumble about the p-mount carts, but I found several good ones and found excellent styli for them.

I'm not suggesting you follow the same path. However, I do suggest you ask yourself if you want performance, looks, or both. Once you make that decision, get familiar with the tables that offer exactly what you're looking for. Then keep searching until you find it. If it's as good as you hoped it would be, buy a second deck (if only for parts).

I doubt I will find those MCS you are speaking of.

So it all comes down to the SL-1900 or the PL-300?

MCS was a J.C. Penney house brand. Many of their turntables were built by Panasonic, who also built the Technics turntables. So, both designs share many common parts (drive trains, tonearms, patters, etc.). Although J.C. Penney stores were once ubiquitous in the States, I don't believe they ever opened any stores in Canada. I only mentioned them in relation to their Technics brethren - specifically, the Technics SL-1900 you are interested in shares the same drive train, platter and tonearm as the MCS 6700 I have and should offer comparable performance and reliability.

So, verdict is that I will buy the PL-300 for 150$ with a JVC receiver, JVC speakers and some records... All stuff I don't need... But hey, I think it's a nice deal if I can make 50$ for the rest :D Thanks for the help "audiokarmers"?

My choice would be the sansui sr-212. I am currently using a sansui sr-2050c and like it a lot. I am partial to belt drive over direct drive as I feel that they are easier to fix should issues arise.

Back
Top Bottom